Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:12 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times

Advertisements

I also agree about Highland Park ... it is a fine residential neighborhood and in fact reasonably popular with grad students and professors.

But I would also recommend you take a look at my neighborhood, Regent Square. It is a very safe and pleasant neighborhood, next to Frick Park and with a small but very nice "downtown" area of shops and restaurants. The 61A and 61B provide regular and quick bus service to CMU, and it is a bit more affordable than Squirrel Hill, and therefore popular with grad students looking to save a little on rent. It also is one of the neighborhoods in Pittsburgh you will find quite a few other gay and lesbian couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 09:23 AM

10 posts, read 25,503 times
Agree with Highland Park. Not unsafe. Geeezz ... I hate how much of this goes on here. Also, I have to emphatically agree with the posters about Shadyside/Squirrel Hill. My girlfriend and I are looking in the same area and price range. You can find ALOT of places fitting that criteria. DO look for private owners as opposed to the big companies. Alot better to work with, more responsive, and, also, alot less "in your business". As for being gay friendly, you wouldn't find and problems in Squirrel Hill. So the only thing I'm thinking now is ...... NEIGHBORS ? Hope to see you there !!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 AM

5 posts, read 18,582 times
Thanks very much for everyone's quick reply, it helps us out a lot! We are planning a trip out in the next couple of weeks to scope everything out for ourselves.

Does anyone know of any good private owners off hand? In the meantime we'll be checking craigslist as well, though it has been unreliable for other stuff... anyone had good luck with the apt. rental section?

I also think we would be interested in Regent Square if anyone has some more info, subdivisions I think you had mentioned something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Gershon View Post
As for being gay friendly, you wouldn't find and problems in Squirrel Hill. So the only thing I'm thinking now is ...... NEIGHBORS ? Hope to see you there !!!!
That would be great! We're coming from a SUPER conservative part of MI that is absolutely no fun at all

Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-19-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandAmyMI View Post
I also think we would be interested in Regent Square if anyone has some more info, subdivisions I think you had mentioned something?
You may be looking for a second opinion (which is fine), but I'd be happy to answer any questions about Regent Square. Also, here are a few links related to Regent Square (the civic association website, a feature article, and a photo tour) that may be helpful:

Regent Square Civic Association Site Home Page
Pop City - Circling Regent Square
Pittsburgh Neighborhood Tours: Regent Square - SkyscraperPage Forum

Also, I'm not sure if you have seen this, but I have found this to be a roughly accurate description of the neighborhoods where CMU people tend to live:

Carnegie Mellon Community Housing

Note though the rents come from the Census Bureau, and may not reflect what CMU students are actually paying.

Edit: Oh, and I keep forgetting to mention that I am originally from Michigan (northern suburbs of Detroit). Pittsburgh/Western PA are interestingly different from Detroit/Michigan, despite sharing some "rust belt" characteristics in common.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:01 AM

9 posts, read 49,986 times
I own several buildings in good Shadyside locations, all safe, 1-2 BR apts., all in the $600-750 range. Don't give up. As a lesbian couple Shadyside is probably the most progressive of the neighborhoods you're considering, although the others are OK in that regard as well. The South Side is also good but I'm not familiar with the rents there.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:16 PM

Wonderful! May I have your contact info or any other information about places you rent out? Side note, I have two cats but they are VERY well behaved, not just saying that-promise!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:11 PM

Okay, we've found a couple of places that look like they might be what we're looking for. Anyone have any opinions/advice on Mt. Lebanon or Point Breeze areas? I know they're a bit further from the schools.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandAmyMI View Post
Okay, we've found a couple of places that look like they might be what we're looking for. Anyone have any opinions/advice on Mt. Lebanon or Point Breeze areas? I know they're a bit further from the schools.
Point Breeze is actually very close to CMU, since it is right next to Squirrel Hill. Point Breeze is quite nice--most of it pretty much resembles the residential areas of Squirrel Hill, it has a little commerical section (including one of my favorite restaurants, the Point Brugge Cafe, a Belgian-style place), and some of Point Breeze has easy access to Frick Park.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:45 AM

85 posts, read 286,625 times
Ditto Point breeze. Also look at Greenfield which is next to Oakland, Friendship, and Bloomfield. They are not as toney as Suirrel Hill or Shadyside but anything in that area is pretty gay friendly.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,831 times
Brian TH - Are there many graduate students or university affiliated people living in Regent's Square? How easy is it to commute to the PITT campus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh