Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2020, 06:56 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,108,936 times

Advertisements

Yeah Wexford/Cranberry have more new construction. Those newer planned developments will tend to have HOA but most established do not. I doubt anything you are looking for with larger lots/more rural is going to have HOA to deal with. We had an HOA 14 years ago when we lived in FL and while we had no issues it was a pain and didnt feel like I got anything back from our fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 06:44 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,692,796 times
Older housing stock in outskirts of Cranberry can be found with a country feel and some space. These are the places that were built before the "housing plan" concept arrived.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:24 PM

130 posts, read 121,236 times
I'd look at Economy Borough, specifically the eastern portion that borders Marshall Twp, Franklin Park, and Bell Acres. It's in Beaver County so the taxes aren't bad and a lot of the homes are on 1+ acre lots. Off peak you could be downtown in 30 mins or so, but not sure about the commute at rush hour.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:34 PM

150 posts, read 261,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Belt Kid View Post
I'd look at Economy Borough, specifically the eastern portion that borders Marshall Twp, Franklin Park, and Bell Acres. It's in Beaver County so the taxes aren't bad and a lot of the homes are on 1+ acre lots. Off peak you could be downtown in 30 mins or so, but not sure about the commute at rush hour.

Appreciate the suggestion. I was actually driving around the area (Economy) and it seems to be very private in a decent amount of the sections. I would love to pay lower taxes :-), but the one thing that surprised me... is Beaver County taxes (unless what i found below is incorrect/outdated) are similar to Allegheny County in terms of being one of the highest in the state. That was a surprise to me as I hear folks complain about taxes in the city, but not so much about Beaver County. Maybe because Beaver County tends to have cheaper homes vs. Allegheny (my assumption) so you don't hear so much how high Beaver County taxes actually are with being based off of value %.

https://www.gardenstateloans.com/pa-property-tax-rates/

Anyways... I thought that was interesting. Economy is defiantly an area I'm considering :-)

To the comment above about finding older homes in Cranberry... i agree there does seem to be a few older ones that come up every so often. It seems (just a guess) 80ish % of the homes in Cranberry are in developments. It would be nice if Cranberry was closer, but the drive seems to get you to the city fairly quickly (even though the distance is longer). I'm not a fan of how busy the main roads and essentially everything in Cranberry is... but I know most folks would prefer the development, events, etc. So I'm not saying anything against it (as it is a really nice area)... just too busy for me

Last edited by sixburgh90; 01-09-2020 at 11:45 PM..

Old 01-09-2020, 11:50 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Beaver County taxes are less than Allegheny, however, if you want the lowest taxes you’re going to have to venture to Butler County.

I’m now a snowbird but I live in Cranberry, and other than during rush hour times I don’t see an issue, however, the population is predicted to take a huge increase by 2030.

There are plans to alleviate the congestion on the 228 side. https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...ip/1012371837/

There’s also Zelienople, Harmony, Evans City, and Jackson Twp, that aren’t far from Cranberry. The further north you go the more options you’ll have to fit what you’re looking for, however, the distance could be an issue for you.

Last edited by erieguy; 01-10-2020 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-10-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixburgh90 View Post

Anyways... I thought that was interesting. Economy is defiantly an area I'm considering :-)

To the comment above about finding older homes in Cranberry... i agree there does seem to be a few older ones that come up every so often. It seems (just a guess) 80ish % of the homes in Cranberry are in developments. It would be nice if Cranberry was closer, but the drive seems to get you to the city fairly quickly (even though the distance is longer). I'm not a fan of how busy the main roads and essentially everything in Cranberry is... but I know most folks would prefer the development, events, etc. So I'm not saying anything against it (as it is a really nice area)... just too busy for me

I like the Economy area, it would push your 40 minutes from the city during rush hours but likely get you most of what you want. I'm with you on the too busy aspect of Cranberry, I like the area and most shopping I do is up there but it is too new for me. It just reminds me of NJ and FL where everything is built in the last 30 years which means things are packed closer with little character. Some like that but just not for me to live in. Economy is nice too that you can be in Cranberry pretty quick for all it offers but not live in it. We actually drove out to Rochester to check out a donut shop the other week then cut through near Economy to do shopping in Cranberry.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Beaver County taxes are less than Allegheny, however, if you want the lowest taxes you’re going to have to venture to Butler County.

I’m now a snowbird but I live in Cranberry, and other than during rush hour times I don’t see an issue, however, the population is predicted to take a huge increase by 2030.

There are plans to alleviate the congestion on the 228 side. https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...ip/1012371837/

There’s also Zelienople, Harmony, Evans City, and Jackson Twp, that aren’t far from Cranberry. The further north you go the more options you’ll have to fit what you’re looking for, however, the distance could be an issue for you.

I like Zeli and Harmony areas, a little far from the city to make it work for me but we go up there often. Went up to the Harmony Inn last week for dinner.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:15 AM

12,241 posts, read 6,402,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixburgh90 View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I looked up West Deer and they do have homes in terms of what im looking for. It would be nice if it was more to the NW of the city vs NE, but that is an option :-)

In terms of the response above of non hoa. It seems a lot of homes in wexford, cranberry, etc. are within communities that have hoa, rules, etc. That is was meant by non hoa
Frazer Twp. and Fawn Twp. are both closer to rt.28 than West Deer but all 3 of those places are good. Would I want to drive an extra 20 minutes each way to a job in the city to save on taxes? No. Taxes, gasoline and so many other things aren`t worth the time wasted on a long commute IMO. Time is the only thing in this world that you can`t get back.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Frazer Twp. and Fawn Twp. are both closer to rt.28 than West Deer but all 3 of those places are good. Would I want to drive an extra 20 minutes each way to a job in the city to save on taxes? No. Taxes, gasoline and so many other things aren`t worth the time wasted on a long commute IMO. Time is the only thing in this world that you can`t get back.

Yeah, I understand not wanting to pay more tax but just be sure to break it down. My taxes are maybe 4000, maybe I move and can get those cut in half. That basically works out to about $160/month savings. With the hassle of moving (assuming I found something) it is definitely not worth it to me, buying new it likely wouldnt be a large factor to me personally. Saving $160 would only matter if all other factors were about the same, like this house is red vs blue. For how much time we spend in our homes and the investment it is I am not going to worry about the extra taxes.

If you think about even just 20 extra minutes to your drive each way working 5 days a week that's over 13 hours a month of extra driving. Assume you only make $20hr, that's $260 of your time value to save $160

Old 01-10-2020, 12:20 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
If you think about even just 20 extra minutes to your drive each way working 5 days a week that's over 13 hours a month of extra driving. Assume you only make $20hr, that's $260 of your time value to save $160
Wow. The people of Cranberry Township must be really bad at math, then, if they move further from the city to save on property taxes only to have the tax savings more than devoured by the time value of money due to the longer drive back to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh