U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 08:49 PM

2 posts, read 922 times

Advertisements

My wife and our kids (younger than 6) are looking to move to either Ben Avon or Ross Township from near Oakland within the next several months and wanted some input on some open questions. We are going to buy a house.

BEN AVON (INCLUDING HEIGHTS)
- Are there a lot of young families in the neighborhood? Are they concentrated in one area of the neighborhood?
- Are there many public green spaces in the neighborhood? Based on Google Maps all we saw were the park up in Ben Avon Heights & the park on Camp Horne Rd.
- Any feedback/opinion on the quality of the schools in Avonworth School District?
- General thoughts on the neighborhood? Things we should be should be aware of?
- Any feedback on Emsworth? Are there young families in the neighborhood?

ROSS TOWNSHIP
- I know the township is huge. Are there certain area you know of that have a lot of young families in the neighborhood? Are certain elementary schools better than others?
- Any feedback/opinion on the quality of the schools in North Hills School District? Trending positive or negative?
- If possible we do like sidewalks and decent yard -- is there a place where you'd recommend to find these in Ross other than North Hills Estates?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 10:06 PM

1,700 posts, read 849,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocyyoung View Post
My wife and our kids (younger than 6) are looking to move to either Ben Avon or Ross Township from near Oakland within the next several months and wanted some input on some open questions. We are going to buy a house.

Welcome, my wife and I moved to Ben Avon area about 13 years ago and both our kids went to Avonworth. Though I am a little bias I think it is a great area where prices are still pretty reasonable considering the school ratings and area. Disclosure, my wife and I are agents so some things we cant go into much.

BEN AVON (INCLUDING HEIGHTS)
- Are there a lot of young families in the neighborhood? Are they concentrated in one area of the neighborhood? I feel the area is a mix of many and spread out. When we moved here 13 years ago it seemed more of long term residents but over the years we have seen many new families come in. There are some newer neighborhood built, I think in general those tend to have more families but demographics can change. Younger families have been growing, my kids graduated a few years ago with about 90 students per grade but the younger grades had many more like 120+ from the growth.

- Are there many public green spaces in the neighborhood? Based on Google Maps all we saw were the park up in Ben Avon Heights & the park on Camp Horne Rd. I guess depends on what you mean my green space, specifically parks? There is Emsworth park, the one you mention up in the heights, Avon park down a little from the Heights Park, then Avonworth Park on Camp Horne. There are also lots of green areas though not parks like Vinegar Hollow where you can walk in the woods or we just walk the neighborhood w/ the dog which is pretty green in summer. North Park isnt super far either, we go there pretty regular.
- Any feedback/opinion on the quality of the schools in Avonworth School District? We cant give an opinion on the schools but they are highly rated, smaller school than North Hills (Ross). In general smaller schools might not have as many activities as somewhere like an NA so if there is something specific that is important you should check.
- General thoughts on the neighborhood? Things we should be should be aware of? We enjoy the area, it is walkable but there is a very limited business area mostly some professional offices with just a coffee shop or down a little in emsworth a diner. Pretty easy to goto Giant Eagle or Home Depot and Target/Sams a little further but limited on dining. We often goto McKnight/Wexford or Cranberry.
- Any feedback on Emsworth? Are there young families in the neighborhood? Emsworth is generally a little cheaper as the homes are sometimes more basic but they also have some great homes. Honestly living here Emsworth and Ben Avon kinda flow into each other and are not super distinct areas to me. We technically live in Kilbuck because a few streets are zoned there.

ROSS TOWNSHIP
- I know the township is huge. Are there certain area you know of that have a lot of young families in the neighborhood? Yes it is a larger area with West View smack in the middle. Best thing is to check out an area as school lets out and see how many kids are around.
- Any feedback/opinion on the quality of the schools in North Hills School District? Trending positive or negative? Again, no opinion but NH also ranks well and is a larger school district.
- If possible we do like sidewalks and decent yard -- is there a place where you'd recommend to find these in Ross other than North Hills Estates? Sidewalks are hit or miss, many older areas do not have. Even in Ben Avon as you get off the main area some do not have them like ours. Decent Yards can be found in various areas, what is decent? You might also consider a little north in McCandless too unless you specifically want North Hills/Avonworth schools.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:03 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,426,957 times
You are gonna love that area. Just find your dream home, which luckily is affordable still (I think) in the area. then buy it. if you're a big shopper you might prefer Ross. Otherwise it just depends on the house

Old 02-16-2020, 08:07 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,251,480 times
We're looking in those exact areas as well when we move back in a few months, so would love to hear more input. Born and raised in Pittsburgh but always lived in the East End and east of the city. Also looking for walkable in terms of sidewalks and a decent sized yard (place to have a moderate garden and place for the dog to trot around). Does anyone have an opinion on one versus the other for someone who will very possibly work in Oakland and also likes to go to the East End for dining/entertainment? Looks like Ben Avon is an easy shot down 65 and you're pretty much in the city and have access to 28, 279, etc. Same with Ross and 279, but it looks like 279 can be a little farther to get to depending on where in Ross you live.

Also a random question. Does Uber and Lyft often venture into these areas, or would one need to be totally car dependent if they want to go into town?

Old 02-16-2020, 08:49 AM

For the Uber/Lyft question, I uber for rides to the airport semi often and my son and his friend uber over to southside when they go. There has always been someone around (a few when I look at the map) and I know a few people in the area that uber. Lyft I'd assume the same but I've just used uber. I think the longest I've waited was about 20 min and that was an early morning flight.

Going to East End isn't too bad, we were over the east end coop last weekend after showing a home and it was about 20 min. I'd think on average it would be 20-30 min but assuming not near rush hour. I had a client meeting early in Bloomfield during the week that made me drive during morning rush and it was about 30 min. Yes you can get to the city and Oakland via 279 or 65(also a few back street options). I would say 30 min at rush hour but it could be much longer if there are any issues. Ross not quite as straight shot but you could take Mcknight to 279 or Babcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
We're looking in those exact areas as well when we move back in a few months, so would love to hear more input. Born and raised in Pittsburgh but always lived in the East End and east of the city. Also looking for walkable in terms of sidewalks and a decent sized yard (place to have a moderate garden and place for the dog to trot around). Does anyone have an opinion on one versus the other for someone who will very possibly work in Oakland and also likes to go to the East End for dining/entertainment? Looks like Ben Avon is an easy shot down 65 and you're pretty much in the city and have access to 28, 279, etc. Same with Ross and 279, but it looks like 279 can be a little farther to get to depending on where in Ross you live.

Also a random question. Does Uber and Lyft often venture into these areas, or would one need to be totally car dependent if they want to go into town?

Old 02-16-2020, 01:19 PM

1,439 posts, read 1,292,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post

I lived in Ben Avon heights for a lot of my late childhood through early 20's. My parents lived there up until a few years ago so I would still go back and spend time in the area quite a bit. I used to drive into the Northside and Oakland a lot while living there and always found it to be such an easy commute. If for some reason I wanted to move back out of the city, Ben Avon or the heights would probably be on my short list. The heights is tough for inventory since its a small neighborhood and a lot of the homes will either need extensive updating or be priced pretty high if they have already undergone renovations. Ben Avon prices have really ticked up in recent history. There have been multiple 500k+ sales and currently 1 home on the market over 1.1M. Thats a first that I'm aware for the area.

overall I think it would come down to if you have kids and what you are looking for in terms of a school district. Both are ranked well, but NH is larger than Avonworth. Some find the mid sized schools like NH to be a better fit for their kids and some like the smaller sized feel of Avonworth.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:15 PM

Yeah there actually 5 Realtors on our little corner 2 streets in Ben Avon, we have all been watching that 1.2M home. Has not been anything close really so it will be interesting to see where that goes. In terms of home/lot I dont see it but the interior is very high end so if the right person comes along. Not my taste for sure but we've walked by the home many times and it is pretty large.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I lived in Ben Avon heights for a lot of my late childhood through early 20's. My parents lived there up until a few years ago so I would still go back and spend time in the area quite a bit. I used to drive into the Northside and Oakland a lot while living there and always found it to be such an easy commute. If for some reason I wanted to move back out of the city, Ben Avon or the heights would probably be on my short list. The heights is tough for inventory since its a small neighborhood and a lot of the homes will either need extensive updating or be priced pretty high if they have already undergone renovations. Ben Avon prices have really ticked up in recent history. There have been multiple 500k+ sales and currently 1 home on the market over 1.1M. Thats a first that I'm aware for the area.

overall I think it would come down to if you have kids and what you are looking for in terms of a school district. Both are ranked well, but NH is larger than Avonworth. Some find the mid sized schools like NH to be a better fit for their kids and some like the smaller sized feel of Avonworth.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:12 PM

1,439 posts, read 1,292,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yeah there actually 5 Realtors on our little corner 2 streets in Ben Avon, we have all been watching that 1.2M home. Has not been anything close really so it will be interesting to see where that goes. In terms of home/lot I dont see it but the interior is very high end so if the right person comes along. Not my taste for sure but we've walked by the home many times and it is pretty large.
When I saw it pop up I initially thought someone was out of their mind. We shall see though. This home in the heights went on the marker for 1.1M a few years ago and ended up selling for 800k. I have been though this one multiple times and can't believe the one in Ben Avon should sell higher, even if it is a few years later.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...1405515_zpid/?

Old 02-16-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
When I saw it pop up I initially thought someone was out of their mind. We shall see though. This home in the heights went on the marker for 1.1M a few years ago and ended up selling for 800k. I have been though this one multiple times and can't believe the one in Ben Avon should sell higher, even if it is a few years later.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...1405515_zpid/?

Yeah the heights is a little more secluded too. I feel some there can demand those prices, I cant see anything down Ben Avon in that range. It would be almost double the price of anything that has sold in that part and the next highest on the market now is my friends listing on Church at about $600k. This 1.2M has a better lot and better updates but those updates might not be to everyone's taste and not sure it's $600k better. Again, never know. We had the home around the corner from us, very basic, sell for $245k about 1.5 years ago. We thought it was high but got it, not talking crazy high though.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:31 AM

684 posts, read 368,386 times
Look into the air quality before choosing Ben Avon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh