Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 07:27 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
He wasnt inaugurated until January. By February and March, the snow removal had NOTICEABLY improved. He needed time to implement his teams and systems.

What kind of wacky wonderland are we living in when I'm the only one in the thread so far giving kudos to Gainey???
Nope, February and March were the worst and so were the roads. I'm willing to give him a pass though as he had just come on board. Hoping next winter will be better. I will say the last decent storm was handled better. I live in the city and commute to the South Hills, do not WFH and my employer doesn't care what the conditions are. Banksville was a train wreck for all of the snowfalls in February and March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2022, 07:54 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Nope, February and March were the worst and so were the roads. I'm willing to give him a pass though as he had just come on board. Hoping next winter will be better. I will say the last decent storm was handled better. I live in the city and commute to the South Hills, do not WFH and my employer doesn't care what the conditions are. Banksville was a train wreck for all of the snowfalls in February and March.
South of the Mon always seems to be a train wreck for city snow removal. I drive to the Hill District daily, and I noticed a definite improvement there, as the winter went on.
Where I saw - Gainey did better. But I'll defer to you and if you say it was the same getting to the South Hills, I'll believe you as I dont go there.

Old 04-08-2022, 06:33 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
I will step up and do it since the others have a loose relationship with facts.

He was accepted into CMU in 1983 and transferred to Penn State a year later. Put his degree on hold and completed at Penn State main and he got his masters at Pitt.

So much for being a dummy. Interestingly the folks that talk up the universities are talking out of the other side of their mouth. Like Peduto or not he obviously has intelligence. Most likely exceeding most of the posters on this thread including myself. I could not get into CMU.

https://pittsburghquarterly.com/arti...s-bill-peduto/
My test scores would have been good enough for CMU circa. the late aughts. My grades, not so much. I was also a soft liberal arts major, so CMU would have been the wrong choice for me regardless. If I had CMU-level credentials, I probably would have gone to Johns Hopkins or Northwestern.

Hail to Pitt, the greatest safety school this side of Punxsutawney. I say that with love and affection. Ending up there for undergrad was by far the best thing that could have happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
truth is, we went to school together, I was a year before him and he a week younger than me. he was in tepper undergrad biz, I was in college of engineering. but my SATs were higher. ask him.

you were saying something about relationships with facts?
CMU was also less selective in 1983. Just about all colleges and universities were. Not that getting into CMU back then was easy.

Tell us, though, what was your SAT score? Not that I think Pedro is an unparalleled genius, but he seems to have a reasonable amount of raw intelligence, irrespective of his political accomplishments, which struck me as middling overall (one can do far worse as a mayor of a Northeastern city). My biggest criticism of him is his choice in facial hair. That beard is not a good look. Maybe if he dyed it it would be better.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:16 AM

10,842 posts, read 4,521,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

CMU was also less selective in 1983. Just about all colleges and universities were. Not that getting into CMU back then was easy.

Tell us, though, what was your SAT score? Not that I think Pedro is an unparalleled genius, but he seems to have a reasonable amount of raw intelligence, irrespective of his political accomplishments, which struck me as middling overall (one can do far worse as a mayor of a Northeastern city). My biggest criticism of him is his choice in facial hair. That beard is not a good look. Maybe if he dyed it it would be better.

I had thot I wanted to be an EE back then, I applied to 3 schools only - CMU, CWRU and MIT. Got into all 3 but we lived in irwin at the time, CMU was choice, closer to home and far far less crime (a coed undergrad was attacked and raped the night we arrived at CWRU for an organized tour, by someone that climbed the wall - literally) In the end I only have an EE minor, I did a dual CS program CMU and Pitt had going at the time which was a better fit. I opted NOT to do the 3/2 they had then.

at the time, CMU took like less than 5% of applicants - it was VERY small. The engineering college was very small.

sats? 710 math i recall with full certainty. I think I had a 630+ on the other side for 1340 (or more, I tend to be pessimistic 41 years later), had a 3.85 hs GPA and 3 year honors (our HS was only 10-11-12 so it was another honors program to do 4 years of PA HS credits in 3 years) Education wise, I met all the requirements easily.

dont ask me what my ACT was, do not remember at all.

PS, wanna hear sad? I graduated with exactly $11250 in loans and a $780 NDSL. all else paid for on summer job + work study* + the grants you used to be able to get.

* = I was working as a programmer for the college. I picked up languages and systems like ducks in water and this helped drive my switch. (even had gosling as a prof as he was getting his phd so he advised me)

PS: I think SAT should be a profile field at CD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh