U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 01:31 PM

821 posts, read 980,805 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the great responses! I examined the area and it it worth looking into! The air *seemed* fresher there near Mccandless but it could just be me.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 01:33 PM

821 posts, read 980,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I notice the Clairton Coke Works smell only 1-2x a month and in the morning usually. For the most part, Pittsburgh air is hugely improved over 20, 10 and even 5 years ago. I wouldn't be too concerned.

As for Wheeling, I love the town a lot. But there may be another cracker plant popping up near there. Hope it doesn't happen https://wvpress.org/wvpa-sharing/ohi...ndsville-w-va/
Sorry, where are you that you get the Clairton Coke Smell?

Old 02-21-2020, 01:38 PM

2,109 posts, read 1,996,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
Thank you for the great responses! I examined the area and it it worth looking into! The air *seemed* fresher there near Mccandless but it could just be me.
There is generally less heavy industry and more agriculture as you move north. South of Pittsburgh has a blend of agriculture, mining, and industry. What you notice passes the general sniff test (pun intended). Additionally, the topography north of the city tends to be rolling hills and flatter in general, as opposed to somewhat steeper terrain to the south, which I imagine causes pollutants to dissipate more evenly.

And for those who say "Air is clean in the south hills" please note I am painting with a broad brush here. Air quality issues can certainly be hyper localized.

Old 02-21-2020, 01:46 PM

1,700 posts, read 848,991 times
Same with being near the river closer to the city, there is more industry along the river and that (along with traffic) is what can get trapped from rising depending on the weather.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 PM

3,828 posts, read 1,347,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
As for Wheeling, I love the town a lot. But there may be another cracker plant popping up near there. Hope it doesn't happen https://wvpress.org/wvpa-sharing/ohi...ndsville-w-va/
I do too there is a lot of residential going in their downtown. The old high rise office buildings are being converted. I’m positive on Wheeling’s future.

I’m pretty sure the cracker plant is going to happen. In 20 years the Ohio valley will have 2 or 3 crackers up and running. Those that want to stay in Pittsburgh may end up looking there for a job.

Anything is possible.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:14 PM

37,449 posts, read 14,512,794 times
Quote:
With Pittsburgh having some of the worst air quality in the country, you’re certainly better off in the North Hills or further away.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:18 PM

6,094 posts, read 4,426,597 times
i might be crazy, but being a lover the city, i might add that Chartiers City and Windgap neighborhoods might have 'fresher' air than normal. i spent a great deal of time there a few years ago looking for a house (still in a condo!).

I would swear the air seems better, once you go down into the hollow via Middletown Road. that corner of the city is rather sparse by comparison, suburban in nature. lots of green spaces, too.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:59 PM

3,278 posts, read 3,577,628 times
This is an old list but many companies are still in operation. Monroeville-Murrysville would be in the clear.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/he...s/201012170177

Old 02-24-2020, 09:16 AM

8,376 posts, read 29,545,759 times
On occasion Wexford got very stinky when we lived there. On those nice evenings we wanted to leave the windows open, a rush of burned oil + hot metal fumes would come into the house and bathe everything in it. Left the house smelling for days afterward, so we quickly learned to keep the windows shut. After spending an hour outside my clothes had a similar smell no matter what time of year. When we swept up the basement floor there was fine black soot mixed in with the dirt. Took about 6 months for my throat & sinuses to get used to it.

I don't know exactly where it came from but it was worse in the evenings and at night. I'm guessing it came from the river, as there are still copper & alloy mills + other industry operating in Leetsdale & Ambridge. (which is close to Sewickley BTW.) Wexford is downwind from that most of the year. My theory was the fumes floated up and got blown into our area. But go look at the Ross Park Mall and it looks like the white buildings are soot stained.

I used to submit the report to the SmellPGH app whenever I could. But that app had no teeth, and I don't know if anyone cared or were even aware of how bad it smelled there. There is still a lot of industry dotted around the region and even a "Toxic Ten". Everyone likes to blame the 800 lb gorilla in the room but many times it's the little guys on the river or buried in the woods who are flying under the radar.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:55 PM

270 posts, read 320,934 times
Quote:
Even some really “nice” and expensive areas in the South Hills smell pretty bad in the morning. !
I live in one of those "nice and expensive" areas of the South Hills (for 8 years) and have never smelled or seen any air pollution, nor heard that the South Hills (as opposed to other parts of the area) has worse pollution. In fact the air where I live (and for that matter most parts of Pittsburgh I have spent time in) have *much* better air quality than Los Angeles, where I lived for 13 years.

For reference, the "South Hills" is generally defined as the area bounded by 376 on the north, I79 on the west, the Allegheny county border on the south (just south of Upper St Clair) and Rt. 51 on the east. Some people might consider far-flung southeastern towns like Jefferson Hills or Mt Pleasant to be part of the South Hills but I don't think most Pittsburghers do. Generally when someone says "South Hills" they are talking about Mt Lebanon, Behel Park, Dormont, Upper St Clair, etc.- i.e. one of the suburbs more or less directly south of Pittsburgh.

The Clairton Coke Works is the stereotype example most people in the area think of as a "big polluter"- that's pretty far southeast and doesn't seem to affect most of the South Hills.

So, I would not run for the north side of town just to get cleaner air. It's more about what you locate yourself directly in the vicinity of, or as one poster pointed out, "hyperlocal" concerns.

Last edited by Garvdog; 02-24-2020 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh