Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 12:19 PM

1,913 posts, read 738,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ryan View Post
That's a simplistic approach, but ok.
Uh no its not. You must be one of those unable to anticipate the consequences of their beliefs and actions. Or you don't pay for your own health insurance and don't care about those who do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2021, 12:23 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Uh no its not. You must be one of those unable to anticipate the consequences of their beliefs and actions. Or you don't pay for your own health insurance and don't care about those who do.
Many can’t think/see that far ahead and have to learn the hard way. Always interesting when the be careful what you wish for scenarios come true, however.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:37 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
That's going to be a cluster**** tolling the Northfork bridges on 80. They're situated between two exits that are three miles apart (78 and 81, Brookville and Hazen).

Right now if there's an issue between them (which happens often. The westbound bridge is miserable, the approach comes down a hill and left curves into the bridge. Vehicles go off the road there regularly) and traffic gets diverted onto 322 through Brookville. That totally clogs up everything for hours. I can see the same thing happening just to avoid tolls.

The Canoe Creek bridge was just rebuilt five or so years ago. It's not a long bridge but it's high.

As far as small towns paying for State Police coverage, I don't know Pennsylvania's numbers but I'd bet I'm close if I say it would cost close to $1M/year to have full time coverage (7 Troopers X $115K). Those small towns, and many of them are actually just wide spots in the road in a Township, couldn't afford one Trooper let alone seven.

The Eastern Shore of Maryland is much the same, the State Police are the primary law enforcement agency in many of the Counties.

And in both states the response time approaches an hour.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's going to be a cluster**** tolling the Northfork bridges on 80. They're situated between two exits that are three miles apart (78 and 81, Brookville and Hazen).

Right now if there's an issue between them (which happens often. The westbound bridge is miserable, the approach comes down a hill and left curves into the bridge. Vehicles go off the road there regularly) and traffic gets diverted onto 322 through Brookville. That totally clogs up everything for hours. I can see the same thing happening just to avoid tolls.

The Canoe Creek bridge was just rebuilt five or so years ago. It's not a long bridge but it's high.

As far as small towns paying for State Police coverage, I don't know Pennsylvania's numbers but I'd bet I'm close if I say it would cost close to $1M/year to have full time coverage (7 Troopers X $115K). Those small towns, and many of them are actually just wide spots in the road in a Township, couldn't afford one Trooper let alone seven.

The Eastern Shore of Maryland is much the same, the State Police are the primary law enforcement agency in many of the Counties.

And in both states the response time approaches an hour.
That sounds fantastic, lol.

In their defense, many want the meanie police officers defunded, so paying them anything is too much.

Response time of an hour sounds perfect. I’m sure there’s a lot of happy folks waiting an hour for police to show up.

At least even with the money crunch and lousy infrastructure, there’s time and money being spent on bike lanes. https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021...neighborhoods/

Old 03-11-2021, 07:25 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...e=cmg-tv-10080

now before people get all up in arms - this is democracy, ok? it should be discussed. the DOT needs to repair a bridge - its not looking to draft your first born for a foreign war, so calm down, for starters. if someone wants to challenge it, fine, lets hear the argument.

in the video found in the link, i really doubt the 99% of those polled would CONTINUE to take an alternative route to avoid the toll, after the first few weeks of aggravating traffic.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...e=cmg-tv-10080

now before people get all up in arms - this is democracy, ok? it should be discussed. the DOT needs to repair a bridge - its not looking to draft your first born for a foreign war, so calm down, for starters. if someone wants to challenge it, fine, lets hear the argument.

in the video found in the link, i really doubt the 99% of those polled would CONTINUE to take an alternative route to avoid the toll, after the first few weeks of aggravating traffic.
Interesting how you’re all about making new tolls versus asking where the money is from vehicle registrations and tax revenue, especially since these tolls would increase the cost of goods, groceries, fuels, etc..., as the trucking companies are going to pass the costs from the tolls to the consumers....and don’t think that if tolls on these 9 bridges go through that it won’t spread to even more bridges. I’d wager the city of bridges would also try to adopt the idea.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:25 AM

5 posts, read 2,805 times
Why raised taxes? (Or were you just being sarcastic?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Excellent idea. Tax all bridges, and especially hit tractor trailers the hardest. It shouldn’t raise prices on groceries or goods at all. Combined with Wolf wanting to raise taxes, it’s the perfect plan.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:23 AM

408 posts, read 231,846 times
I feel toll’s are not the way to go. Honestly, we have infrastructure problems in our state of PA. I would be ok with a 2% to 3% increase in sales tax that can only be used to cover for the roads, bridges, and public transit.

I would like to find a good study on how much damage long term tractor trailers cause to roads and bridges since they started becoming the dominate way to transfer goods instead of trains and such.

Last edited by Higherho; 03-20-2021 at 10:36 AM..

Old 04-27-2021, 03:14 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Right now if there's an issue between them (which happens often. The westbound bridge is miserable, the approach comes down a hill and left curves into the bridge. Vehicles go off the road there regularly) and traffic gets diverted onto 322 through Brookville. That totally clogs up everything for hours. I can see the same thing happening just to avoid tolls..........
Yesterday on the I80 bridges over the Northfork in Brookville.

https://www.explorejeffersonpa.com/b...e-after-crash/

Old 04-27-2021, 06:55 AM

882 posts, read 335,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
its won't be popular with some. but the problem is the lack of revenue for long range planning of rehab projects for this bridge. how should they try to allocate funding for this so that they keep our infrastructure from looking like a City of Pittsburgh bridge? not a rhetorical question - where will this money come from? raise taxes?

LOL....you actually think you'll get an answer from that guy? He's not here for that...he's here to childishly lob **** against the wall and poison the well. He's afraid to actually state something he's for, or to actually provide a real opinion. He's only here to counter what others say. He's a sad knee jerk reactionary unoriginal hack that hides under the fake LOLs and smiles of pathetic sarcasm. Take a look at literally every single post he's made. You won't find an original idea. You won't find an earnest suggestion. You'll only find reactions. He can't think on his own, and he's afraid to put himself out there. Take note of the sarcastic, "Everything's great", "LOL" reply he's surely to make to to this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh