Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 07:48 AM

37 posts, read 104,427 times

Advertisements

I grew up on Stranmore St in the California-Kirkbride neighborhood. I have been following the my street over the years via Zillow and tax records. It appeared the whole street was destined to become part of the “urban prarie” in this sadly blighted area. Lo and beholdvtoday, i see a listing on Zillow for a remodeled home on my childhood street listing for $225K. Whats going on? Is this are finally getting some love? I am still a North Side Pittsburgh girl at heart living in Florida.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1306-St...11375441_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2022, 08:24 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyintpa View Post
I grew up on Stranmore St in the California-Kirkbride neighborhood. I have been following the my street over the years via Zillow and tax records. It appeared the whole street was destined to become part of the “urban prarie” in this sadly blighted area. Lo and beholdvtoday, i see a listing on Zillow for a remodeled home on my childhood street listing for $225K. Whats going on? Is this are finally getting some love? I am still a North Side Pittsburgh girl at heart living in Florida.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/1306-St...11375441_zpid/
There is a tiny bit of gentrification in California-Kirkbride these days, but I was under the impression it was happening further south, around Brighton Place.

That home is already under contract, so I guess somebody wanted it. It's fugly as hell outside, so I'm not sure I'd pay that much for it, but even northern Manchester is getting expensive these days unless it's a gut rehab so...

Old 03-11-2022, 12:08 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,099,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There is a tiny bit of gentrification in California-Kirkbride these days, but I was under the impression it was happening further south, around Brighton Place.

That home is already under contract, so I guess somebody wanted it. It's fugly as hell outside, so I'm not sure I'd pay that much for it, but even northern Manchester is getting expensive these days unless it's a gut rehab so...
There's new construction going up at the below location, I just saw this the other day and it took me by surprise. This may be what OP is referring to. I have no idea what it will be but my guess is housing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4597...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-11-2022, 12:40 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
There's new construction going up at the below location, I just saw this the other day and it took me by surprise. This may be what OP is referring to. I have no idea what it will be but my guess is housing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4597...7i16384!8i8192
That's housing. It's an affordable project being funded by the URA. I can't remember at the moment if it's 100% affordable or mixed income - it's been a long time since it was initially reviewed.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:43 PM

1,118 posts, read 515,908 times
lol, you’re poor. Had a damn near 100 year old house in Squirrel Hill sell for $800K recently. That’s what it takes. And that’s butt wipe money to these 23 year old techies working in bakery square and getting comp packages deep into the 6 figures between salary, bonus & RSU. GFY.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:48 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
I live just north of here in Marshall-Shadeland. I was told to buy a bullet-proof vest prior to purchasing our home here in March 2020. My neighbors also warned me "we're in the hood" when they saw me making myself a potential target by doing some outdoor decorating and spiffing up our limited curb appeal.

Two years later? Nothing significantly bad has happened. We have had two packages stolen, but packages thefts even happen in the East End Center of the Universe. My biggest gripe with this neighborhood is the litter. No matter how much I clean it the areas surrounding our home are encased in garbage again within days; it is almost like the trashier (pun intended) residents of the neighborhood intentionally litter to try to keep property values down. Nevertheless some homes here have sold for north of $200,000 recently, and I believe one home on Dickson Street that sold last year had multiple offers.

I LOVE the nature here. We see deer frequently. Additionally we have begun to feed and befriend the neighborhood squirrels. We are bird watchers and have hawks, blue jays, woodpeckers, crows, Starlings, finches, sparrows, doves, pigeons, juncos, cardinals, robins, song sparrows, chickadees, and titmice who regularly visit our feeders.

I foresee good things in the long run for Marshall-Shadeland, Woods Run, California-Kirkbride, and Calbride Place. Upper Manchester too, especially when the Esplanade gets built in 20 years.

Old 03-12-2022, 05:28 AM

716 posts, read 764,956 times
I just looked at the listing. It's got that classic Pittsburgh house flipping vibe. Remove any of the charming details that may have existed from the outside, cover it up in cheap vinyl siding, and most importantly, for the classic aesthetic, install the cheapest and most inappropriately-sized windows you can find! Bonus points if the sizes are all mismatched.

Old 03-12-2022, 05:44 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
I just looked at the listing. It's got that classic Pittsburgh house flipping vibe. Remove any of the charming details that may have existed from the outside, cover it up in cheap vinyl siding, and most importantly, for the classic aesthetic, install the cheapest and most inappropriately-sized windows you can find! Bonus points if the sizes are all mismatched.
Meh. I don't hate the home overall, but the exterior is FUGLY.

Old 03-13-2022, 01:14 PM

716 posts, read 764,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Meh. I don't hate the home overall, but the exterior is FUGLY.
Oh yeah agreed. My post was not meant to be a compliment.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:16 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,690,742 times
I love Marshall-Shadeland area. Some amazing old homes there. I have a friend on Termon Ave. Is that in the area? Anyway, love their home as well. Good potential here. But anything is going for over $200k these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh