Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 07:36 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Verona is a semi-urban "mill town" borough located along the south bank of the Allegheny 13 miles upriver from Downtown Pittsburgh, between Penn Hills and Oakmont.

Growth in population in the area now around Verona/Oakmont dates back to 1856, when the Allegheny Valley Railroad connecting Pittsburgh to Kittanning was opened. Verona was incorporated in 1871 from territory which was part of Penn and Plum townships, and by 1880, it already had 1600 people. Early on employment was based upon a roundhouse around the location of the current Riverview Children's Center, plus some mills just to the north which serviced the railroad (iron works, tool works, steel castings, etc). Substantial population growth in Verona mostly took place between 1900 and 1919, with the population peaking in 1940 at just under 4,400. Similar to other late 19th/early 20th century mill towns in Allegheny County, a long period of decline then set in, though not quite a steep as in some other places. The current borough population is a bit north of 2,400.

Verona is a very geographically split area today. Starting at the river there are a series of small piers and a residential neighborhood. Some of these houses are among the oldest in the borough, dating back to its founding, but the risk of floods in this area has led to many vacant lots, along with some later mid-20th century townhouse infill. Then there is the AVRR track which for many decades was the natural dividing line in the borough. East and West Railroad Avenue are on either side of this, with East Railroad Avenue originally functioning as Verona's "Main Street" before Jones Street became Allegheny River Boulevard. The most walkable part of Verona's business district only spans a bit over a block, but packs in a lot, including two coffee shops, Thai restaurant, neighborhood bars, a bicycle store, tattoo parlors, doggy daycares, banks, etc. Heading up the hill to the east are the residential streets the majority of the population of Verona now lives on. While this area contains some 19th century homes, but on the whole is streetcar suburban in feel. Above 4th Street it directly grades into a Penn Hills neighborhood confusingly called "Verona Hilltop." I have met lifelong Pittsburghers who falsely believe that this is part of Verona in the Penn Hills SD.

Verona is a neighborhood in transition - although to what is still not clear. Verona long had only a trivially small black population, but this has changed in recent years with black Penn Hills residents moving across the border in search of a safer community with better schools, with the local black population climbing from only around 2% to over 10% in just ten years. The attitude towards these newcomers moving into Verona has been mixed to say the least, and there is the possibility that generalized white flight similar to what continues to happen in the Mon Valley will take place. At the same time the walkable business district and newfound investment in Oakmont immediately adjacent have raised Verona's profile in the region. As of now, however, Verona remains a largely healthy and intact working-class town.

Last edited by eschaton; 09-10-2018 at 08:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 07:48 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Verona was always known as the place where the mob dumped the bodies.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Above 4th Street it directly grades into a Penn Hills neighborhood confusingly called "Verona Hilltop." I have met lifelong Pittsburghers who falsely believe that this is part of Verona in the Penn Hills SD.

As of now, however, Verona remains a largely healthy and intact working-class town.
I think the confusing regarding "Verona Hilltop", is because it has a Verona mailing address.

Been around Verona all my life and have friend that live there. It seems pretty stable at this time, but there is a tipping point. It is a pretty tough little town for sure. I think it will be fine for many years to come as Oakmont is just too expensive for many, so Verona is just next door. It has a very good Giant Eagle IMHO. One of the few good ones. All and all Verona isn't a bad place to live, but it has drug issues and some small crime crap. Nothing too big though.

Nice writeup as always.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:35 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...nt?oid=1340563

I remembered this article from the City Paper, didn't realize it was 10 years ago.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...nt?oid=1340563
I remembered this article from the City Paper, didn't realize it was 10 years ago.
Wow, 10 years ago. Interesting article and pretty much holds true today as far as I hear from people I know there. Most just don't want shootings and crime to escalate like we see in other black communities. You can't really blame people since that is all they see every day on the news.

Anyway, Verona is a stable place these days and probably at least in the next 10 years. For all we know if they ever connect that area with a bike path, it will take off as it isn't that far from the East End.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:34 AM
gg

I stopped by Verona the other day and it is very clear it is going in a good direction. Coffee shop, cider house with good food, brewpub that is already very popular with outdoor seating to name a couple of things going on. Also, something I noticed at the cider place is the sidewalks are quite large on the main drag and the street below that are very conducive for outdoor seating which are being used accordingly. Verona's downtown is actually two streets and a nice size for a small town. I never would have thought I would be sitting outside on a large sidewalk with ample seating eating and enjoying a beverage in Verona. I also feel Verona is welcoming these new businesses. I just feel this is yet another place going in a good direction and think the downtown will slowly revitalize.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:45 AM

2,555 posts, read 2,677,377 times
I lived basically across the river from Verona 14 years ago. I never felt Verona was bad then and would've lived there if I had reason to just move across the river. It's good that it seems to be on the upswing despite the strife described. Enhancing community based activities and schools there can definitely support/improve the integration.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:50 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I lived basically across the river from Verona 14 years ago. I never felt Verona was bad then and would've lived there if I had reason to just move across the river. It's good that it seems to be on the upswing despite the strife described. Enhancing community based activities and schools there can definitely support/improve the integration.
If it could be connected via bike path it would really go crazy. Flat easy ride from there to the East End until you hit the zoo hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh