Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2020, 06:52 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times

Advertisements

If you have any intention of selling your imaginary house, I don’t know why you wouldn’t have listed already. Covid is doing something weird to the upper middle class psyche, and people really want to nest.

https://pittsburghquarterly.com/arti...ousing-market/
Read the article, not the subhead. It’s partly suburban but not all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 07:22 AM

994 posts, read 501,917 times
Quote:
No kidding? They came on here to stir the pot and take the chat off the rails into la la land.
Why do you refer to yourself in the third person?

Old 08-06-2020, 08:19 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Why do you refer to yourself in the third person?
Seriously. I am quite sure that a corporate office development getting cancelled is not going to send your average professional class east end resident to go off crying into their beer or bubble tea or whatever. It got built up to such a degree in the pull quote and then when you read the article it’s like “yeah! Sticking it to the east end bourgeosis elitist... real estate developer?”

At least it’s an ethos.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:42 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,685,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
If you have any intention of selling your imaginary house, I don’t know why you wouldn’t have listed already. Covid is doing something weird to the upper middle class psyche, and people really want to nest.

That’s a great article. It backs up what I have been saying about the city vs suburbs or small town living. People are going to be drawn to suburbs exburbs and small towns. The popularity of dense inner city living is finished for the foreseeable future.

I own my place in the city. I have looked at a few places in greensburg and Washington city as well as Delmont. I am going to see a home in Beaver as well.

The east ends best days are behind it. Too dense, too overpriced and socially it has reached a boiling point with protests in East Liberty and wanting the police station to stay in highland park. It’s going to go back like it was in the 80s and 90s. The only difference is the commercial property will be updated but remain vacant.

I’m headed out and likely many others will follow according to that article you posted. Back to suburb exburban and small town living with space.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:55 AM

994 posts, read 501,917 times
There is no doubt that Covid may create more interest in living in less dense places, but there is no evidence that there is going to be a mass exodus from cities, or to the extent that people do leave, how long it lasts... given that there will be a return to normal in a couple years.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:58 AM

806 posts, read 260,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post

Note that stories like that are based on searches, not actual purchases;

https://www.curbed.com/2020/7/13/213...moving-suburbs

A house search in the suburbs indicates some level of interest, but a search does not a sale make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
There is no doubt that Covid may create more interest in living in less dense places, but there is no evidence that there is going to be a mass exodus from cities, or to the extent that people do leave, how long it lasts... given that there will be a return to normal in a couple years.
A new car is already a luxury for working people; I don't see people moving to places where they'll have multi-hour commutes when the automobile-centered lifestyle is increasingly unaffordable for the median American family.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:12 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I’m headed out and likely many others will follow according to that article you posted. Back to suburb exburban and small town living with space.
Great news.

The city could definitely do without the negativity that people that are unhappy with their lives display on the regular.

I never understood why you just didn’t leave already, if it is actually true that you have the means to do so.

Be more proactive.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:09 PM

146 posts, read 133,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Great news.

The city could definitely do without the negativity that people that are unhappy with their lives display on the regular.

I never understood why you just didn’t leave already, if it is actually true that you have the means to do so.

Be more proactive.
Many people had to stay in the city for employment reasons. Eventually, all the cons of city life just became too overwhelming. Corona was the last straw for some. The black lives matter race riots certainly didn't help things. And employers allowing more and more employees to work from home has made it feasible. Why live in the city when someone can live in Latrobe, work from home, and not have to deal with the city filth? The age of the city is over. Employees are slow to return to work after Corona. Many employers offer remote work options now and employees won't give that benefit up easily. Top employers will all offer remote work options in the near future. The biggest changes won't even be in the suburbs. It will be younger people moving from Lawrenceville to places like Uniontown, Indiana, Altoona, etc to buy their first homes while working for companies "based" in the city.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan14 View Post
Many people had to stay in the city for employment reasons. Eventually, all the cons of city life just became too overwhelming. Corona was the last straw for some. The black lives matter race riots certainly didn't help things. And employers allowing more and more employees to work from home has made it feasible. Why live in the city when someone can live in Latrobe, work from home, and not have to deal with the city filth? The age of the city is over. Employees are slow to return to work after Corona. Many employers offer remote work options now and employees won't give that benefit up easily. Top employers will all offer remote work options in the near future. The biggest changes won't even be in the suburbs. It will be younger people moving from Lawrenceville to places like Uniontown, Indiana, Altoona, etc to buy their first homes while working for companies "based" in the city.
If you seriously think that young people are going to move from Lawrenceville to Altoona I don't know what to tell you. That's the most outlandish thing I've seen in this thread.

Those of us with big city paychecks like to have big city places to spend them. There's nothing in Altoona for me or anyone younger than me with a bit of bread.

Quote:
Why live in the city when someone can live in Latrobe, work from home, and not have to deal with the city filth?
Young people don't have the same ideas about "city filth" that you and yours do. I choose to in the city and I've been able to work remotely for a decade now.

Old 08-07-2020, 01:46 PM

It looks a lot like there's one person behind four or five different accounts, posting the same exact ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh