Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 02:57 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bevis View Post
That is 10 jobs and 10,000 people competing for those 10 jobs.
And maybe nine who qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 07:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
And maybe nine who qualify.
Not in this economy. There are probably 900 who qualify, and are currently out of work.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 AM

38 posts, read 80,136 times
tl;dr - based on the (admittedly unprofessional) research i've done, there are a few noteworthy things about population decline in pittsburgh

1) as of 2010, it appears to have actually stopped (slight gain in 2010)
2) this is unsurprising because since its worst point in the 80s, population loss has been asympotically declining leading up to 2010
3) at this point, much of it is likely attributable to death. pittsburgh has a gigantic population of senior citizens and every one of them who dies counts as a person lost. if they are dying at a relatively constant rate (don't know if they are) and the population decline is slowing, that means the city is getting younger
4) related to (3) - this is purely anecdotal evidence, but my personal experience has given me the impression that the city really is getting younger, with more postgraduates staying (hell, it's not like there are jobs elsewhere to leave for anymore) and city neighborhoods becoming more commercially active

in the interest of full disclosure i say this as a 27 year old grad student living in larryville

Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 AM

38 posts, read 80,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
Unfortunately, I am stuck here because of family issues - Very stuck. I don't know what is going on here but I instinctively believe that the hidden job market is an insidious problem here.

All I see are low-level retail jobs and higher level tech and management jobs. The rest are in the medical field and the cottage industry jobs that feed off the medical field such as medical billing companies. Where on earth are the entry to mid level operations/office jobs anymore? What is going on? Are they all getting filled by internal referrals? One large steel Co. typically posts jobs publicly that explicitly restrict applicants to internal employees. That must be one inbred steel company by now. I think it is digusting but at least they are being candid unlike most others.

Someone mentioned that they do appreciate the skyline but have reservations about the city. Well, speaking of skylines, I find it pathetic that the largest health system in the area smacked a big #$@ sign atop the tallest building in downtown Pittsburgh. Obviously, said large employer is oblivious to how this reflects on the city or they just don't give a darn. Knowing them, I tend to believe the latter. I think that says something very sad about this area. Where is the industry? This town has lost too many headquarter operations. All this is part of a composite of reasons why young people leave and why I would if I could.
welcome to the 21st century american economy. nice of you to join us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh