U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2020, 05:01 PM
gg

24,836 posts, read 23,585,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
and you take this at face value, right away?

do you recall the incident with I think it was Connellsville and Allderice (soccer) a year or so ago? After a couple weeks, more information came to light that pretty much dissected the first headline.
I am subject to ageism, sexism and racism on a daily basis in the city from mostly left wing women. I just suck it up and rise above them. Just what it is like to be a white man over 50 in any city. Who cares? You get used to dumb people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 07:20 PM

751 posts, read 387,463 times
Well, I live in Bethel Park and that Sheets is about as reflective of the municipality as the Flying-J on I-90 at Cleveland is of that city (at least I think there's a Flying-J on I-90 outside Cleveland . . . oh well, you get the point!). Rt. 88 extends from Overbroox to the WV state line. There's a lot of people that stop there who wouldn't even know they are in Bethel Park. Try any of the shopping centers where locals go (like Hillcrest or South Park Shops or Village Sq.). I have observed 100% compliance at these places since early July.

For the record, I have seen no more or less implicit or explicit bias here than anywhere else I have lived. White people everywhere I have lived have had some amount of bias, especially implicit bias when I lived in NY. More to the point about the charecter of the area in general: I have a friend who lives in Regent Sq. and he is always amazed at how laid back dirvers in particular are when he visits this area. I think this is mostly due to the average age being a good bit higher here than there.

Here's a very recent (not 2016) article in the Pgh Current. Read the story about the african american women in Mt. Washington. It's the third "profile". It's really sickening. They are all sickening but that one just felt like a kick in the gut. But I don't assume the majority of people in the city feel that way. I would think twice before making such generalizations about ANY place.

https://www.pittsburghcurrent.com/ra...ross-the-city/

Last edited by Charley Barker; 08-07-2020 at 08:07 PM..

Old 08-07-2020, 08:34 PM

6,094 posts, read 4,426,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I am subject to ageism, sexism and racism on a daily basis in the city from mostly left wing women. I just suck it up and rise above them. Just what it is like to be a white man over 50 in any city. Who cares? You get used to dumb people.

i am surprised to hear that. but, like i doubt everything - are you SURE? could it be you are just unfortunate to run into those that have a stick up their butt? (i find many are like that - you ask to step back so you might not run the car over their feet, and you almost are in a fight....)

or do you maybe yell when you talk normally?

things like that. i used to be LOUD, actually, and then realized that puts off a lot of people.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:07 PM

1,700 posts, read 848,991 times
This isn't directed at anyone specific but you also need to consider the person making the allegations personality. Are they being treated a certain way because of their race/religion/views or because they are just a !@#$ of a person?

Old 08-07-2020, 09:22 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i am surprised to hear that. but, like i doubt everything - are you SURE? could it be you are just unfortunate to run into those that have a stick up their butt? (i find many are like that - you ask to step back so you might not run the car over their feet, and you almost are in a fight....)

or do you maybe yell when you talk normally?

things like that. i used to be LOUD, actually, and then realized that puts off a lot of people.
I have a feeling people don't hear others when in the city. I hear everything, unfortunately. My hearing is too good. I am very quiet to be honest, so my observation is just being a quiet person listening. The young women are really awful towards older white men. Heck, I am only in my early 50's. I have never seen anything like what I hear in my lifetime. I used to treat older people very well as it was just how I was brought up. Seems this younger generation is really self-centered and hates white men. Just look at the protests. White women everywhere. Black people aren't even there much at all. It has been highjacked. My guess is they hate Trump and see all white men as "Trump". They aren't overly bright, but I have to be around them. I just look at them as dumb people and roll my eyes.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:30 PM

6,094 posts, read 4,426,597 times
Quote:
I have a feeling people don't hear others when in the city. I hear everything, unfortunately. My hearing is too good. I am very quiet to be honest, so my observation is just being a quiet person listening. The young women are really awful towards older white men. Heck, I am only in my early 50's. I have never seen anything like what I hear in my lifetime. I used to treat older people very well as it was just how I was brought up. Seems this younger generation is really self-centered and hates white men. Just look at the protests. White women everywhere. Black people aren't even there much at all. It has been highjacked. My guess is they hate Trump and see all white men as "Trump". They aren't overly bright, but I have to be around them. I just look at them as dumb people and roll my eyes.

are you maybe in a bike club? or some political action group? where are you running into enough young women to make this generalization?

i mean, there might be one i see often working at a particular convenience store, who always is full of attitude, but then there might be a dog walking young woman who isnt fearful for idle chatter about her cute dog or something.

im not doubting your experience and what is true to you, but i guess i am just puzzled what/how a 50+ yr old guy is involved with that it reinforces this to you. maybe working a pt job at a food place?

Old 08-08-2020, 06:20 PM

756 posts, read 1,138,825 times
Some people refuse to wear a mask because there are some personality types who don't want to be told what to do, there
has been a dumb-down of American culture since the early nineties, along with lots of sources of unverified information that
people have been lead to believe.

Because of this, experts and scientists who have decades of experience in some circles are not believed, thus for instance you
have a generation of anti-vaxers who read some "study". Thus, childhood diseases which have been eradicated in the United States are making a comeback.

This lack of critical thinking and false, unverified information overload, and perceptions of reality account for this mask refusal.
Because of mis-information it has become politicized for debate of who said to wear a mask or not instead of looking at it as a national health issue.

Pure and simple, keep your hips at home as much as possible and wear a mask. We need a sense of national purpose and unity in this country right now.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:31 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
Some people refuse to wear a mask because there are some personality types who don't want to be told what to do, there
has been a dumb-down of American culture since the early nineties, along with lots of sources of unverified information that
people have been lead to believe.

Because of this, experts and scientists who have decades of experience in some circles are not believed, thus for instance you
have a generation of anti-vaxers who read some "study". Thus, childhood diseases which have been eradicated in the United States are making a comeback.

This lack of critical thinking and false, unverified information overload, and perceptions of reality account for this mask refusal.
Because of mis-information it has become politicized for debate of who said to wear a mask or not instead of looking at it as a national health issue.

Pure and simple, keep your hips at home as much as possible and wear a mask. We need a sense of national purpose and unity in this country right now.
Well do you feel the world has too many people on it? Maybe some feel the strong should survive and the weak it is time to go. There is a lot more to it than what you state.

I wear a mask if I am in some store or near others. I don't wear one if I am away from others. Common sense. I don't want to be around someone without a mask. That is my choice. I also feel some young people like teenagers and 20's can just live their lives for the most part. They are being held back for about nothing.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:22 PM

3,828 posts, read 1,347,989 times
Quote:
Well do you feel the world has too many people on it? Maybe some feel the strong should survive and the weak it is time to go. There is a lot more to it than what you state.

I wear a mask if I am in some store or near others. I don't wear one if I am away from others. Common sense. I don't want to be around someone without a mask. That is my choice. I also feel some young people like teenagers and 20's can just live their lives for the most part. They are being held back for about nothing.
Wow that’s a great post. Exactly what I have been thinking lately.

Old 08-09-2020, 08:21 AM

756 posts, read 1,138,825 times
Quote:

The world does not have too many people in it, you just have a small, greedy minority controlling all the resources creating poverty, of course, its way more complicated than that. When some people get into
who should survive and who should not, that idea carried to its logical conclusion leads to genocide or
triage. (Pol Lot killed people for wearing glasses as that was a defect.)

Of course these people will decide it will be OTHER weak people who should die, not THEIR grandma, grandpa
great-aunts and uncles. The people who feel this way should remember their A$$ will be old and weak someday, someone WILL carry them to where they don't want to go.

Some of these young people in their teens and 20s, think they know everything ( Don't get me started on
THIS generation some with their bad case of brought-ruptcy not being brought up right, LOL).

Its is best to be preventive in the first place about things as opposed to being reactive (Oh what do we do
now?!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh