U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:24 PM

87 posts, read 115,454 times

Advertisements

Hello all! A couple of years ago, I posted about my husband possibly getting a promotion. Well, now it's soon becoming a reality...like in the next few weeks. We are closing on our current house in Texas on Oct 14th. We have decided to rent. Now, here comes the issues:

1) My husband's new job is in New Castle. He reeeeeeeeeeeeeally wants to live in Downtown Pittsburgh at one of the renovated buildings. Is this the commute from hell? I saw online it's about at hour each way. He drives about 45 minutes each way here in Houston, but we don't have snow to contend with.

2) We are a gay married couple. We don't have any kids, just 3 cats (another issue in and of itself). I am more unsure of living in a small town than my husband is. We have looked at places online in Youngstown, but hubby just isn't impressed by it. If we went there, he still wants a downtown apartment.

Soooo I guess my question is if Downtown Pittsburgh needs to be crossed off the list? If we go further north, where would be the best option. Cranberry seems quite expensive, but I guess it's somewhat similar to the suburbs we have here in Houston. I personally would love to live in Downtown Pittsburgh as well, but just fear the commute will kill him. Not sure if his ability to work from home.

Thank you for any help you can provide. I'm nervous, anxious, and a tad depressed about leaving everything down here. (Oh and I work as an occupational therapist at a hospital, so if y'all have any leads, that'd be awesome!)

Scott
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 PM

12,160 posts, read 6,649,939 times
Depending on where you might choose to live in downtown Pittsburgh, his commute will be at least 1 hour to New Castle.

Cranberry is great and I highly recommend it, but it’s certainly not anywhere close to city living. A bit further north is Zelienople which is very nice, but again, not anywhere close to city living.

Lots of hospitals in the area. You should have no issues finding a job.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:36 PM
gg

20,713 posts, read 20,022,638 times
The commute is about an hour. It isn't out of the question. It isn't a hard drive and I wouldn't worry about snow much. Can he work from home at all? If he could just work at home one day a week, that would be huge. There are places like the North Side, but that doesn't save you enough time to matter.

I think you could consider it. Try and get close to 279N, but he will probably leave before traffic is going downtown much. I say go for it.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 7,653,665 times
Have you considered Beaver Falls? It's where Mr. Belvedere was set.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:00 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,832,456 times
You should buy one of those Victorian houses in the historic district in downtown New Castle. You could probably buy one for much cheaper than rent downtown.

You'd probably like downtown Sewickley, New Brighton, Butler, or Beaver. They're not like downtown Pittsburgh, but they are charming and walkable and semi-urban. Youngstown is a depressed area, but the downtown has made huge strides.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:29 PM

13,124 posts, read 13,207,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
You'd probably like downtown Sewickley, New Brighton, Butler, or Beaver. They're not like downtown Pittsburgh, but they are charming and walkable and semi-urban. Youngstown is a depressed area, but the downtown has made huge strides.
Yeah, I broadly concur with this. Both Beaver and Sewickley in particular are cute walkable small towns with a fair amount of shopping and restaurants. Both even have grocery stores right in the central business district, IIRC. Butler is okay, but it's a more economically mixed area. New Brighton is a kind of left-field suggestion - I honestly think Zelienople or even Ellwood City are a bit more interesting.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:33 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,550 times
id say move downtown and then start looking for new work opportunities closer to where you live. Id be willing to bet that your husband could find a better or equivalent job in the same field within a much closer drive. Depending on exact location of where you live and work combined with random traffic or weather the drive could easily become 1.5 hours on some days. most would days would probably be 60-75min.

have you visited the area yet? you very well may find that some of the neighborhoods outside of downtown are more to your liking. Lawrenceville, the strip district and shadyside are all good choices to look into. However, the commute to New castle gets even worse the further east you live.

In what field does your husband work? You have an abundance of work opportunity in the healthcare field so no issues there.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:36 AM

170 posts, read 43,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbmccoy View Post
Hello all! A couple of years ago, I posted about my husband possibly getting a promotion. Well, now it's soon becoming a reality...like in the next few weeks. We are closing on our current house in Texas on Oct 14th. We have decided to rent. Now, here comes the issues:

1) My husband's new job is in New Castle. He reeeeeeeeeeeeeally wants to live in Downtown Pittsburgh at one of the renovated buildings. Is this the commute from hell? I saw online it's about at hour each way. He drives about 45 minutes each way here in Houston, but we don't have snow to contend with.

2) We are a gay married couple. We don't have any kids, just 3 cats (another issue in and of itself). I am more unsure of living in a small town than my husband is. We have looked at places online in Youngstown, but hubby just isn't impressed by it. If we went there, he still wants a downtown apartment.

Soooo I guess my question is if Downtown Pittsburgh needs to be crossed off the list? If we go further north, where would be the best option.
I used to commute to Cranberry from Scott Twp (about 26 miles), in the mornings there isn't nearly as much traffic going north and I used to do the trip in about 35 minutes. In non traffic times I can make it to Butler Township in about 50 min going up 68 which is 45 miles one way. From my home New Castle is 53 miles so in a non traffic time you're looking at 1 hour minimum, and I don't contend with the same infrastructure you would coming from downtown. From there, you're going to get to 279 by either getting onto the Veteran's Bridge or crossing the river another way like going through North Side or possibly crossing the river at the 31st or 40th Street Bridge and going down 28 (i.e. coming from the Strip or Lawrenceville). Assuming 279 is similar to 79 north in the mornings and evenings I'd estimate 1.15-1.25 hours minimum adding 15-25 min from start to getting on 279 from your downtown location. The good thing here is this commute would largely use the limited highway infrastructure we have so this is kinda quick in a way. If I don't leave by 06:20 getting to Shadyside is 50-60 min, but at the right hour I can do it in 35-40 min with all sorts of trickery (oh and its only 10 miles one way).

I'm not familial with Youngstown but I am familial with New Castle, Sharon, Butler, Zelie, and Cranberry. None of these northern locations will duplicate what I think your husband is looking for in terms of the "city feel". You might find renovated loft style buildings in some of those locations but you won't get the restaurants or activities except maybe in Cranberry, and it is very suburban and new. If you should chose one of the two closer locations to Pittsburgh, Cranberry or Zelienople (which is just north of CB) you will be able to get into town but I've known so many people who move up there and end up driving so much because "everything is in Pittsburgh" they tell me (which isn't entirely true as Cranberry has lots of shopping, restaurants, a movie theatre etc). I don't think Cranberry is what your husband envisions and won't allow for the old renovated building at all but I'd argue saving that half hour minimum each way to New Castle pays dividends over time. Otherwise the only suggestion I have would be to look into the city neighborhoods across the river such as North Side and Troy Hill. There you will find very classic houses and buildings and will put you closer to 279 while still allowing easy downtown access (although checking Zillow I'm only seeing homes for rent and not apartments or lofts). I might also look at something like the Clark Building in Downtown but I'm not sure how you would handle the parking situation.

https://pmcpropertygroup.com/properties/clark-building

Old 10-03-2019, 07:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 931,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
You should buy one of those Victorian houses in the historic district in downtown New Castle. You could probably buy one for much cheaper than rent downtown.

Yes to this. Your commute into the city and out will be hell. Here's a funky place that is super affordable. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18888143_zpid/

Old 10-03-2019, 07:23 AM

170 posts, read 43,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Yes to this. Your commute into the city and out will be hell. Here's a funky place that is super affordable. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18888143_zpid/
Nice find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh