U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM

2,531 posts, read 687,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
One year, when I was in college in Massachusetts, I lived in a municipality which didn't have trash pickup. Basically we needed to drive our own trash down to the town dump. The academic year didn't align with the yearly permitting for trash service though. They gave me a partial-year discount for the first portion of the year, but wanted me to pay for a full second year even though I wasn't going to be there for more than a few months. As gross college students, we kinda let the garbage pile up in our apartment in bags for awhile, then made runs to campus to drop it off in their dumpsters.

Now, that indeed is "giving it the old college try!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM
gg

18,088 posts, read 18,462,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I worked for a guy who had a trash company with his brother, they had absolutely no mafia ties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM

Old Today, 08:04 AM

17 posts, read 4,649 times
I can take a good joke, and there definitely is some truth to the relationship between trash collection and the mafia. It's just that after 30 years of people responding that "Oh, your family is in the "garbage" business", it's gets old.

My parents would be contacted by the police a few times each year to find out if an individual whose trash was found over a hill or in a dumpster was a paying customer. They never were, but when questioned why their trash was found, they always replied that it must have been the garbage man. The idea of my dad just randomly throwing a customer's garbage over a hill is ridiculous.

Old Today, 08:35 AM

630 posts, read 233,206 times
It's a half truth. My uncle also owned a garbage business long ago here, he has long passed but he was not associated with the mafia in any manner but his business was actually sold due to pressure by some who where but this was also like 30+years ago.

Old Today, 08:43 AM

87,267 posts, read 103,354,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statistician_5 View Post
If you live in Fox Chapel borough, trash service is provided through your property taxes by Vogel Sanitation (and as mentioned, it's garage door pick-up). That is, you don't pay a fee for it separately and they pick it up outside your garage door rather than the curb. O'Hara Township uses Waste Management for services. I don't know if that is township based (i.e. the township pays for service through collected taxes) or if it is an individual contract between residence and Waste Management.

Many municipalities contract with a waste management company for service as it tends to be a bit cheaper. There is only one invoice for the entire municipality, rather than the company having to bill each residence/commercial business separately. And the onus is on the municipality to enforce trash pick-up rules, rather than the company.

My parents ran a trash collection business for nearly 50 years and you would be surprised at the number of people who don't want to pay to have their trash picked up, even when it is required by the municipality.
Wow! I'd like that!

Old Today, 09:14 AM

17 posts, read 4,649 times
It's an awesome perk. Of course my 13 year old whose job it is to take out the trash thinks it's torture.

It does come at a premium cost though. At least here in Fox Chapel I feel like we receive services in return for the taxes paid. Our tax rate in Baltimore City was higher than here, for much less in return. One of the motivating factors for leaving Baltimore was the sad state of affairs of the city and the schools.

Old Today, 10:22 AM

30,422 posts, read 67,735,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statistician_5 View Post
It's an awesome perk. Of course my 13 year old whose job it is to take out the trash thinks it's torture.

It does come at a premium cost though. At least here in Fox Chapel I feel like we receive services in return for the taxes paid. Our tax rate in Baltimore City was higher than here, for much less in return. One of the motivating factors for leaving Baltimore was the sad state of affairs of the city and the schools.
I live in the city and think we have adequate/decent services overall. There are SOME suburbs that are truly exceptional with services (Fox Chapel, Etna, O'Hara Township, Mt. Lebanon---to name a few). Then there are others that do a worse job than the city despite all the trolls on Facebook saying how badly the city "sucks".

Old Today, 12:15 PM
gg

18,088 posts, read 18,462,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I live in the city and think we have adequate/decent services overall. There are SOME suburbs that are truly exceptional with services (Fox Chapel, Etna, O'Hara Township, Mt. Lebanon---to name a few). Then there are others that do a worse job than the city despite all the trolls on Facebook saying how badly the city "sucks".
When I lived in the city of Pittsburgh, I felt garbage pickup was fine and they took everything. Even tires.

Old Today, 12:41 PM

30,422 posts, read 67,735,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
When I lived in the city of Pittsburgh, I felt garbage pickup was fine and they took everything. Even tires.
Earlier this year I was miffed. It was my first time participating in the city's semi-annual yard waste curbside pick-up. I put my lawn & leaf bags out as instructed. They were never picked up. I called, and they gave me a make-up day. I put them back out as instructed. They were never picked up. I called again and was told to just put them out with my regular trash. This irked me because the whole point of the separate pick-up was supposed to be to keep those lawn & leaf bags OUT of the landfills. Judging by NextDoor a ton of others in the city were missed, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh