Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 06:37 AM

220 posts, read 146,533 times

Advertisements

New Kensington is a little bit larger (3.95 sq. mil.) formerly thriving industrial city in northwestern Westmoreland County along the Allegheny River 18-22 miles northeast of downtown Pittsburgh. It is surrounded by the other of the "tri-cities" of the area, Arnold and Lower Burrell. It is located across the Allegheny County line, from Plum (across Pucketa Creek) to the south and East Deer/Tarentum to the west across the river.

Like much of this region along the river, the region was a hunting ground for Native Americans. European-American settlement began in the mid-1700s. Continental army troops built Fort Crawford, near the mouth of Pucketa Creek, from 1777-1793. The city began as a village named Kensington as part of the now defunct Burrell Township, which took up the whole area at the time. It was initially founded in 1891, and its name was later changed "New Kensington" for postal reasons, to avoid confusion with the Philadelphia neighborhood of the same name. The city was then laid out similar to Pittsburgh, with the streets were named with numbers. Avenues ran parallel to the river, while streets were perpendicular. The main commercial streets were 4th and 5th avenues. Several industrial companies sought to make New Kensington home due to its ideal location along the river in the later 19th and earlier 20th Centuries, with the most famous being Alcoa. The city began to prosper due to industrial activity thriving. Several businesses began to line the main street including shopping venues, opera houses, a hotel, and a local chapter of the YMCA. Its population continued to grow to reach a peak of 25,000 in the 1950 U.S. Census.

Like many formerly thriving industrial cities, New Kensington has fallen on hard times, peaking in the 1970's/80's. Its population has gradually fallen over the years, down to just over 12,000 as of the 2020 U.S. Census. The city has dealt with issues of deteriorating housing, high vacancy rates, abandoned factories, boarded-up businesses along its main street, and violence/crime rate rising over time in the inner city portion. There is a section within the city limits across the Tarentum Bridge and near the neighboring city of Lower Burrell, where there are some post-war suburban homes along with a decent size business district on route 366 that appears to be doing just fine. There is however some recent revitalization attempts for the city and general area, such as a new air filter maker plant in neighboring industrial Arnold and a new Iron City Beer brewery across the river in Creighton. Hopefully, these endeavors can help New Kensington and its surrounding areas see the life it once had a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 08:04 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
I wish the area well, but not at the cost of encouraging people to drink Iron City.

Old 08-23-2021, 09:00 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
There's a lot of good going on in New Kensington lately. This is really inspiring:

https://triblive.com/local/valley-ne...siness-owners/

Old 08-23-2021, 10:35 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
Had no idea Iron City was brewing again close to Pittsburgh. On a side note, what is going on with their former headquarters in Lawrenceville?

Old 08-23-2021, 12:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
When I was a kid New Ken was thriving. I have been hearing it is making a comeback. Lower Burrell does well. I think New Ken will move in a good direction.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:07 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
I have been hearing a lot about New Ken from investors and rehabbers. It has a very walkable downtown and was at one point a huge deal. The bones are there. I think some are taking notice. There are a lot of shopping options in that area already and House of 1000's Beers is there. I have a feeling this area is going to do pretty well. Sure they have a black crime issue, but if money starts flowing, they can hire more aggressive police to control that as the shift will take place at some point.

Here is a company moving in. I will be trying this place for sure!!

https://triblive.com/local/valley-ne...ew-kensington/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh