Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 06:21 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,107,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
My son graduated high school and i want to move back to bridgeville where it is walkable. I tried to get my wife to look at this but she said no. It is a unique house in a nice area close to the airport especially with the new interstate opening soon.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-13273?view=qv

Yeah I always forget about bridgeville. Not a bad area at all just anymore there is little reason for me to go down that far. I will say I personally love that house except for the kitchen cabinet color which that my wife would love. I think from the front it reminds me of a converted firehouse or something. It is very much a reminder of a coastal home too where few have any real living on the ground floor due to flooding potential
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,349,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah I always forget about bridgeville. Not a bad area at all just anymore there is little reason for me to go down that far. I will say I personally love that house except for the kitchen cabinet color which that my wife would love. I think from the front it reminds me of a converted firehouse or something. It is very much a reminder of a coastal home too where few have any real living on the ground floor due to flooding potential
I would have those cabinets sprayed a different color before the ink dried on the closing papers.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:41 PM

179 posts, read 105,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Beaver is nicer than Beaver Falls, generally speaking, and Beaver is closer to the airport than Beaver Falls. All things considered Beaver wouldn't be a bad commute to the airport, actually.
Beaver is a nice town. Lot's of solid houses under $300k too.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:47 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,523,626 times
The kids in Beaver County have taken up making terrorist threats. Maybe not the best place.

Old 09-04-2019, 05:57 PM

41,018 posts, read 17,992,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
The kids in Beaver County have taken up making terrorist threats. Maybe not the best place.
No reason to be scared in Beaver. It’s a great town. It is, however, a dry town other than recently being able to get beer. However, Mario’s is BYOB and there’s some good options just outside of town.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:06 PM

615 posts, read 389,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
I had posted that our oldest child might be moving to Pittsburgh, but that never happened. However, my husband and I want so badly to escape the heat of where we currently live. We've lived in PA before, but nowhere near Pittsburgh. We want to semi-retire (I will work PT as a nurse), so we NEED to keep the budget low. Being close to the airport would be great, but if our price range limits that, we are okay with it since he won't be working forever. We would like to keep our budget below $300,000. What areas are recommended at that price range?

Thanks!
I moved from the city of Pittsburgh to Weirton, WV. I am a 30 minute drive from the airport. 20 minutes from Robinson and 40 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh during non rush hours.

You won’t get an easier drive to the airport than from here, unless you live right in moon. Taxes are lower here and more folks are living here because of the natural gas drilling, resurgence in local manufacturing and close proximity to Pittsburgh with very cheap taxes. Our children attend Hancock county schools and it is equivalent to a keystone oaks or Carlynton with academics. That doesn’t matter to you because kids are out of school.

It is a great bedroom community over here with good local shopping on three springs drive, fort Steuben mall in Steubenville or Robinson without the high taxes of pa. Our family loves it here, very safe, affordable and local officials are working hard to make this part of West Virginia working for everybody.

I hope you drive out here and it least give it a look. Going to Pittsburgh is a treat for us. And you may find out less is more with Pittsburgh and Allegheny county. We sure did.

A lot of folks recommended good places. Beaver County is good and especially beaver borough. It is a grand little town.

Anyways come out here and take a look around Weirton. We have a new housing development going in off the colliers way exit on rte.22. Pa is literally a mile down the road.

Good luck and let us know where you end up

Old 09-05-2019, 10:08 AM

942 posts, read 2,506,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
My son graduated high school and i want to move back to bridgeville where it is walkable. I tried to get my wife to look at this but she said no. It is a unique house in a nice area close to the airport especially with the new interstate opening soon.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-13273?view=qv
Very nice views! Thanks for sharing!

Old 09-05-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
I moved from the city of Pittsburgh to Weirton, WV. I am a 30 minute drive from the airport. 20 minutes from Robinson and 40 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh during non rush hours.

You won’t get an easier drive to the airport than from here, unless you live right in moon. Taxes are lower here and more folks are living here because of the natural gas drilling, resurgence in local manufacturing and close proximity to Pittsburgh with very cheap taxes. Our children attend Hancock county schools and it is equivalent to a keystone oaks or Carlynton with academics. That doesn’t matter to you because kids are out of school.

It is a great bedroom community over here with good local shopping on three springs drive, fort Steuben mall in Steubenville or Robinson without the high taxes of pa. Our family loves it here, very safe, affordable and local officials are working hard to make this part of West Virginia working for everybody.

I hope you drive out here and it least give it a look. Going to Pittsburgh is a treat for us. And you may find out less is more with Pittsburgh and Allegheny county. We sure did.

A lot of folks recommended good places. Beaver County is good and especially beaver borough. It is a grand little town.

Anyways come out here and take a look around Weirton. We have a new housing development going in off the colliers way exit on rte.22. Pa is literally a mile down the road.

Good luck and let us know where you end up
Thanks for the suggestion! The prices definately look better

Old 09-05-2019, 10:13 AM

I appreciate the responses! I was a bit surprised that the COL in Pittsburgh is relatively high. My goal is to have no mortgage, so sticking to our price point is important. I'm going to take a trip to Minneapolis this weekend, Grand Rapids in October, and Pittsburgh in October, and compare the three. Pittsburgh is at the top of my list, but getting there is a bit more challenging over a long weekend.

Again, thank you!

Old 09-05-2019, 11:19 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,254,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
I appreciate the responses! I was a bit surprised that the COL in Pittsburgh is relatively high. My goal is to have no mortgage, so sticking to our price point is important. I'm going to take a trip to Minneapolis this weekend, Grand Rapids in October, and Pittsburgh in October, and compare the three. Pittsburgh is at the top of my list, but getting there is a bit more challenging over a long weekend.

Again, thank you!
Welcome in advance!

I don't find the cost-of-living in Pittsburgh to be relatively high. I will say the "cheap housing" thing is way overblown, though. If you want a "nice", "newer", "modern" home here in a decent, safe area with good schools it's only going to be cheaper here than in the stratospherically-expensive areas like the SF Bay Area, LA, NYC, NoVA, Seattle, Miami, or Boston. Otherwise housing here is pretty average in terms of price. Yes, you can rent a studio here for $600/month. It's probably going to be a piece of garbage that hasn't been renovated since 1970 and sited in a questionable neighborhood (or a nice neighborhood FAR from the city), though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh