Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 08:00 PM

1,170 posts, read 534,989 times

Advertisements

this is f*cking amazing

Americans with PhDs are the most reluctant to get vaccinated against COVID, study finds

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...udy-finds.html

- Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh researchers reported a U-shaped correlation between vaccine hesitancy and education level

- They concluded people with PhDs are not only the most skeptical about getting vaccinated but are also the least likely to change their minds about it

"People with a PhD are the most hesitant when it comes to getting the Covid-19 vaccine, according to a paper by researchers from Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh.

Researchers surveyed just over five million US adults in an online survey, with 10,000 reporting that they were educated to PhD level.

The report showed a surprising U-shaped correlation between willingness to get a Covid vaccine and education level - with the highest hesitancy among those least and most educated.

The researchers did not offer an explanation as to why so many people with PhDs were vaccine hesitant, and the paper noted that 'further investigation into hesitancy among those with a PhD is warranted'.

The report said: 'To our knowledge, no other study has evaluated education with this level of granularity, which was possible due to our unusually large sample (of over 10,000 participants with PhDs).'"

most of you are now saying - this is impossible - surely the smarter you are the more likely you are to get the covid vaccine

well, i have a 150+ IQ and an ivy league degree and there's no way i'm getting it - and now i know i'm not alone

maybe some of you are asking, what do the "least and most educated" have in common?

i'll tell you - they both have the ability to say THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES

the least educated will tell you that because they just call things like they see them, no filter

and the most educated will tell you that because they know they're smart and aren't afraid to challenge authority and if necessary can present a detailed argument to back up their claim

it's those people in the middle, or in this case the bottom of the curve (most of the people who post here) who say WHAT LOVELY CLOTHES YOU'RE WEARING EMPEROR, HOW MANY COVID SHOTS SHOULD I TAKE, SIR?

Last edited by BUILD PENN SQUARE; 08-14-2021 at 08:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 07:00 AM

807 posts, read 616,779 times
So over 75% of self described “doctorates” have no vaccine hesitancy? Sounds pretty good to me. You’ll note in the actual study that the researchers were relying on “good faith” regarding the accuracy of the demographic data, that much of the demo data was left incomplete, and that some folks used the demo data section to make political statements (ie, anti trans statements). So, I’m wondering how many of these phds went to the university of “********* COVID vaccine?” And of course the phds conducting study had the ultimate goal of convincing more people to get the vaccine.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:10 AM

1,910 posts, read 735,878 times
If it were last year's variants and you're young, I can understand erring on the side of caution. But Delta variant is a whole new risk level for even teenagers.

A lot of you have probably painted yourself into corners with family and friends with your rhetoric. You're risking their lives too now.

If 1 person in your unvaccinated family brings Delta home, you will all catch it. Many families are so sick they are unable to take care of eachother. They call 911 for the sickest ones as they are unattended at home.

My unvaccinated 14 year old grand nephew had to use a container by the bed to pee because he was too weak to get out of bed for a week. His Dad discovered this need when he found his son peeing off the side of the bed. The boy's weakness trumped his humiliation.

It's not the same danger as last year when it was mostly people over age 60 who were at risk of serious sickness. The conditions on the ground have changed.

Last edited by Reggiezz; 08-15-2021 at 07:45 AM..

Old 08-15-2021, 07:13 AM

1,170 posts, read 534,989 times
link to the study

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...795v1.full.pdf

12 Abstract
13 Word count: 180
14 Objective: To understand COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy.
15 Methods: January 6 through May 31, 2021, 5,121,436 US adults completed an online COVID-19
16 survey. Weighted data was used to evaluate change in vaccine intent and correlates of May
17 vaccine hesitancy

CMU link to study

https://www.cmu.edu/dietrich/news/ne...hesitancy.html

"The largest decrease in hesitancy between January and May by education group was in those with a high school education or less. Hesitancy held constant in the most educated group (those with a PhD); by May PhD’s were the most hesitant group."

UPMC link to study

https://www.upmc.com/media/news/0726...cine-hesitancy

Last edited by BUILD PENN SQUARE; 08-15-2021 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 09:08 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,690,742 times
Perhaps congress/senate need to pass a law eliminating the legal protection the vaccine makers enjoy. Only when people can hold them liable for injuries or death perhaps more will accept the risk and get the shot. Until then forget about it.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:30 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,363 times
The results of this study are really not that surprising given that the majority of PhDs are in non-science areas. Also, it appears that those with an MD or DO degree were classified as "professionally" educated and among the least hesitant to get the vaccine.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:42 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
So some highly educated people make foolish decisions contrary to science. That’s a given, although I will admit that the results did surprise me.

It would be more interesting to have these post-secondary education tiers broken down by field of study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUILD PENN SQUARE View Post
well, i have a 150+ IQ and an ivy league degree and there's no way i'm getting it - and now i know i'm not alone
You don’t say.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:03 PM

432 posts, read 359,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
It would be more interesting to have these post-secondary education tiers broken down by field of study.

I thought that too. On this topic, I'm considerably more interested in the opinion of a molecular biology PhD, for example, than in that of a sociology or history or business or law advanced degree holder.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:32 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,465,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Perhaps congress/senate need to pass a law eliminating the legal protection the vaccine makers enjoy. Only when people can hold them liable for injuries or death perhaps more will accept the risk and get the shot. Until then forget about it.
Should we test the vaccines for a few more years before letting people have them? 900 have died from the vaccines vs. 630,000 without them.

Old 08-16-2021, 03:00 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
So some highly educated people make foolish decisions contrary to science. That’s a given, although I will admit that the results did surprise me.

You don’t say.
Why do you say foolish? I did get the vaccine knowing full well there could be issues in my future. Why are some so intolerant to other people’s opinions? Science evolves. What we think is right today, could be in the history books decades from now. Foolish? Time will tell. Stop being so confident. Scientists are wrong plenty of times. We took a leap of faith. Nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh