Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2021, 08:50 AM

1,903 posts, read 716,797 times

Advertisements

I watched travel videos all last winter on YouTube, trapped by the Wuhan virus. It was fun. You can travel the world, visit the Tower of London, drive the high mountain roads in Austria, get a driver's eye view of the Alps by train in Switzerland. You can even climb Mt Everest.

I've traveled to Europe and have seen the cities. I doubt the poster I responded to leaves his house except to go to Giant Eagle, which is why I suggested YouTube. To see them on YouTube, simply do a search, something like, "walking Paris" or"walking London" or any city or town. Even 2nd tier cities are much better than American ones because they're truly maintained and improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 09:06 AM

You can travel from anywhere on the Eurasian continent to anywhere else on that continent by train. Most of the trains are nice, although the further east you go, my personal experience ends. I was planning on taking the Transsiberian train from Moscow to Vladivostok as a vacation when I got diagnosed with cancer, so that ended that.

This coming summer, we're going to spend a month or so visiting the western volcanoes in WA and OR. It will be my first big trip in 5 years. I got the itch to see these because of my YouTube adventures last winter, though I've wanted to go to Mt St Helens for 40 years. Now I have the time.

Old 12-07-2021, 09:30 AM

There seem to be people out there whose only job is walking around cities of interest with cameras on a stick. Can they really make a living via YouTube? A guy with the YouTube name Relaxed Walker has done amazing videos of Israel, including the old city of Jerusalem.

Maybe some of the basement dwellers here can ask their moms to buy them a camera so they can make some money. You can wear a mask.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:53 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
There's reputable news on YouTube of course. The problem is that (much like Facebook) the recs suggest whatever ends up fitting your "interests." So if you watch a couple of videos with dodgy "infotainment" of a certain sort, it will start suggesting things that other users who also watched/like the video watched. Thus it just keeps you ensconced in your "bubble" no matter what it happens to be.

A couple times, YouTube has suggested things outside of my wheelhouse. Like, I watch a lot of movie reviews/media criticism, but it's easy to have that drift to a bunch of people complaining about too many women in movies (or whatever). More recently, due to my interest in philosophy, I watched a YouTube video from an atheist, and ended up getting a lot of anti-religion content. I'm not religious myself, but I don't have any interest in watching people dunk on the Creation Museum in Kentucky or point out biblical inconsistencies. That's high school ****.

Old 12-07-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's reputable news on YouTube of course. The problem is that (much like Facebook) the recs suggest whatever ends up fitting your "interests." So if you watch a couple of videos with dodgy "infotainment" of a certain sort, it will start suggesting things that other users who also watched/like the video watched. Thus it just keeps you ensconced in your "bubble" no matter what it happens to be.

A couple times, YouTube has suggested things outside of my wheelhouse. Like, I watch a lot of movie reviews/media criticism, but it's easy to have that drift to a bunch of people complaining about too many women in movies (or whatever). More recently, due to my interest in philosophy, I watched a YouTube video from an atheist, and ended up getting a lot of anti-religion content. I'm not religious myself, but I don't have any interest in watching people dunk on the Creation Museum in Kentucky or point out biblical inconsistencies. That's high school ****.
Only morons watch news on tv, including youtube. It's ALL propaganda.

You're right about suggested videos. My suggestions lately all involve travel to Europe and Asia, volcanoes, and elephants. I watched the Iceland volcano for months in the spring and summer. Then I got interested in elephants and the La Palma volcano.

Old 12-07-2021, 12:44 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Only morons watch news on tv, including youtube. It's ALL propaganda.

You're right about suggested videos. My suggestions lately all involve travel to Europe and Asia, volcanoes, and elephants.
A huge problem is folks get so scared watching it, believe everything is true, etc, and can’t think for themselves.

Notice how there’s so much “fact checking” these days, lol.

Old 12-07-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
A huge problem is folks get so scared watching it, believe everything is true, etc, and can’t think for themselves.

Notice how there’s so much “fact checking” these days, lol.
My niece texted me awhile back complaining of the ridiculous reporting on tv news. She asked me what I was watching. I told her, the Cumbre Vieja volcano eruption. It's real and no one has to interpret it.

Old 12-07-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
My niece texted me awhile back complaining of the ridiculous reporting on tv news. She asked me what I was watching. I told her, the Cumbre Vieja volcano eruption. It's real and no one has to interpret it.
I used to feel sorry for folks that lived in front of the tv watching the news all day and believing everything they’re told, but they’re so ridiculous with the nonsense they believe, I say let them live in fear.

Old 12-07-2021, 07:37 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,661,541 times
https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...t?oid=16941415

Old 12-07-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Looks scary. Better stay inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh