Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 10:21 AM

33 posts, read 328,287 times

Advertisements

Hey guys.. so I am going to look at a townhouse/duplex in Verona on Friday- specifically on School st. It will be three of us in our twenties living there, but on the weekends a four year old and a two year old. (we don't have to worry about schools) I havnt seen much being said about Verona and had a few questions.

How is the commute to Oakland? Someone will be in grad school there. Is there a bus that runs from Verona to Oakland atleast one hour or less. Also, hows the commute to Monroeville and Aspinwall?

How's the crime in that area? I know it borders Penn Hills and everyones always battling about Penn Hills. I guess crime and safety is my biggest concern. I've lived in Oakland, Ross, McCandless, and spent a lot of time in McKees Rocks/Stowe (used to work there...) and would rather not be in an area like Mckees Rocks. Plus, with the little girls there, I want it to be safe.

What's the neighborhood atmosphere? Friendly, quiet, etc?

Any parks, playgrounds nearby? Anywhere worth walking to nearby?

Hows the access to restraunts, grocery stores, etc?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 05:28 PM

21 posts, read 54,482 times
Default For what it's worth

I don't know Verona well, but the commute to Aspinwall should be OK by car basically you cross Highland Park Bridge.

Apart from the excellent Dirty Harrys bike shop, Verona hasn't got a lot to recommend it, but it is close to Oakmont which has nice shops, restaurants and the like. Crime rate is the US average - better than the city as a whole, worse than the outer suburbs. I suppose it depends on whether it's one of the nicer bits of Verona.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:53 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,370,444 times
Oakland is 20 - 25 minutes during non-rush hours. Allegheny River Blvd. is only a 2 lane road to Washington Blvd. which turns into 5th Avenue. You can look up the bus schedules. To go to Monroeville there's a few ways to go, 20 minutes or less.

Avoid Blondie's Bar on the main street and the Veronian's Club below the tracks. Verona hilltop is Penn Hills starting around 6th street. It's a nice neighborhood that's actually detached from the main Penn Hills. Verona has a small shopping center with a Giant Eagle, McDonalds, Chinese place, state store, laundramat. Verona has something that resembles a park near the river and a ball park at 2nd Street. There's a nice park in Oakmont beside the river. It has a playground for kids, picnic tables and grills. At the very top of the hill, Pennsylvania Avenue, is Dark Hollow which has walking paths marked off. There's a couple creeks with the usual frogs, crabs, ducks, and turtles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh