U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2007, 08:18 PM

36,622 posts, read 57,952,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinenjim View Post
I'm laughing my butt off right now at you trying to explain to a Californian that we actually have ANYTHING that resembles a freeway in this region, or this state for that matter. HA!....ha ha ha!
The Parkway East is a freeway. The Parkway West is a freeway. The Parkway North is a freeway. I-79 is a freeway. I-80 is a freeway. I-81 is a freeway. I-99 is a freeway. Most of I-83 is a freeway. Portions of I-70 are freeway. "HA!....ha ha ha."

Do you have anything positive or constructive to say about anything, ever?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Drover, do one of those roads connect Jeanette to Pittsburgh? Come on use you head.
Since you apparently lack the rudimentary degree of self-awareness required to keep track of your own utterances, let me quote yourself for you:

Quote:
I'm laughing my butt off right now at you trying to explain to a Californian that we actually have ANYTHING that resembles a freeway in this region, or this state for that matter.
There are several freeways in the region and in the state, and since you have not found sufficient time in the last 30 years to familiarize yourself with your own surroundings, I thought I might do you the favor of enumerating them for you.

(You're welcome.)

If you hate the region so much, get freakin' out already. Stop making excuses for why you're still there. You sit here and badmouth the area to anyone within earshot whether they're interested in your twaddle or not, whether it's relative to the question they asked or not, and then wonder why nobody who might have the ingenuity and wherewithal to improve your city moves in and does so. As someone who tried to do so, and as someone who continues to watch the culture of your region in the hopes that it will change and I might have a reason to move back, let me tell you why it hasn't happened yet: the resounding negativity of people exactly like yourself. It overwhelms and exasperates those who are trying their damndest to make your region a better place. You have no idea how fortunate you are to live in a metro area where there is extensive civic pride and involvement, because that's about the only thing that has kept it from becoming another Gary Indiana. But every day, those who fight to make life better for you and your neighbors have to do constant battle with people like you who possess infinite energy to p1ss & moan but zero energy to do anything about it. The truly delicious part is that you inhabit and embody so much that you resent about the regional mindset. You've helped make the bed you're lying in and whining about. And yet you carry on your campaign to drag your own city down without the slightest hint of irony.

I'm done with you; you're not worth the energy required to actuate the pixels that form your words on my screen. So welcome to my ignore list. Have a nice life, if you can ever figure out how.

Last edited by Drover; 01-06-2007 at 02:29 AM..

Old 01-06-2007, 02:33 PM

29 posts, read 138,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damfinejoe View Post
I am moving from San Francisco to Greensburg, PA (30 miles southeast of Pittsburgh) and will be working near the U or Pitt in Oakland. Can anyone tell me what the commute will be like in terms of time and traffic. I would be starting work at 8am and finishing around 5 or 6pm. How is traffic in general? Thanks
Above was my original post and there is nothing in the post asking for opinions about Pittsburgh. I am not looking for negative, ignorant rants about Pittsburgh - for those of us that like the city please live and let live. What I am looking for is intelligent, positive, appropriate feedback about the commute from Greensburg to Pittsburgh. No negativity please!

Old 01-06-2007, 04:23 PM

485 posts, read 921,981 times
I agree. I'm not from Pittsburgh. I read the posts in this forum because I'd like to learn more about it. To those with unfavorable things to say about Pittsburgh, I'd like to hear them; however, those messages would be better received if they were delivered with more civility and less acrimony.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:36 PM

3,280 posts, read 1,474,860 times
Quote:
Can you expand on those alternate routes to Oakland that avoid the tunnel? I will be living just off Route 30 (Pleasant Unity Exit) which is just west of the Westmoreland Mall. It will take me 20 min. to get to Irwin.
You can go through Wilkensburg, go around the tunnel via Penn Ave. and then cut through Schenley Park directly into Oakland. I don't know if it woud be any faster, but it is an alternative to just sitting still on the Parkway East.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:38 PM

13 posts, read 37,354 times
Quote:
Great advice! Let me also mention that anyone planning to take this route better invest in a bullet proof vest, full body armor, bullet proof glass for their car, and run-flat tires as well! Happy traveling!
your comments are always very exaggerated... why not be a little more realistic!

yes wilkensburg is a shady area and i would not want to live there, but its not a bad drive during the daylight....

Old 01-07-2007, 08:40 PM

29 posts, read 138,618 times
Quote:
Great advice! Let me also mention that anyone planning to take this route better invest in a bullet proof vest, full body armor, bullet proof glass for their car, and run-flat tires as well! Happy traveling!
I joined this site a couple of weeks ago when I knew I would be moving to Pittsburgh. I joined because I wanted to ask a few questions and maybe get some info about the city I was born and raised, left for 25 years, and am now returning. Unfortunately, I am finding it increasingly more difficult to read all the pessimism, negativity, rudeness, insults, ignorance and ugliness that is being posted - this is one of the most unmoderated forums I have ever been on. Fortunately, most of these people live in other cities/states and all I can say for that is thank goodness. If people are joining these forums to try to get a feel for an area, they deserve to hear the good as well as the bad. Everyone here, save for a few, is intent on painting Pittsburgh as a living Hell and disuading anyone from moving here. If what you people are saying is true in your posts about Pittsburhg losing population and no educated people are moving here - well is it any surprise with the rude, ignorant, biased, and subjective writings that are posted? You are all stating opinions and how are intelligent, educated people going to react to biased, whacked out negativity? How is Pittsburgh suppossed to be percieved as Progressive with these kind of neanderthal postings? Honestly, if I knew nothing about Pittsburgh, I would be frustrated reading these uninformational postings biased by negativity intent on showing one side of the story. Instead of focusing on the flaws and problems, how about being part of a solution and focusing on the positive instead of just complaining. Do you raise your child to focus on the negative,to be complacent and to always show them the ugly side of things? Then don't do it here, please. Sorry for rambling, but all negative and no positive makes Jack a frustrated boy. Thanks to those of you (Marcfromgreensburg, Mr.Mon, bboy36win) for the information and the best of luck to you all on this whacked forum. Stay positive...

Old 01-07-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I joined this site a couple of weeks ago when I knew I would be moving to Pittsburgh. I joined because I wanted to ask a few questions and maybe get some info about the city I was born and raised, left for 25 years, and am now returning. Unfortunately, I am finding it increasingly more difficult to read all the pessimism, negativity, rudeness, insults, ignorance and ugliness that is being posted - this is one of the most unmoderated forums I have ever been on. Fortunately, most of these people live in other cities/states and all I can say for that is thank goodness. If people are joining these forums to try to get a feel for an area, they deserve to hear the good as well as the bad. Everyone here, save for a few, is intent on painting Pittsburgh as a living Hell and disuading anyone from moving here. If what you people are saying is true in your posts about Pittsburhg losing population and no educated people are moving here - well is it any surprise with the rude, ignorant, biased, and subjective writings that are posted? You are all stating opinions and how are intelligent, educated people going to react to biased, whacked out negativity? How is Pittsburgh suppossed to be percieved as Progressive with these kind of neanderthal postings? Honestly, if I knew nothing about Pittsburgh, I would be frustrated reading these uninformational postings biased by negativity intent on showing one side of the story. Instead of focusing on the flaws and problems, how about being part of a solution and focusing on the positive instead of just complaining. Do you raise your child to focus on the negative,to be complacent and to always show them the ugly side of things? Then don't do it here, please. Sorry for rambling, but all negative and no positive makes Jack a frustrated boy. Thanks to those of you (Marcfromgreensburg, Mr.Mon, bboy36win) for the information and the best of luck to you all on this whacked forum. Stay positive...
Quite honestly, the major factor that keeps the Pittsburgh region from experiencing the same kind of resurgence that so many other cities have seen is the hundreds of thousands of chinenjims that live there -- people who are not content to merely be absurdly pessimistic all the time and couldn't be bothered to lift a finger do anything about it, but who actively discourage anyone else from trying to improve the situation. Because, hey, if things actually did improve, what would they have left to complain about?

But as I mentioned in an earlier post, the extent of civic involvement in the Pittsburgh area is truly remarkable. Thankfully there are enough people who love their city and want to make it a better place that they have managed to at least provide an equal offset to the chinenjims of the region. It's also just enough to keep hope alive during those times when you feel like you're surrounded by nothing but chinenjims.

All of this is relative anyway. The funny thing is, the region's problems aren't even that dire; but unfortunately, they have also not improved much over the last couple decades. And even so, I think you will find there are a lot of people like you out there: people who left Pittsburgh in frustration and/or because there were better job opportunities elsewhere, and yet after they've been out there and seen other places, they end up coming back home to Pittsburgh. Mike Madison notes at pittsblog.blogspot.com that this phenomenan has become widespread enough that he actually suggests a new motto for the city: "Come Home to Pittsburgh."

I tried to stay in Pittsburgh, but I just couldn't. For one, my wife and me could not find work whose compensation justified the time, effort and expense of our educations. For another, I kept hearing a voice in my head that said, "Come Home to Chicago."

Welcome back to the 'Burgh. Prepare yourself for a bit of culture shock though; I think you will find, for better or worse, that culturally speaking not much has changed since you left.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:35 PM

13 posts, read 37,354 times
Quote:
Tell that to the families of the victims that were savagely gunned down by Ronald Taylor in broad daylight in Wilkinsburg.
happens everyday, in large and small towns alike.... granted wilkensburg is higher in crime than other areas, but im not fearful of driving through it.

homestead is worse by far (still nothing to fear though)

Old 01-08-2007, 03:25 PM

35 posts, read 106,072 times
Default Have you ever lived anywhere else?

Quote:
You must be a resident from birth because if you think Pittsburgh crime is bad you have no clue. I would not move to Wilkinsburg but I don't have a problem driving through it from the hours of 6 AM to 6PM (Typical Rush Hour). Try living in Detroit, Baltimore, DC ... the list goes on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh