U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 07:42 PM

32,160 posts, read 74,110,808 times

Advertisements

Between COVID-19; my office being short-staffed; and my mother passing away, the past 6-9 months have really taken their toll on my mental health.

I am scheduled to be off work the last week of June. I have not yet made any plans.

I think I would just like to escape the city for at least a few days. The thought of turning off my phone and just hanging out in a small rural cabin enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of nature brings me comfort.

I am strongly considering looking for a place to stay in the Allegheny National Forest region---Kane, Emporium, Tionesta, St. Mary's, Bradford, Warren, Coudersport, Smethport, etc. We have stayed overnight before in Kane and have had a great time.

Other places I am considering are the Hocking Hills of Ohio and some part of WV I have not yet explored (Elkins? Davis? Thomas?)

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have any links to specific cabins they like to rent? I am looking for a small no-frills cabin with one bed, electric, and running water. Would prefer <$150/night, but it seems like cabin rentals have become very expensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 10:17 PM

6,635 posts, read 8,867,489 times
Sorry to hear about your mother. My condolences.

The state parks have cabins with no frills, though some don't have electric. I don't know specifically about that region, but you can see what's available here.

https://pennsylvaniastateparks.reser...com/welcome.do

Old 05-02-2021, 10:17 PM

3,412 posts, read 2,940,134 times
Moraine state park has cabins for rent, sorry dont have a link.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:10 AM

3,828 posts, read 1,350,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Between COVID-19; my office being short-staffed; and my mother passing away, the past 6-9 months have really taken their toll on my mental health.

I am scheduled to be off work the last week of June. I have not yet made any plans.

I think I would just like to escape the city for at least a few days. The thought of turning off my phone and just hanging out in a small rural cabin enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of nature brings me comfort.

I am strongly considering looking for a place to stay in the Allegheny National Forest region---Kane, Emporium, Tionesta, St. Mary's, Bradford, Warren, Coudersport, Smethport, etc. We have stayed overnight before in Kane and have had a great time.

Other places I am considering are the Hocking Hills of Ohio and some part of WV I have not yet explored (Elkins? Davis? Thomas?)

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have any links to specific cabins they like to rent? I am looking for a small no-frills cabin with one bed, electric, and running water. Would prefer <$150/night, but it seems like cabin rentals have become very expensive.
Sorry to hear about your mom. That is rough. I think your list is pretty good. I wanted to give you some other places to look, although I’m not sure of the cost of cabins.

1. Deep Creek Lake, MD area. Sleepy hollow campground, new Germany state park savage river state forest. One or more of those parks offer cabins. There are plenty of other rentals down there, but not sure if they are in your price range.

2. Alpine Lake Resort, Terra Alta, WV. This is close to deep creek, but in WV. Wooded resort, small lake, outdoors stuff.

3. Salt Fork Lake State Park, Cambridge OH. I camped here in a tent. They have cabins. This is apparently where the grassman (Bigfoot) was sighted.

4. Mohican State Park, eastern\central Ohio. This is a very nice park near Amish county. I think they have treehouses here.

5. Linn Run state park, Laurel highlands. Pa state park

6. Tomlinson Run State Park. They have 3 cabins to rent. WV state park between Chester and Weirton in the panhandle.

7. Raccoon Creek State Park

8. Parker Dam. North central pa

Those are my additions to your list. You should be able to find cabins there too. Let us know where you end up.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:06 AM

2,758 posts, read 1,625,682 times
May I suggest Mount Gretna, in Lebanon County?
Its absolutely beautiful - its home to the Pennsylvania Chautauqua. Its very rustic, and very Victorian.. but quite relaxing and comfortable. A beautiful ice cream shop, a few little cafes/restaurants, mini-golf, a lake for swimming, old-school roller skating rink..
There is hiking nearby at Governor Dick and a long rail trail for biking (Lebanon Valley Rail Trail).
Easy access to Harrisburg, Hershey, and northern Lancaster County (Lititz, Ephrata).

Its really the best of both worlds - serene and rural, but with close access to interesting cultural amenities.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:31 AM

751 posts, read 388,057 times
Lots of good suggestions. In your price range, probably the state parks are a best value. Shawnee SP near Bedford is really nice, but I have not stayed in the rentals. They have a lakeside lodge/cottage and yurts. We visited Stonewall SP Resort in WV last year for a two-night stay. It is located on a pretty large lake and they have boat and kayak rentals. It was quiet, beautiful, and well maintained. We stayed in the lodge and I think the rooms were ~$150/night. VERY easy to get to. About 10 minutes off the I-79 exit:

https://www.stonewallresort.com/

The nearby town of Weston, a former glassmaking hub had an interesting little museum related to the industry. Also, the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum gives a really excellent tour of the now-defunct state hospital. The in-depth tour (suggested) was absolutely enlightening. We headed east to Seneca Rocks and Blackwater Falls on the day we departed. Very unique rock pinnacles, reminiscent of what you see in the mountain west. Our next trip will include Thomas, Cass, and Davis. Just not enough time to see it all in a couple of days. At any rate, the WV state parks almost all provide pretty reliable lodging at fairly reasonable rates.

Last edited by Charley Barker; 05-03-2021 at 09:40 AM..

Old 05-03-2021, 05:14 PM

3,142 posts, read 1,902,575 times
Sorry about your mother. I was in the same boat a few months ago.

Davis/Thomas, WV is a spectacular area. Cool small town and a nice rail trail through town for bike riding. A great state park nearby too. Going into the woods always has a way of helping the healing process.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:57 AM

32,160 posts, read 74,110,808 times
Thank you all thus far for your suggestions! I greatly appreciate them. I will respond in greater length to each of you later today.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:06 AM

3,278 posts, read 3,580,151 times
Why not go back to Kane? For rest and relaxation - go back to the Allegheny National Forest!! Clean air & clean water & trees.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:29 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,752 posts, read 3,621,367 times
Anywhere near Cook Forest and the Clarion River is very nice and we usually stay near Clarington or Scotch Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh