Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 11:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

One nice thing about getting out of St. Louis would be the amount of crime over there compared to Pittsburgh. Wonder why St. Louis is so bad compared to Pittsburgh in that aspect? Kind of odd.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...louis-68018645
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 11:25 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I, too, am saddened and concerned for black Pittsburgh; however, there's not much I can do about it so I don't dwell on it daily. I'm a working-class white male who isn't in any sort of powerful or influential position to enact change or policy or to hire someone or anything. It is what it is. The city's population of blacks is in freefall. We've lost 7,000+ African-Americans in recent years and will continue to lose more.

True.
Do not cry for me Argentina...... Pittsburgh's loss is Penn Hill's gain. To a lesser extent you can include Plum, Forest Hills, and Monroeville. The last census pretty much told the story. The Eastern Suburbs black population grew and the black population of Allegheny county grew slightly.

Penn Hills is approaching 50% black and is the largest municipality outside of Pittsburgh. The population drop in Pittsburgh is not felt in the cities east end. The missing black folk are just across the city boarder in Penn Hills. Penn Hills is a mecca for black businesses as well. My employer ran out of office space at our Homewood campus. We recently moved our department to Penn Hills in a corporate center near the Penn Hills shopping center. The building is an incubator for black businesses mainly focused on wellness and social services. The influx of office workers allowed for a black owned cafe/coffee shop to open and flourish. Penn Hills has everything a black family would need. Dance schools, sports, dining, and entertainment. I never realized that Penn Hills is a fully contained well rounded suburb. There is no reason to leave unless you need a mall. I really enjoy the old school markets and food establishments.

Page 4 details the black experience in detail.

https://ucsur.pitt.edu/files/peq/peq_2014-09.pdf

This is an article detailing black trends in 2000 .

Allegheny County's black population up 9,508

Old 01-31-2020, 11:29 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Do not cry for me Argentina...... Pittsburgh's loss is Penn Hill's gain. To a lesser extent you can include Plum, Forest Hills, and Monroeville. The last census pretty much told the story. The Eastern Suburbs black population grew and the black population of Allegheny county grew slightly.

Penn Hills is approaching 50% black and is the largest municipality outside of Pittsburgh. The population drop in Pittsburgh is not felt in the cities east end. The missing black folk are just across the city boarder in Penn Hills. Penn Hills is a mecca for black businesses as well. My employer ran out of office space at our Homewood campus. We recently moved our department to Penn Hills in a corporate center near the Penn Hills shopping center. The building is an incubator for black businesses mainly focused on wellness and social services. The influx of office workers allowed for a black owned cafe/coffee shop to open and flourish. Penn Hills has everything a black family would need. Dance schools, sports, dining, and entertainment. I never realized that Penn Hills is a fully contained well rounded suburb. There is no reason to leave unless you need a mall. I really enjoy the old school markets and food establishments.

Page 4 details the black experience in detail.

https://ucsur.pitt.edu/files/peq/peq_2014-09.pdf

This is an article detailing black trends in 2000 .

Allegheny County's black population up 9,508
Black population was just beginning to find Penn Hills when I moved away in the mid 1970s. And there was a "mall" there at the point, East Hills Shopping Center. It had it all. I bought my first 45 record from a Sears there... Maybe it will all come back. Had a great childhood there..

Old 01-31-2020, 12:54 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Black population was just beginning to find Penn Hills when I moved away in the mid 1970s. And there was a "mall" there at the point, East Hills Shopping Center. It had it all. I bought my first 45 record from a Sears there... Maybe it will all come back. Had a great childhood there..
The old Zare's department store is now a church. Petra International Ministries housed in there.

The former shopping center is now home to a Pull and Pay car yard. The area is still in decline but will most likely.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:40 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,625,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMyCity View Post
Hi everyone -
I am currently considering a couple of jobs, including a very attractive one in Pittsburgh. I have never visited the city (will visit for a few days next month to interview) but I was hoping to get a sense regarding living in the city beyond what I can possibly evaluate in a couple of days of visiting.

A bit of background - I'm a guy, in my early 30s and I've lived in St Louis for the past few years. St Louis slowly grew on me (Before that, I lived overseas in much larger/more cosmopolitan cities) and I slowly grew to like the slow pace of a mid-size city. I am ready to move on though!

I am interested in learning about:
- Neighborhoods: I understand that Pittsburgh is a neighborhood-based city. What are some distinctive neighborhoods to visit? Are there neighborhoods that seem to attract young professionals to live in? What's downtown like? In that regard, are amenities spread out throughout the metro or more centralized?
- Housing: Affordability, diversity,...
- Nightlife - Live music? LGBT venues? Late night clubbing?
- Restaurant scene?
- Walkability? Biking? Traffic?
- How diverse is the city? Welcoming of transplants?
- General things people like/don't like about PGH.

Thank you so much!!!!
I moved here from DC back in October for an attractive opportunity so I know what you're going through. I'm in my early 40's so not too far off from your age but I've never lived in STL. I've lived in DC (8 years) and Atlanta (1 year) so my comparisons and yours may not be the best. Here is my limited feedback:

Neighborhoods: I moved to a new building on the South Shore near Station Square. There are a handful of restaurants I can walk to and I can cross the Smithfield Street Bridge by foot and be in downtown Pgh within 5-10 minutes. A lot of people directed me to the Strip District and Lawrenceville. Neither location appealed to me and there weren't any available apartments for when I was looking to move either. I truly don't get the deal why these areas are so popular other than they have a bunch of restaurants. Personally, I'd rather drive to these locations to eat and drink rather than also live in them. Oakland is very young and South Side is filled with bars. South Side definitely seems low class as a place to live. I opted for a new building with a water view and close to downtown.

Housing: I rent a 1 bedroom for $2,000/month. Its expensive for Pgh I believe but its also new construction with water views in, what I consider, a safe and nice neighborhood. I can't comment on housing prices if you're looking to buy but I keep hearing Squirrel Hill, Lawrenceville, and the Strip are good places to buy.

Nightlife: I'm guessing South Side is the best place based on feedback from people in the area if you're looking just for bars. Downtown has some nicer venues. Lawrenceville has a lot of places as well but feels more like the burbs.

Restaurants: I'm impressed with the restaurants in Pgh. Lots of variety and great places. I enjoy Kiku for sushi but it's extremely expensive. Butcher and the Rye and Tako are also cool. There are truly great spots in this city.

Getting around: It's a pretty walkable city for the most part.

Diversity: I see quite a bit of diversity downtown even though I hear it's a very white city. I really don't see that when I'm down by Market Square.

Overall, Pgh is ok. Pittsburgh Young Professionals would be good for you to join to meet people as their events are usually large. I don't see myself here past my lease end date in October. I'll either move closer to work in Beaver or move out of the state, which is what I'm leaning towards. Pgh really isn't for me but it's only been 4 months. It may grow on me should I spend more time out and about in the city.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:19 AM

159 posts, read 171,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post

Nightlife: I'm guessing South Side is the best place based on feedback from people in the area if you're looking just for bars. Downtown has some nicer venues. Lawrenceville has a lot of places as well but feels more like the burbs.
Lawrenceville feels like the suburbs?

Old 02-07-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawMan View Post
Lawrenceville feels like the suburbs?
To me, yes. Unless I'm going to the wrong areas. Butler Street does not have an urban feel to it in my opinion. This isn't a knock. It just feels like a burb in a city. Think Capitol Hill in DC for instance.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:50 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
To me, yes. Unless I'm going to the wrong areas. Butler Street does not have an urban feel to it in my opinion. This isn't a knock. It just feels like a burb in a city. Think Capitol Hill in DC for instance.
I lived in Capitol Hill, and I lived in Lawrenceville, and I don't see it.

Lawrenceville feels like a neighborhood. It's not part of Downtown, or even close to Downtown. It's its own thing with its own business district. Which I guess is a bit different from DC where you have the sprawly downtown area smoothly transition into more residential areas like Dupont Circle.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I lived in Capitol Hill, and I lived in Lawrenceville, and I don't see it.

Lawrenceville feels like a neighborhood. It's not part of Downtown, or even close to Downtown. It's its own thing with its own business district. Which I guess is a bit different from DC where you have the sprawly downtown area smoothly transition into more residential areas like Dupont Circle.
City feel to me is in a bustling area of a city with large buildings. Think Penn Quarter or Dupont Circle DC.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:12 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
City feel to me is in a bustling area of a city with large buildings. Think Penn Quarter or Dupont Circle DC.
Pittsburgh just doesn't really exceed three stories outside of Downtown/Oakland. It's a "rowhouse city" - we packed people in tight back in the 19th century, but never built high, because apartment living just wasn't a big thing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh