U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 01:46 PM

6,647 posts, read 8,886,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Unlike the other Western PA state colleges, IUP had fairly robust enrollment numbers, second in the state only to West Chester.
That's good for them but it doesn't solve my problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 01:46 PM

14,086 posts, read 15,528,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
What was the criteria for this - was it enrollment?

I took a look at the numbers in Wikipedia and the Western PA 3 all were similar in numbers (between 5-6K)

It has IUP and Slippery Rock close in enrollment just under 10K (so a little lower than your number, but I don't know how current Wikipedia may be).
Yes, the criteria was enrollment. The state decided to merge together three historic state colleges in western PA and Northeast PA.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:03 PM

41,668 posts, read 54,296,541 times
Quote:
Yes, the criteria was enrollment. The state decided to merge together three historic state colleges in western PA and Northeast PA.
A lot of it was that all three (as well as the ones in the central and eastern parts of the state) have been losing enrollment for the last several years.

In Clarion's case, I don't know about the others, there were also debt service issues with the expansion of services/buildings and the construction of new campus (although some is off campus) housing. That was necessitated, to an extent, by the contraction of the number of private landlords renting to students. They were replaced by voucher holders from elsewhere.

You also have in Clarion the loss off the largest non-College employer ten years ago which slammed the tax base (and employment numbers) and, referring to the last paragraph, the College eminent domaining a lot of property for expansion.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:15 PM

14,086 posts, read 15,528,984 times
I have to say I really don't think the logic of "one school, three campuses" will make sense in the longer run.

Over time, one of the campuses will attract programs, and thus students, and the others will wither. My guess is Edinboro will win out - though I think Clarion is a much nicer town with better bones for becoming a lively college town like Indiana.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:20 PM

611 posts, read 299,712 times
Quote:
I have to say I really don't think the logic of "one school, three campuses" will make sense in the longer run.

Over time, one of the campuses will attract programs, and thus students, and the others will wither. My guess is Edinboro will win out - though I think Clarion is a much nicer town with better bones for becoming a lively college town like Indiana.

Edinboro has the benefit of being not too far from 79... not far from Erie and certainly not too distant to attract from Pittsburgh.

Clarion is more remote and well, California...

Old 10-15-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:

What they'll likely end up doing is what Maryland does, have X program at only one with the others banned from offering it. They'll balance those out so no one school is more attractive (which doesn't work here, but oh well). Maryland also has to balance the programs at the HBCUs, which was the focus of a lawsuit that was just settled a couple years ago. The HBCUs sued the MD Higher Education Commission because it was allowing non-HBCUs to offer courses that would attract minority students, hurting HBCU enrollment.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Edinboro has the benefit of being not too far from 79... not far from Erie and certainly not too distant to attract from Pittsburgh.

Clarion is more remote and well, California...
More remote a mile away with three different exits off I80.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:28 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,387,954 times
I blame the Pennsylvania State University and to a lesser extent the University of Pittsburgh for the problems with the state colleges (I'm using the old term before they became "universities.")

Penn State in particular was allowed to establish "branch campuses" at numerous locations, which drew in students who might otherwise have gone to the state colleges. Why would you want to attend a not so prestigious state college when you could matriculate at Penn State?

https://www.psu.edu/academics/campuses/

Old 10-15-2021, 04:38 PM

6,647 posts, read 8,886,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I blame the Pennsylvania State University and to a lesser extent the University of Pittsburgh for the problems with the state colleges (I'm using the old term before they became "universities.")

Penn State in particular was allowed to establish "branch campuses" at numerous locations, which drew in students who might otherwise have gone to the state colleges. Why would you want to attend a not so prestigious state college when you could matriculate at Penn State?

I'm sure you're right, but on the whole I think it's a good thing as it gives more kids a better option.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

Maybe, but I don't think that much. Remember that after the Baby Boom aged the next generation, Gen X, was way lower in numbers, so a decrease in enrollment should have been expected (their becoming the age to go to college also coincided with the beginnings of "College For All).

Then you had a sea change more recently where it seemed that parents wouldn't accept Biff and Becky going to just a "state school" but they had to go to a Top 10/15/20/whatever school and then the competitive parenting started with 3 year olds playing club football while their 4 year old sisters were on the Cheer Team.

Plus college has come to be seen as not "Learning and being able to take that ability into your future" but a trade school that teaches discrete job skills. Colleges didn't help themselves when they went on student recruiting visits and the reps said, "College graduates on average earn however much lifetime earnings over a high graduate." Kids didn't hear that but heard "We guarantee you a high paying job when you graduate from our school". I saw that happen year after year when I taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh