U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:34 PM

136 posts, read 33,694 times
Default North Hills vs. South Hills

I am not trying to start a feud or argument here...just wanted to see what others thought.

In Cleveland, there's the battle of East Side versus West Side. I'm not talking gun battle or something violent or some hatred toward residents of the other parts. More about how residents of each side view their neighborhoods in relation to the other sides. I was just wondering if this is sorta happening here in Pittsburgh of North Hills versus South Hills.

It seems that South Hills were the original "upscale" suburbs and now North Hills are starting to take the crown of being close to the city with newer homes and shopping/restaurant developments, and equally if-not-some better school districts. I'm not saying that one hills thinks they're better than another hills, either. I know there's equally nice city neighborhoods but I'm more referring to the suburbs for this one.

It's interesting to watch people vouch for North or South Hills on some of the "Where should I live?" posts.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 02:55 PM

416 posts, read 922,590 times
I'll bite.

I think the South Hill is much nicer

Of course I grew up here and wouldn't move north if you gave me a house!

We have better weather here in the south too

Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,325,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghcleak View Post
I am not trying to start a feud or argument here...just wanted to see what others thought.

In Cleveland, there's the battle of East Side versus West Side. I'm not talking gun battle or something violent or some hatred toward residents of the other parts. More about how residents of each side view their neighborhoods in relation to the other sides. I was just wondering if this is sorta happening here in Pittsburgh of North Hills versus South Hills.

It seems that South Hills were the original "upscale" suburbs and now North Hills are starting to take the crown of being close to the city with newer homes and shopping/restaurant developments, and equally if-not-some better school districts. I'm not saying that one hills thinks they're better than another hills, either. I know there's equally nice city neighborhoods but I'm more referring to the suburbs for this one.

It's interesting to watch people vouch for North or South Hills on some of the "Where should I live?" posts.

What do you all think?

South Hills = Old money
North Hills = New money

Old 05-20-2008, 04:04 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,351,461 times
I spent the 80's and half of the 90's in Scott, Greentree, Mt. Lebanon, and finally bought a place in Dormont. I liked it out there, especially the time in Dormont and Mt. Lebo cuz you could walk to a lot of places. I was right near the T, which is a GREAT system, PAT finally got something right. But the fact that I was self employed meant I didn't have to deal with traffic. Getting to the Downtown area via car is a PITA. I always say that you can't go more than 1/2 mile in the South before you hit a stop sign or traffic light.

Moved to Ross in mid 90's, now live in McCandless. Definitely more suburban feel, have to drive to get a paper. But I do enjoy a 2 acre treed lot, something hard to find in the South reasonably priced.

I think it all depends on what you like. But my next move is further North, the taxes are killin' me.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:28 PM

269 posts, read 702,578 times
This fued has been going on for years. The gangs of Mt Lebanon and the gangs of the North Hills have been fighting for years.

Actually, I would agree that the North Hills has newer homes and more people moving there so they can get to town quicker.

HOWEVER, the South Hills has a lot to offer. There is really no reason to leave the South Hills except to go to town. Sure everything is old, but they have great restaurants and the houses have a lot of character.

To each his own.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:37 PM

7,374 posts, read 10,087,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I'll bite.

I think the South Hill is much nicer

Of course I grew up here and wouldn't move north if you gave me a house!

We have better weather here in the south too
Not to mention Sweet tea... or is that a little further south?

In my opinion? I think it's more the fact that Pittsburgh is a little harder to get around and that people stay closer to the old neighborhoods. I was raised in Cranberry and my sister when she married and moved was in Bellevue, then Emsworth and now Ben Avon. But, being more North -- that means she's close to Mom in Cranberry. Her ex (now late) hubby was raised in the North Hills and after their breakup he stayed in the North Hills. Her son's in the North Hills. His girlfriend's from ... well -- you get it.

My other sister couldn't WAIT to get out of PA -- she now lives in Maryland.

But honestly with the "mallization" of America -- there's not a lot of difference any where. Every where you go there's a Target and Walmart and Lowe's and Home Depot and dear Lord they all look alike and they're all set up the same and all the people shopping there have that dead behind the eyes look.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:58 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,914,052 times
They are both pretty nice... the main difference from my viewpoint is the north has much less traffic problems getting into downtown or oakland during rush hour.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:41 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,570,405 times
I don't live in ither the North Hills or South Hills, so I'm pretty objective. Both are nice areas, with the North Hills being a newer area. When I-279 opened in the 80s, it opened the floodgates to development out there, so houses are on larger lots and it's more spread out. The South Hills started developmet much earlier with the opening of the transit tunnel for trolleys in 1902 that spurred development in Knoxville, Beltzhoover, Allentown, and what are now in-city neighborhoods. The opening of the Liberty Tunnels in the 1920s spurred development in Dormont and Mt. Lebanon, so those areas have a lot of great 1920s architecture.

It all depends on your personal preference. Shopping-wise, they both have the same options, with the South Hills having more neighborhood shopping districts in addition to big box strip malls, like the North Hills.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:19 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,215,329 times
I'm not sure there is a specific North Hills versus South Hills rivalry. Indeed, I think roughly as often you will find people cross-shopping some towns in the South Hills and some neighborhoods in the East End, which makes sense because many of the neighborhoods in the East End were once "streetcar suburbs," as were the older towns in the South Hills.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:47 AM

299 posts, read 654,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'm not sure there is a specific North Hills versus South Hills rivalry.
I've found that the "rivalry" exists within those that have lived in both places. I've seen it moreso in those that have lived in the South Hills, then moved to (and absolutely favor) the North Hills. Folks seem to think that traffic patterns and highway access are better in the North Hills. That's been my experience, at least.

I live in (and have practically never left!) the South Hills, and I groan and moan every time I have some kind of event or obligation in the North Hills. It's more of the attitude that Pittsburghers are fabled to have about crossing rivers or going through tunnels, ie we don't like to do it! Of course, I cross a bridge to get into the city every day to work, but the North Hills is just sooo far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh