U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,812 times

Advertisements

Hi
My fiancee and I have lived in Squirrell Hill (liked it a lot) and the Mexican War Streets (liked it, but feared for our lives) and are now looking to buy. We thought we were set on Dormont because of its downtown-y area and access to the T (I work in E. Liberty, she works in Moon Area) but we think we found our dream home in Greentree (still part of Pittsburgh). I know nothing about Greentree. Can someone give me the basics? How is it re:

A) Public Transportation
B) Places to buy stuff (Grocery stores)
C) Independent restaurants, shops, etc.
D) People
E) Access
F) Crime
G) Walking a dog (Parks and stuff)

Thanks

Jakc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM

125 posts, read 269,358 times
Hi there! I live in Banksville, which is literally one street away from Greentree. I can try to help with your questions.

A) Public Transportation - there are a lot of busses to downtown at least on Greentree Road. I think ridegold.com is the website for Port Authority, but if you are just looking to go into the city, you will be fine.

B) Places to buy stuff (Grocery stores) - There is a Giant Eagle at the end of Greentree Road (not sure of the name of that street). There is also a Giant Eagle in Parkway Center Mall. There is a Shop 'N Save in Westwood, which is relatively close to Greentree. There is a Wal-Mart in Bridgeville, which is pretty close, but is not the really huge kind, it does sell some food there though.

C) Independent restaurants, shops, etc. - at the end of Greentree Rd. (where the Giant Eagle is), there are a number of smaller shops and at least a few restaurants that are really good (there is one with amazing Zucchini, but I am blanking on the name right now). There is a Vincent's Pizza, which isn't a chain, but I think has a few locations. I have never been to Mendoza Express (Corner of Noblestown and Mansfield), but I hear it has amazing authentic Mexican food.

D) People - the people are friendly. A lot of people like to walk, run, and jog on Greentree Road since it's relatively flat and people say hello to you when you're passing them. My neighbors are great, but very different from the neighbors my family had in our previous neighborhood (Crafton Heights). There, it was more of a community and I felt all the neighbors were super close, but here our neighbors are polite and friendly, but not too involved w/each other's lives. That could just be my neighboorhood though.

E) Access - not sure what this means, sorry!

F) Crime - not worried about it at all. My family leaves our doors unlocked every night, and I park on the street and don't worry about my car getting broken into. I feel safe walking alone at night. Really, I think it's a completely safe area.

G) Walking a dog (Parks and stuff) - I don't have a dog, but I know there are some trails by Aiken Elementary School that my dad goes walking on... not sure if it's pet friendly, though. There is a park close to my house that's in Greentree - it has a small playground, a basketball court, tennis courts, and a big open area that would probably be nice for a dog.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know, I would be happy to help!

Old 04-17-2008, 02:05 PM

805 posts, read 2,027,686 times
Plain & Simple... Greentree ROCKS!--Close to everything, and just as nice as Dormont.

Go for it!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:10 PM

52 posts, read 131,214 times
I think I might be able to address your access question...if you mean access to highways, Green Tree is ideal. It's right on the Parkway west, close to I-79 and the airport and just a five-minute drive to downtown.

Green Tree also has a dog park for its residents. I think you have to apply for a membership through the borough office.

As an FYI, Green Tree is two words. It took me forever to learn that...but Greentree Road is one word.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:00 PM

33 posts, read 286,440 times
I LOVE GREENTREE A friend of mine lived there. There is a few giant eagles and plenty of restaurants. It's really easy to get into the city because its right of off 279. Without traffic, you can be downtown in 10-15 mins. I'm actually moving in July, and its one of the areas I'm looking to rent in. Plus, my friend who lived there before, is looking for houses in that area as well. Beautiful area

Old 10-02-2009, 08:29 AM

12,929 posts, read 19,470,015 times
I was just browsing for Asian populations in the Pittsburgh area...(my wife is Asian)...I saw the ZIP CODE 15220 (Parkway Central) which is apparently also GREENTREE is in that area.

I read 6.4% Asian for zip code 15220 which is about the same as Squirrel Hill 15217.

For anyone who is out there...is it noticeable? Any good Asian markets or Asian restaurants in the Greentree or Zip 15220 Area?

Old 10-02-2009, 08:41 AM

13,103 posts, read 10,597,530 times
The South Asian population is a lot more visible in the Greentree/Banksville area than the East Asian population, at least to my eyes. There are a few small Indian groceries and restaurants in the neighborhood.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 AM

7,360 posts, read 7,383,882 times
i worked in green tree for a few years, in parkway center. i wouldn't move there myself since i like living in more urban areas, but i can see the appeal. it's very car-focused, not that walkable, but there's a lot within a short drive and it's very convenient to the city. one of my favorite indian restaurants in the city (for buffet at least), tamarind, is at the end of green tree road, in scott town center. mendoza express is also very good.

one really underrated neighborhood in that area is the west end. they have a really lovely little arts/shopping district full of independent businesses, and arguably the best donut shop in the city (better maid).

Old 10-02-2009, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the information here...sounds less appealing (for living), although certainly interesting in checking out and driving around.

The car-focused, not that walkable, and not Pacific Asians as I was assuming (nothing against Indian Asian - amazing restaurants! - but easy to just drive to that area).

Very informative.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:35 AM

How about CRAFTON? It is neighboring Greentree..I was just viewing some other threads...and some positive things were said about it. But is it also very car-oriented and not so good for walking as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh