U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 07:36 PM

489 posts, read 168,694 times

Advertisements

This is a good idea. And itís free!!! Itís refreshing to see one of the local colleges that ďget itĒ. Albeit CCAC and not the highly coveted universities charging insane amounts for pieces of paper when 50 percent of those grads leave the region.

The gas drilling, plastics manufacturing and other spinoffs are the future of the Pittsburgh metro area. This is an exciting time. There are going to be a lot of good jobs along the Ohio River from the beaver valley down to Moundsville WV. These will be good paying jobs....

https://www.wesa.fm/post/ccac-offeri...astics-economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 07:15 AM
gg

18,103 posts, read 18,471,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
The gas drilling, plastics manufacturing and other spinoffs are the future of the Pittsburgh metro area.
Um, I think hospitals/medical will still be king of our region. After that it is education, but I feel that college thing is a bubble waiting to burst. Can't wait for that to happen. Hope I witness it. I don't think we will get back into huge manufacturing, but at some point it probably will return slowly. Just a cycle like anything.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:25 AM

30,434 posts, read 67,749,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Um, I think hospitals/medical will still be king of our region. After that it is education, but I feel that college thing is a bubble waiting to burst. Can't wait for that to happen. Hope I witness it. I don't think we will get back into huge manufacturing, but at some point it probably will return slowly. Just a cycle like anything.
I honestly think that with Millennials having fewer and fewer children, then that will mean not only will there be fewer teenagers in the coming years choosing to go to college because of the dire need of people to fill the trades, but also there will just be fewer younger people overall. So if you take fewer teenagers to begin with and then say that instead of ~2/3 going on to college only ~1/2 will go on to college, then universities are going to feel the squeeze. I'd expect many more colleges and universities announcing layoffs in the coming years.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:44 AM

7,859 posts, read 4,709,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post

The gas drilling, plastics manufacturing and other spinoffs are the future of the Pittsburgh metro area. This is an exciting time. There are going to be a lot of good jobs along the Ohio River from the beaver valley down to Moundsville WV. These will be good paying jobs....

That sounds like a nightmare

Old 09-05-2019, 08:40 AM

632 posts, read 234,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I honestly think that with Millennials having fewer and fewer children, then that will mean not only will there be fewer teenagers in the coming years choosing to go to college because of the dire need of people to fill the trades, but also there will just be fewer younger people overall. So if you take fewer teenagers to begin with and then say that instead of ~2/3 going on to college only ~1/2 will go on to college, then universities are going to feel the squeeze. I'd expect many more colleges and universities announcing layoffs in the coming years.

I dont think colleges will feel any squeeze, maybe the number of teens go down slightly but my kids are 21 and 25 and most of their friends families only have 1 or 2 children so I think we've been at a low # of children for a while and it hasn't hurt. Have you been in a college lately? There are plenty of out of country students to make up for any slowdown we would have anyway.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,395 posts, read 55,361,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I dont think colleges will feel any squeeze, maybe the number of teens go down slightly but my kids are 21 and 25 and most of their friends families only have 1 or 2 children so I think we've been at a low # of children for a while and it hasn't hurt. Have you been in a college lately? There are plenty of out of country students to make up for any slowdown we would have anyway.
Yes, and they pay a lot more tuition so the colleges are happy to get them.

I don't see a big return in manufacturing, it's just too costly to start up from scratch and to meet the payroll costs. Instead, the manufacturing will just shift from China to Mexico, Vietnam, Korea, India, or elsewhere until eventually another administration removes the tariffs.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:27 PM

1,113 posts, read 947,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, and they pay a lot more tuition so the colleges are happy to get them.

I don't see a big return in manufacturing, it's just too costly to start up from scratch and to meet the payroll costs. Instead, the manufacturing will just shift from China to Mexico, Vietnam, Korea, India, or elsewhere until eventually another administration removes the tariffs.
Agreed that there won't be a big return of manufacturing in the US. Eventually automation will replace most all manufacturing jobs even in cheaper labor countries. Its not all that far off where its just exponentially more profitable to have machines do these jobs 24 hours a day with no risk of hazard or downtime of people being sick or tired, hungry, or need for bathroom breaks etc.

Old 09-05-2019, 02:39 PM

30,434 posts, read 67,749,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Agreed that there won't be a big return of manufacturing in the US. Eventually automation will replace most all manufacturing jobs even in cheaper labor countries. Its not all that far off where its just exponentially more profitable to have machines do these jobs 24 hours a day with no risk of hazard or downtime of people being sick or tired, hungry, or need for bathroom breaks etc.
Let's hope that our Congressional representatives realize the need for a basic universal income in the future once there aren't enough jobs available for everyone due to widespread automation.

Old 09-05-2019, 03:53 PM

1,113 posts, read 947,089 times
Quote:
Let's hope that our Congressional representatives realize the need for a basic universal income in the future once there aren't enough jobs available for everyone due to widespread automation.
its probably going to be a reality at some point. Just hard to say when the tipping point will be and how it will be implemented. IMO, its a better idea than what Bernie promotes as a giant jobs program that anyone that wants a good job will get one. That just screams over bloated bureaucracy with hole diggers and hole fillers that produce nothing. Id rather let people have more freedom if we are going that general route.

Im actually ok with UBI, the big problem is that eventually the UBI number will become inflated away to a real value of close to nothing. If people don't learn better money habits, they are doomed to be broke no matter what their income. Id be extremely doubtful that the UBI payments would keep pace with the inflation that it creates.

from a basic supply demand metric, if everyone now has more money, there will be more demand for certain goods and services at the higher level. The more demand, the higher the prices will go. Housing costs will most certainly be affected pretty quickly if implemented.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:34 PM

489 posts, read 168,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
That sounds like a nightmare
So you dislike job growth and opportunities for younger folks that didn’t exist when you were coming of age? What’s the problem?

Quote:
You are already seeing it. There are too many colleges and not enough folks. Most jobs need an associate degree or on the job training nowadays. If it does go this way Pittsburgh will most certainly feel the negative affects. CMU maybe not as much due to the international draw, but the others including Pitt, yep I agree. They aren’t learning institutions anymore either. There is a disconnect between college education and skills needed to succeed in the working world. It’s really not worth going to a school like Pitt, when you can go to CCAC and work in the oil and gas industry making real money. Also colleges are becoming propaganda machines to fill everybody’s head that extremely liberal policy is good for everybody. The result is grown children thinking their thoughts and feelings are right and are unable to see reality right in front of their faces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I disagree it is already happening. Pa state university system is in grave decline. Wheeling Jesuit almost permanently closed and state schools in neighboring states are in bad shape too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or