Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 08:11 AM

518 posts, read 626,568 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone! I am researching places to retire in a year or two and am considering either Squirrel Hill or Greensburg. I don't drive so wherever i retire, it would have to be in a fairly walkable area; accessible to supermarets, pharmacies, libraries, vets. I would be looking for either a studio or a one-bedroom apartment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2022, 08:50 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
might i suggest considering Friendship or Bloomfield? Those areas and Shadyside all sort of mesh together, compared to most of the rest of the city, where geographic features or other things sort of mark neighborhood boundaries.

Compared to Squirrel Hill, the price of a studio might be less in Bloom or Shadyside, but I believe in Friendship you will pay more, but for what I think are generally quieter streets and nicer neighbors, frankly. That general area might surprise you at how pleasant it can be for a retired person to use in the day time. And, the buses would be less crowded in off peak hours, which is nice.

Just some food for thought....

But if it HAD to be Squirrel Hill vs. Greensburg, I would suggest Squirrel Hill, which is just a fantastic neighborhood. I admit, I have limited knowledge of the ins and out of Greensburg, but....I don't like it. Granted, I've been mostly to see shows at the Palace Theater or to meet others to eat/drink, but I just don't like the town. But then, that is in a different context than you need, as a retired person who likely is out and about during the day time, mostly.

I noticed you posted also in a much older, existing thread, before creating this one. I'm sorry if people had not gotten around to addressing your post - but with the next week, I'm sure there would be more activity and input for your questions.

Old 04-24-2022, 10:30 AM

518 posts, read 626,568 times
Thank you so much for your message. I'm going to check further into Friendship, Shadyside and Bloomfield as well as Squirrel Hill. Specifically, I'll want to know the neighborhoods that are closest, walk-wise to supermarkets, vets, libraries, pharmacies. Once I've developed a game plan, I would then make a trip to Pittsburgh to get a feel for the area. I've never been there but I HAVE to get out of NYC (where I've lived almost my entire life). The crime and the cost of living here is going through the roof - it's outrageous. The prospect of starting over in a new city is daunting but living in New York is becoming unbearable.

Old 04-24-2022, 01:21 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
Thank you so much for your message. I'm going to check further into Friendship, Shadyside and Bloomfield as well as Squirrel Hill. Specifically, I'll want to know the neighborhoods that are closest, walk-wise to supermarkets, vets, libraries, pharmacies. Once I've developed a game plan, I would then make a trip to Pittsburgh to get a feel for the area. I've never been there but I HAVE to get out of NYC (where I've lived almost my entire life). The crime and the cost of living here is going through the roof - it's outrageous. The prospect of starting over in a new city is daunting but living in New York is becoming unbearable.
Have you ever considered bridgeville?

Old 04-24-2022, 02:45 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Squirrel Hill is expensive for Pittsburgh but probably cheap compared to New York City. It is one of the few areas around here where you can live a without a car and without living a pretty limited life. There is a large, active business district plus easy public transportation. No veterinarian though.

To be clear, I've lived in Squirrel Hill for close to 20, though we have a car and aren't retired.

(Lots of the bus routes don't run very often and require lots of transfers/long trips to get places. The 61 and 71 bus routes are usual safe bets. )

Last edited by Moby Hick; 04-24-2022 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: added last paragraph

Old 04-24-2022, 05:36 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett2 View Post
...I'm going to check further into Friendship, Shadyside and Bloomfield as well as Squirrel Hill. Specifically, I'll want to know the neighborhoods that are closest, walk-wise to supermarkets, vets, libraries, pharmacies. ... I HAVE to get out of NYC (where I've lived almost my entire life). The crime and the cost of living here is going through the roof - it's outrageous.
for my suggestion (bloomfield/friendship/shadyside)

neighborhoods that are closest, walk-wise to supermarkets - check....
Giant Eagle and Aldi's are a block from each other, and Bloomfield has a Giant Eagle-owned, more expensive but a decent fallback store, called "Community Grocers" or something like that.
There is the Green Grocer, I think its called, on Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield - she sells vegetables, primarily. Bring your own shopping bag, though.

vets - check...
there is the Cat Clinic on Liberty Avenue, and a short uber ride to Lawrenceville will get you to the Big Easy, which is a vet/animal hospital.

libraries - check...
well, there is Lawrencville's library, which might be a bit of a walk from some points in the general area Im talking about. But if you are the most distant point from the library, yet in Shadyside or Friendship, its still maybe 10 minute bus ride + brief walk to the library.

pharmacies - check...
geez...TONS - CVS on Centre Avenue, Wilson's on Penn Avenue, etc.

Mind you Squirrel Hill excels in all these things (I think Bloom/Friendship/Shadyside actually have Sq. Hill beat for grocery options, however!) but when I left an apartment there around 2015 or so to me it was so crowded there, always busy...

I'm sorry those factors have you leaving the city that has been your home forever. Where are you living now in NYC that only NOW the cost of living is a problem? Hasn't it always been so expensive? I don't know if its possible that any middle class incomes earners can thrive in Manhattan without stress and worry about finances. I guess people just make do and take advantage where they can to save money....

good luck with your visit and search! welcome!!!!!! and join our board for friendly, lighthearted, insightful, meaningful, educational discussion about our metro area! We are like one big family here.... (that, my dear, is really an inside joke!)

Old 04-24-2022, 06:05 PM

1,411 posts, read 565,417 times
I would suggest considering Mt. Lebanon.
There are plenty of apartments near the main business district on Washington Rd, along with many restaurants, coffee shops and other businesses , all within a few blocks. The very nice library is close by as well, within easy walking distance.
Not sure if there is a vet nearby, but plenty of doctor's offices. Rollier's is also a great hardware store.
The "T" has a stop right below Washington RD, for easy access to downtown & the north shore.
The only necessity not very close is a grocery store, but south down Washington Rd are Fresh Market, Trader Joe's, Giant Eagle Market District, and Whole Foods. Just a 5 minute Uber ride away.
I'm guessing that Mt. Lebo rents are lower than the East End.

Old 04-25-2022, 07:47 AM

10,842 posts, read 4,521,326 times
having lived there, albeit 39ish years ago...the hill hands down. I get back there a lot to visit mr vince, buy a record or two and eat at one of the holy trinity (allios, mineos, napoli) but it has what you need.

warning, gonna be all 'utes' (its a "my cousin vinny" thing), a lot of college but for the strong chinese, thai, hassidic etc populations its not like beruit...very peaceful - just impossible traffic and next to no parking unless you get an off street slot.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:43 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Squirrel Hill is a much more interesting area. It doesn't get much more walkable than SH, and that includes all the surrounding communities. Regarding walking to a grocery store, you have a Giant Eagle in SH and one close by in Greenfield. There are a lot of ethnic restaurants, great pizza, and coffee shops.

The only downside is it will be more expensive than Greensburg.

Old 04-25-2022, 11:40 AM

1,912 posts, read 737,806 times
Move to a place like Dormont or Bellevue. No college students, nice business district, access to public transportation, and less vulnerability to civil disorder than the East End.

Greensburg is a small town with that kind of atmosphere. It's a completely different environment than the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh