U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 07:55 PM

169 posts, read 55,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Wolf outlined the following consequences to counties and businesses that do not abide by the law to remain closed:

*Counties will not be eligible for federal stimulus discretionary funds the state receives and intends to provide to counties with populations of fewer than 500,000.

*Businesses in counties that do not abide by the law will no longer be eligible for business liability insurance and the protections it provides. The Pennsylvania Department of Insurance has details here

*Restaurants that reopen for dine-in service in counties that have not been authorized to reopen will be at risk of losing their liquor license.

*County residents receiving unemployment compensation will be able to continue to receive benefits even if their employer reopens. Employees may choose not to return out of concern for personal safety and safety of co-workers.

https://6abc.com/politics/gov-wolf-c...fight/6169351/
I see the thinking behind it. It's like how normal people don't like the idea of universal healthcare, because people don't take care of themselves; nobody wants to subsidize an obese person's diabetes treatment, or a smoker's cancer treatment, since they do it to themselves.

The breakdown, as far as I can tell, is that they're using statistics that are telling them that things are worse than they are, instead of understanding how the statistics don't reflect reality. IE, they're threatening to punish Beaver county (I don't know about Greene, TBH) because it looks like Beaver is unhealthy, when it isn't, in reality. There is a very un-representative bit of it that is very sick and needs help (the New Brighton nursing home), but the rest of it is better off than other places that they think are ok (presumably because their "metrics" are better).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 09:17 AM
gg gg started this thread

21,083 posts, read 20,165,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shift View Post
I see the thinking behind it. It's like how normal people don't like the idea of universal healthcare, because people don't take care of themselves; nobody wants to subsidize an obese person's diabetes treatment, or a smoker's cancer treatment, since they do it to themselves.

The breakdown, as far as I can tell, is that they're using statistics that are telling them that things are worse than they are, instead of understanding how the statistics don't reflect reality. IE, they're threatening to punish Beaver county (I don't know about Greene, TBH) because it looks like Beaver is unhealthy, when it isn't, in reality. There is a very un-representative bit of it that is very sick and needs help (the New Brighton nursing home), but the rest of it is better off than other places that they think are ok (presumably because their "metrics" are better).
It is amazing that Wolf can't see the obvious in Beaver's case. They had a huge issue at an assisted living facility, yet the entire county is being punished. This is why local is much better than state and state is much better than federal. Big clumsy large government dictatorships like Wolf has going on don't work correctly. He should have did what Trump did and gave more power to the county level with guidance.

We need more leaders that are willing to give up the power and let local governments do what is right for them. Trump did his part. Wolf clearly wants to strong arm everyone. Funny thing is, the left can't see the obvious.

I find it hilarious that people think there are a lot of MAGA people on this forum. I don't know if there are any at all. I don't even know if anyone on here voted for him. The left are very odd these days and extremely angry which clouds reality.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:24 AM

886 posts, read 234,785 times
Quote:
big clumsy large government dictatorships like wolf
lol.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:44 PM

12,730 posts, read 6,780,751 times
Here’s an excellent example for those that think most everyone should stay at home and are collecting free stuff. This man was denied free stuff and rather than starve due to a virus lockdown that’s nowhere near doomsday, he opened up and is getting awesome support for doing so.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.det.../amp/111669072

Old 05-12-2020, 03:14 PM

1,329 posts, read 337,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Here’s an excellent example for those that think most everyone should stay at home and are collecting free stuff. This man was denied free stuff and rather than starve due to a virus lockdown that’s nowhere near doomsday, he opened up and is getting awesome support for doing so.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.det.../amp/111669072
Bingo!

Old 05-12-2020, 03:21 PM

21,112 posts, read 19,015,230 times
So is Berks. Both the DA a democrat and the county sheriff , a republican are standing up to Wolfe. Of course Wolfe is threatening to retaliate against anyone that tries to keep the economy from imploding. If Wolfe thinks he's going to be hailed as a hero, he's a fool. More like he'll he'll be vilified as a despot.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
So is Berks. Both the DA a democrat and the county sheriff , a republican are standing up to Wolfe. Of course Wolfe is threatening to retaliate against anyone that tries to keep the economy from imploding. If Wolfe thinks he's going to be hailed as a hero, he's a fool. More like he'll he'll be vilified as a despot.
Bingo.

If that clown goes after anyone it will be the smallest and weakest that he can bully. I love these clowns who would love to see the economy implode to try to have a better chance at winning in November. Gonna be interesting to see what happens when their free stuff runs out.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Oh, my. This is serious, not just vilified, but "he'll he'll be vilified."
“he‘ll he’ll be vilified”? If you’re referring to Wolf, he’s already being vilified, and it’s not just Republicans putting pressure on him. I expect more push back towards him and I expect him to back down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or