Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 09:20 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,032 times

Advertisements

I didn't say it was.

In this particular case, the distance between the front door of the Giant Eagle and the front door of the Walmart is about three tenths of a mile, and they literally razed the middle of Northern Lights center to build the access road to the Walmart.

Now, if the Walmart closes, that's saying something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 09:23 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I didn't say it was.

In this particular case, the distance between the front door of the Giant Eagle and the front door of the Walmart is about three tenths of a mile, and they literally razed the middle of Northern Lights center to build the access road to the Walmart.

Now, if the Walmart closes, that's saying something.
Northern Lights Shopping Center was all but nothing left last time I was through there. Looked to be about 4 businesses left including GE.

That’s also not limited to Baden....and that GE was there for 25 years, so that’s saying something.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:26 PM

Whatever. Have it your way.

Sorta surprising of Walmart to build in an area that can't support a Giant Eagle though, isn't it?

Old 12-05-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Whatever. Have it your way.

Sorta surprising of Walmart to build in an area that can't support a Giant Eagle though, isn't it?
It’s not my way. It’s what’s left of that shopping center that used to thrive. Could be wrong, but there’s very few businesses left in that huge center without GE, and I don’t know if some of the businesses out front on 65 count as the shopping center.

GE only has groceries. There’s all but nothing left in that area unless residents want to travel to Monaca/Center Twp.

When was the last time you were in Baden and that area?

Last edited by erieguy; 12-05-2020 at 09:49 PM..

Old 12-05-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
It’s not my way.
And for those keeping score at home, you edited your comment about the state of Northern Lights, and the age of the Giant Eagle in, after I'd posted my reply, which addressed your point that Walmart and Giant Eagle being within a mile of each other isn't limited to Baden. (I don't recall your exact words.) And I didn't dispute that.

Quote:
There’s all but nothing left in that area unless residents want to travel to Monaca/Center Twp.
What, to the Walmart there?

But again, why would Walmart build that store in Economy then?

(BTW, there's a Shop n Save in East Rochester, another one in Harmony Twp., and another Giant Eagle in Rochester, which are all closer than Center Twp. By the time you go from Baden to Center Twp. you could be at the Shop N Save on Freedom Road.)

Oh, I see another edit from you:

Quote:
When was the last time you were in Baden and that area?
Monaca, East Rochester, Freedom, New Sewickley, Cranberry, Friday. Economy, Leet, Ambridge, today. Baden proper, last week, although I didn't actually pass Northern Lights at that time.

Edit to add: Above I only named grocery alternatives to the Northern lights Giant Eagle, and I get your point about other consumer goods and services. I suspect that the development of Cranberry and environs did a lot to cannibalize Northern Lights' constituency over the course of many years.

Last edited by ditchdigger; 12-05-2020 at 10:22 PM..

Old 12-05-2020, 10:24 PM

Quote:
And for those keeping score at home, you edited your comment about the state of Northern Lights, and the age of the Giant Eagle in, after I'd posted my reply, which addressed your point that Walmart and Giant Eagle being within a mile of each other isn't limited to Baden. (I don't recall your exact words.) And I didn't dispute that.

What, to the Walmart there?

But again, why would Walmart build that store in Economy then?

(BTW, there's a Shop n Save in East Rochester, another one in Harmony Twp., and another Giant Eagle in Rochester, which are all closer than Center Twp. By the time you go from Baden to Center Twp. you could be at the Shop N Save on Freedom Road.)

Oh, I see another edit from you:

Monaca, East Rochester, Freedom, New Sewickley, Cranberry, Friday. Economy, Leet, Ambridge, today. Baden proper, last week, although I didn't actually pass Northern Lights at that time.
For you keeping track at home, nothing I edited had anything to do with your response. The age of the GE is in the article, and I didn’t edit anything about GE being less than a mile from a Walmart isn’t limited to Baden.

Already answered that. GE only sells groceries. With Walmart there, people don’t have to travel to any areas you mentioned.

Yep, grocery stores. What else is in that area other than Dollar General and Big Lots in Rochester? How far do Baden residents have to travel to Rochester, E. Rochester, and Harmony Twp?

So you didn’t pay attention to Northern Lights. What else is in the area to get things other than groceries, other than the Dollar General and Big Lots in Rochester?

Since you were in Cranberry, you should know that there’s a GE less than a mile from Walmart.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-05-2020 at 10:34 PM..

Old 12-05-2020, 10:48 PM

229,000 square feet. Good Year, Burger King, and Taco Bell are on 65, so not actually in the shopping center, and Economy Police is one of the businesses. Very few businesses left, if any high traffic businesses with GE leaving.
Stores - Northern Lights Shopping Center

If GE was making money, why would they leave after 25 years?

Old 12-06-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
GE only sells groceries. With Walmart there, people don’t have to travel to any areas you mentioned.
Yep. Although the lady in the article lamented the loss of choice now.

So we were talking about groceries, not really other goods and services.

To recap, gg said, " If a Giant Eagle can't make it there, that is saying something", to which I replied, "I think, more than anything else, it's saying there's a Walmart across the street...", to which you replied, " A Walmart being around a mile away from a Giant Eagle isn’t limited to Baden."

Was I incorrect to infer that you saw that Walmart's proximity to GE as a non-factor in its closing? If I was incorrect, what was your point?

(It was that which I was happy to let you have "your way". The follow up question was to present an opening for you to expound on why.)

Quote:
If GE was making money, why would they leave after 25 years?
Bingo.

They wouldn't, would they? And if Walmart didn't think they were going to make money, would they have built there?

Since I was addressing gg's suggestion that GE's closing was a sign of the declining fortunes of the area as a whole, I don't see my point as being invalid. Walmart wins the competition for Baden's grocery dollars, and GE loses, pure and simple. Walmart probably wins the competition for a bunch of the other consumer dollars that used to be spent at Northern Lights too. The closing of Giant Eagle, in and of itself, does not say about the area what I think gg intended to imply.

Maybe it means that Baden ain't Cranberry, but I don't think anybody ever said it was.

I mentioned Cranberry because I do think folks from further back in the hills, who might've gone down to the 65 corridor years ago, don't do that anymore. Heck, Baden and Conway and Ambridge people probably spend a few bucks there too. There's LOTS of stuff in Cranberry. And apparently, enough consumer dollars to support both GE and Walmart and...etc., etc., etc.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Yep. Although the lady in the article lamented the loss of choice now.

So we were talking about groceries, not really other goods and services.

To recap, gg said, " If a Giant Eagle can't make it there, that is saying something", to which I replied, "I think, more than anything else, it's saying there's a Walmart across the street...", to which you replied, " A Walmart being around a mile away from a Giant Eagle isn’t limited to Baden."

Was I incorrect to infer that you saw that Walmart's proximity to GE as a non-factor in its closing? If I was incorrect, what was your point?

(It was that which I was happy to let you have "your way". The follow up question was to present an opening for you to expound on why.)

Bingo.

They wouldn't, would they? And if Walmart didn't think they were going to make money, would they have built there?

Since I was addressing gg's suggestion that GE's closing was a sign of the declining fortunes of the area as a whole, I don't see my point as being invalid. Walmart wins the competition for Baden's grocery dollars, and GE loses, pure and simple. Walmart probably wins the competition for a bunch of the other consumer dollars that used to be spent at Northern Lights too. The closing of Giant Eagle, in and of itself, does not say about the area what I think gg intended to imply.

Maybe it means that Baden ain't Cranberry, but I don't think anybody ever said it was.

I mentioned Cranberry because I do think folks from further back in the hills, who might've gone down to the 65 corridor years ago, don't do that anymore. Heck, Baden and Conway and Ambridge people probably spend a few bucks there too. There's LOTS of stuff in Cranberry. And apparently, enough consumer dollars to support both GE and Walmart and...etc., etc., etc.
There’s also a GE in 7 Fields, 3 miles from Cranberry Walmart

If there was enough money in the Baden area, like many other areas, both would thrive. Walmart is quite subpar compared to Walmart in selection, especially meat, seafood, lunch meat, prepared foods, produce, etc...

With the exception of the Shell Cracker Plant and Norfolk Southern, there’s very little going on there. Many businesses have closed even pre virus, and it’s becoming a ghost town for businesses, especially that shopping center.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-06-2020 at 12:26 AM..

Old 12-06-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Walmart is quite subpar compared to Walmart in selection, ...

I'll have to ponder that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh