Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 08:00 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I was in Saint John, NB last summer and was surprised at home a lot of neighborhoods felt like they could fit in Pittsburgh perfectly
Yeah, the core of St. John is basically all wood-framed rowhouses - which is an uncommon housing typology which is found in certain parts of Pittsburgh. Sections of it could pass for Bloomfield or Troy Hill.

Still, it looks like parts of Pittsburgh, not Pittsburgh as a whole. Much like cities like York have neighborhoods that could be part of the North Side. Or this part of Columbus could be Friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFury View Post
In terms of "feel" from walking around the downtown and the super inner-ring suburban areas, I would submit Louisville, KY. It's slightly more spread out, but the architecture was cooler than I'd expect to find in a smaller midwestern city (definitely an unfair supposition on my part).
My brother lives in Louisville, so I know it pretty well. The built form is not that similar to Pittsburgh. While it has some "Ohio River" vibes, it's still a southern city with lots of shotgun housing and little in the way of rowhouses. Sometimes the styles jam together in weird ways however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 08:08 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,517,350 times
I've always got Pittsburgh vibes when in the following cities, but usually only in certain areas. I haven't found a city that is a close all around replica

- Boston
- Cincinnati
- St. Louis

To be clear, I also think these cities have areas that feel nothing like Pittsburgh.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:14 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
I was in Saint John, NB last summer and was surprised at home a lot of neighborhoods felt like they could fit in Pittsburgh perfectly
interesting! what were you doing in new brunswick and did you enjoy your time there?

Old 07-16-2020, 09:35 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
interesting! what were you doing in new brunswick and did you enjoy your time there?

I can't believe I confused St. Johns Newfoundland with Saint John, New Brunswick.

Saint John does look a lot more like Pittsburgh overall in that there's some brick in the core, though more frame in the outlying areas. It also looks a bit grittier. The topography isn't much like Pittsburgh however, with the core area almost pancake flat.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:14 AM

easy mistake, though!

one of the two is a bit unsavory...maybe the one in NB. i think THAT 'john' has a pervasive drug culture, and crime that goes with it.

years ago when i was a big hockey fan, with even following the juniors leagues, the two Johns were confusing. one was a power center for junior hockey, the other, hardly a blip on the radar.

edit: had a relative by marriage who is a Newfie native. I would like to visit that corner of the continent. The Vikings were there prior to Columbus, but they did not sustain a colony - it was too difficult. The Vikings, I believe I read, may have erred in their seafaring travels and gone as far south as the Carolinas. maybe their culture just did not lend to being able to sustain a colony so far from their homeland....

i digress (bored with work).

Old 07-16-2020, 02:27 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I went on a cruise to New England in Eastern Canada that also took us to Maine, Boston, and Halifax. It was a great trip and I've always wanted to see that part of the continent and figured a cruise would be the easiest way to cover the most ground.

I also must say from going to Boston a couple times too, I can see how there are definitely some similarities between us and them in some ways.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 07-16-2020 at 02:35 PM..

Old 07-16-2020, 02:30 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

I can't believe I confused St. Johns Newfoundland with Saint John, New Brunswick.

Saint John does look a lot more like Pittsburgh overall in that there's some brick in the core, though more frame in the outlying areas. It also looks a bit grittier. The topography isn't much like Pittsburgh however, with the core area almost pancake flat.
All good! It was a little weird being so far from Pittsburgh but seeing so many neighborhoods that feel like they could be part of the city.

Ironically too, we stopped in a provincial ran liquor store while in New Brunswick and they were doing one of those charity sports photos you sometimes see at places like Chili's, and what they were giving away was for the Penguin's back-to-back cups from a couple years ago!

Old 07-16-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
... what they were giving away was for the Penguin's back-to-back cups from a couple years ago!
huh! maybe its a Sid Crosby fan base, the way there was somewhat of a Marino fan base here for obvious reasons, and the fact that the steelers were not good in that era.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:46 PM

189 posts, read 166,044 times
Porto, Portugal
A city defined by the river and bridges, a little gritty, cool architecture and interesting ‘hoods. Great food. A similar market area to the Strip. Overall a super cool city.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:25 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,683,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
What were the votes of residents within city limits? The post is just asking about the cities, not what metro areas seem most similar to Pittsburgh's.
Pittsburgh City

Clinton 114,847=78%
Trump 31,805= 22%

Cincinnati City

Clinton 100,866 =78%
Trump 28,797= 22%

That looks pretty much identical in percentage to me.

I thought I would throw Cleveland in there as well. Clinton got 82% of the vote and trump got 14% in Cleveland city.

Clinton won the suburbs of Cleveland with 60% and trump Got 36%. That is only for Cuyahoga county.

Cleveland and it’s metro is way more liberal than Pittsburgh. Suburb of Pepper Pike median family income is $133,000. Clinton got 63% of the vote there and trump 33%

Last edited by Independentthinking83; 07-16-2020 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh