Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,821 times

Advertisements

My husband worked for Westinghouse East Pittsburgh from the 79s til 2986. A lot of the workers would stoop at Caesars Bar in Turtle Creek. They had a Dark Beer there. They served it in a Frosted Mug and you would pour pepper on the top. The beer was very mild and refreshing on a hot day. Before long you had downed 2-3. Once you went to stand. It would kick your butt. Some ppl said it was a German Beer, the bottom of the barrel. Others said it was Iron City. It wasn't black beer. I have been trying to find this beer for years with no luck. Does anyone know what it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 AM

11 posts, read 21,746 times
there are many sites devoted to turtle creek, pa on facebook...some are closed...i grew up...i graduated, ect.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry bowden View Post
I am with the Turtle Creek Valley Historical Society and may be able to help you with your question. If you are refering to the building on Lynn Ave owned by Soles, yes at one time it was a speak easy. During probation, it was raided and their still was poured into the creek that flows behind the building. When the local wine'os heard about it they ran down stream and scooped it out with their mason jars...so the legend goes...would love to hear more storys about Turtle Creek...if I can help answer questions please email tc1bowden@yahoo.com
Hello,

I am looking for information on relatives named Shields who lived in Turtle Creek in the late 19th-early 20th century . I believe their background was German. My great-grandfather was named Louis Shields. His daughter--my grandmother--was Rosella. There also was a family name of Beggs.

Thank you for any information or advice.

C. Wells

Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,975,028 times
If they have or had a newspaper check the archives. There will be ads that should give you an indication of the type of businesses.

Old 10-16-2016, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,202 times
Default Third Generation 'Creeker'

I was born in 1948, a third generation 'Creeker' ... and still live in the house my grandparents built up on 'Boden Hill'. My uncle (George Frank) owned a car dealership at the corner of James St. and Monroeville Ave. (where 7-Eleven stands now). When I remember it ... it was Packard and Studebaker ... on what was called 'Electric Plan.'

Yes, Turtle Creek has gone through some tough changes over the years, but there are quite a few members of the old families still residing here. There is interest in revitalizing the area, but we need to see if the Mon-Fayette Expressway is truly splitting our town once again, like the Tri-Boro did in the past. If that can be stopped, then the chances are better that at least part of the town could be brought back.

There are a couple of books about Turtle Creek out there ... 'A Mother's Love' by Maryanne B. Lawrence and 'Where the Hell is Turtle Creek?' by Barrie C. Bartulski. They provide a lot of details from way back in Turtle Creek's history.

The only paper I can remember was called 'The Independent'. Don't know how far that went back.

Last edited by Lily Mack; 10-16-2016 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 10-16-2016, 05:50 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
https://m.facebook.com/TCHistorical/

Old 02-17-2022, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 702 times
Hello,
I have a partial copy of a book from 1904; it's very badly torn. The cover is missing, though it is concerning St Colman's school and church activities, societies, etc. including the mass schedule. In the back are listed "Roll of Honor" students from various grades, I suppose you know Father Patrick Shields was the pastor there for half a century. Anyway, this list of honor students includes Rozella Shields as having 100% attendance in the fall semester; and includes Catherine Shields and William Shields. From the "Roll of Honor" are listed these Shields students: Fourteenth Grade: Mary Shields, Tenth Grade: Catherine Shields. It was my understanding that Shields was an Irish last name. In German, it would have been "Schwerdt" (if I am not mistaken). I hope this helps. Emily

Old 02-27-2022, 04:06 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,950 times
Default Went to St. Colmans, TCHS. in Turtle Creek PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankF View Post
I grew up in TC. Mainly is was a busy little place in the 50s. Work was plentiful. Businesses included the Westinghouse Electric Plant and the Westinghous Airbrake Plant. Smaller businesses I remember were the White Tower, Anton's Restaurant (High School Hang Out), Palmieries Restuarant, Isalys, Fallers Furniture Store, Murphys 5 and Dime, Ceasars Bar, a hotel I can't remember the name, too many bars and churhes to remember (I went to St Colmans Roman Catholic Church, Turtle Creek Junior High School, Turtle Creek Senior High School, a bowling alley, a beer distributorship, a state store, Mary's Dairy on Locust (I believe), Katie's Market on Beech (I think), Kingston's Market, Krogers Grocery Store, a couple shoe shops, a Carltons men's clothing store, Beral Chevrolet Dealership, A Lincoln Mercury Dealership, and too many more to remember. It was a great place to grow up and I left in 1963 when I joined the Navy.

I confused in my memory White Tower With White Castle. White Tower was covered in White Tiles illuminated with very bright flood lights. I seem to remember these two copied each other but White Tower sold sliders which were 1/4 size burgers but mixed with tallow, hence sliders.

Turtle Creek went through a model Cities program (Nixon) and an up graded road system. Leveled it was. A senior citizens tower was built and the schools and churches, funeral homes left alone. Very sad town; no longer a market center, That and the malls, loss of Westinghouse killed businesses.

I don't remember Krogers, instead the AP (pronouced AMP PEE), Pinky's pool hall, the Valle Aires (5 o'clock world), the privately owned drug store across from Mellon Bank where my family got our St. Joseph's calendar; the combination drug store and soda fountain across the street from the AT&T substation, down the block from the high school, and ice house. As a child I took the street car from Turtle Creek all the way into Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Mistermobile; 02-27-2022 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-01-2022, 09:00 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
I confused in my memory White Tower With White Castle. White Tower was covered in White Tiles illuminated with very bright flood lights. I seem to remember these two copied each other but White Tower sold sliders which were 1/4 size burgers but mixed with tallow, hence sliders.

Turtle Creek went through a model Cities program (Nixon) and an up graded road system. Leveled it was. A senior citizens tower was built and the schools and churches, funeral homes left alone. Very sad town; no longer a market center, That and the malls, loss of Westinghouse killed businesses.

I don't remember Krogers, instead the AP (pronouced AMP PEE), Pinky's pool hall, the Valle Aires (5 o'clock world), the privately owned drug store across from Mellon Bank where my family got our St. Joseph's calendar; the combination drug store and soda fountain across the street from the AT&T substation, down the block from the high school, and ice house. As a child I took the street car from Turtle Creek all the way into Pittsburgh.
Nice memories. Simpler and much better times. Krogers had a decent presence around Pittsburgh back then. Haven;t been around here for decades though not sure what ticked them off. There's one right off the Elm Grove exit in Wheeling merely an hour away.

Old 03-01-2022, 06:49 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,950 times
Default Krogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Nice memories. Simpler and much better times. Krogers had a decent presence around Pittsburgh back then. Haven;t been around here for decades though not sure what ticked them off. There's one right off the Elm Grove exit in Wheeling merely an hour away.
Union issues drove them out of the PGH area. Great cake donuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh