U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 07:44 AM

208 posts, read 106,717 times

Advertisements

Canonsburg is a little bit larger size borough and small town (2.31 square miles) located in northern Washington County, about 5 miles south of the Allegheny County line and 20 miles from downtown Pittsburgh. Its population is just shy of 9,000. It shares Canon-McMillan School District with the neighboring townships of Cecil and North Strabane.

Canonsburg was first established in 1791. The date of its first settlement was unknown. It was named after Colonel John Canon, who was a miller who served as justice at the Virginia courts of Fort Pitt. He purchased the land to use foe the settlement when Pennsylvania was carved out of Virginia and Washington County was formed. The town has a history dating back to the Whiskey Rebellion and was also home to the first college west of the Allegheny Mountains, Jefferson College, founded in 1802, which later became Washington and Jefferson College. The town's history is also dominated by its location in a rich coal and steel industrial area. That, along with the presence of the Pittsburgh and Ohio Central Railroad, dominated its economy in its early days. Its population peaked at nearly 13,000 in 1940.

Today, while Canonsburg's age has shown a little bit in some of the houses and buildings, it still isn't doing bad for an industrial town. Some of the houses are still kept very nice and it still has an intact downtown business district. The borough is not exclusively a residential town. There are pockets of small suburban shopping centers and fast-food restaurant within the borough's limits right off I-79 and the Morganza Road exit. While its population has declined naturally a little bit from its peak, it did see a small increase in the 2010 census, presumably due to construction of apartment buildings, with the economy of its surrounding townships booming. The town also still has a strong tourism sector with being the home of specialty chocolate company Sarris Candies, founded in 1960. It is also home to the second largest 4th of July Parade in Pennsylvania, only after Philadelphia, which typically attracts 50-60,000 people annually.

In the future, I see Canonsburg to continue to have a natural decline due to its age. However, I think it will remain the kind of small town area to continue to thrive in its own right due to tourism, the economic sector in the surrounding areas, good quality school district, and convenient highway access.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 08:59 AM

3,139 posts, read 1,897,501 times
Canonsburg area is Crooner Capital of the Country, having two legends as it's hometown boys - Perry Como and Bobby Vinton.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:10 PM

3,880 posts, read 1,959,237 times
All-Clad is also based out of Canonsburg. Plenty of people hit up their fantastic semi-annual factory seconds sale.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:35 PM

3,411 posts, read 2,936,673 times
There is a very good dive restaurant in canonsburg. It is called Alice's restaurant. There is also a very good lumber yard, liberty lumber. Sarris candy is also in canonsburg, if you go there make sure you go to their ice cream shop.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:41 PM

5,202 posts, read 5,362,532 times
Is Mylan Labs still headquartered in Canonsburg?

Old 12-09-2020, 07:17 AM

208 posts, read 106,717 times
[quote=Wells5;59865672]Is Mylan Labs still headquartered in Canonsburg?[/QUOTE

They were bought by Pfizer, summer 2019. I think they will still be based there though, that's the Southpointe business park in neighboring Cecil Township, which I will discuss in a couple weeks.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:07 AM

610 posts, read 703,518 times
Now that I live in the area, I'll have to take a peek at Canonsburg. I'm a descendant of John Canon via his son Joshua.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:59 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,603,809 times
Canonsburg had the honor of being the most radioactive town in PA. All that radioactive material is now encapsulated, but that was a huge strike against the area for me.

“The Canonsburg disposal site, off Strabane Avenue, houses a containment cell that holds about 226,000 dry tons of contaminated material, including uranium mill tailings, both from the site and off-site locations.”

https://observer-reporter.com/news/l...abda8adc1.html

Old 12-21-2020, 07:14 PM

2,194 posts, read 2,412,113 times
Cannonsburg also has connections to Marie Curie.
https://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/m...adium-City.pdf

Perry Como and Bobby Vinton were both from Cannonsburg.

I spent quite a bit of time in that area between 1992 and 2013 when I lived in Hendersonville.

Old 12-21-2020, 07:23 PM

37,452 posts, read 14,527,505 times
Getting together at Jays Bar to watch the Pens practice was a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh