Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:39 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Again, most of the Pittsburgh region wasn't particularly close to LA in the rankings for soot
Most of the Pittsburgh region? What is the Pittsburgh Region? Are we talking about LA and Pittsburgh or are we talking about LA county (VERY LARGE) and Allegheny county?
Most of the Pittsburgh region is swamp land compared to the areas around LA so it would be really really really surprising if it was in any way equivalent! LA as a city is not particularly big, its LA county that is large. And LA county is not all equally polluted in any sense, for example all the coastal areas are rather clean.

Quote:
Here are a couple:
These aren't done by serious organizations. Where are the studies even? The tartan one was rather cute though, the idea Pittsburgh area is some how green is absolutely funny. Where do you even recycle paper in the area?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 10:22 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Most of the Pittsburgh region? What is the Pittsburgh Region? Are we talking about LA and Pittsburgh or are we talking about LA county (VERY LARGE) and Allegheny county?
Most of the Pittsburgh region is swamp land compared to the areas around LA so it would be really really really surprising if it was in any way equivalent! LA as a city is not particularly big, its LA county that is large. And LA county is not all equally polluted in any sense, for example all the coastal areas are rather clean.

These aren't done by serious organizations. Where are the studies even? The tartan one was rather cute though, the idea Pittsburgh area is some how green is absolutely funny. Where do you even recycle paper in the area?!?
Thank you! I don't get that either. WHAT recycling system? Do these people in this city never travel or look into what other cities are accomplishing? I guess not!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:23 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
Quote:
I suggest reading some of the followup articles above, if you haven't already. They provide the sorts of information you are asking for.

Quote:
These aren't done by serious organizations.
"Mercer is a human resource consulting firm, headquartered in New York City, New York, that is recognized as one of the leading business institutions in the world. It has been ranked by Vault.com, Inc. as the #1 human resource consultancy for several years running, including most recently in 2008."

Mercer (consulting firm) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Forbes is an American publishing and media company. Its flagship publication, Forbes magazine, is published bi-weekly. Its primary competitors in the national business magazine category are Fortune, which is also published bi-weekly, and BusinessWeek. Today the magazine is known for its lists, including its lists of the richest Americans (the Forbes 400) and its list of billionaires."

Forbes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Thank you! I don't get that either. WHAT recycling system? Do these people in this city never travel or look into what other cities are accomplishing? I guess not!
Recycling

Old 05-03-2008, 10:27 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,321,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
THIS is recycling! (http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Recycle/RecycleGuidelines.asp - broken link) These people know how to do it right.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
With all due respect Brian, an HR consulting agency does not likely know how to evaluate air pollution data like the ALA does. Why is an HR consulting agency doing studies of "clean cities" anyway? It seems a little out of their bailiwick. My brother has worked in HR for 30 yrs, and I can guarantee his knowledge of statisitcs about science could fit on the head of a pin.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:15 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,085 times
BrianTH, you posting about the organizations just proves my point. In what sense is a consulting agency and a media company qualified in any way to analyze the environment? These studies are most likely paid for by some 3rd party that wanted to show something (for marketing reasons really).

HA HA, this made me laugh so hard! The city government is such a joke. From there site: "Recycling is mandatory for every resident, business, office and institution in the City of Pittsburgh (City Code 619)". HA HA! I have no doubt there are places to take things to be recycled, but where are they exactly? Seriously, someone tell me the process I need to go through to recycle some paper. If I have to go drive 10 miles to recycle a bag of paper then well, that is pointless. I just did more damage to the environment by driving than I would do good by recycle the bag of paper. Curb sided pick up? Funny.

This is how other areas do it. They give you 3 trash cans, one for trash, one for recyclable material, one for yard waste. You are forced to recycle because the single trash can is not enough for all your waste. Now you can usually purchase another can, but then you'll pay double for trash pick up. All 3 cans are picked up once a week.

Mandatory, HAHA! I can't stop laughing....seriously.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
With all due respect Brian, an HR consulting agency does not likely know how to evaluate air pollution data like the ALA does. Why is an HR consulting agency doing studies of "clean cities" anyway? It seems a little out of their bailiwick. My brother has worked in HR for 30 yrs, and I can guarantee his knowledge of statisitcs about science could fit on the head of a pin.
Mercer does many surveys of this kind. Keep in mind that as a global consulting firm, they are often advising multinational corporations on things like where to allocate their human capital to maximize productivity, which is why they do these global city comparisons. Incidentally, they also have an entire unit devoted to health issues alone, which have a proven relation to productivity.

Last edited by BrianTH; 05-03-2008 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
BrianTH, you posting about the organizations just proves my point. In what sense is a consulting agency and a media company qualified in any way to analyze the environment?
Both business consulting and business media companies do a great deal of work of this kind--after all, they are both in the business of collecting and analyzing information that would be useful to their customers. Of course, they have the resources to hire relevant experts for any given project.

Quote:
I have no doubt there are places to take things to be recycled, but where are they exactly? Seriously, someone tell me the process I need to go through to recycle some paper.
You can take paper to any of five drop off locations. See here:

Drop-Off Information

Old 05-03-2008, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Mercer does many surveys of this kind. Keep in mind that as a global consulting firm, they are often advising multinational corporations on things like where to allocate their human capital to maximize productivity, which is why they do these global city comparisons. Incidentally, they also have an entire unit devoted to health issues alone, which have a proven relation to productivity.
Just because they're doing them, or doing stuff on health care, doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. Productivity is not the same thing as measuring environmental values or health care for that matter. Don't get me going on health care, LOL! The productivity experts were responsible for a lot of downsizing several years ago that resulted in increased morbitity and mortality in many cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh