Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 05:06 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
Most are drug addicts who are alienated from their families and choose to live on the street to keep using drugs. Buy them bus tickets to the west coast where they'll be happier.
Correct. As a registered Democrat I am tiring of fellow Democrats becoming more and more bleeding-heart in nature. As someone who formerly loved and was nearly engaged to an addict I can say that only an addict and an addict themselves can take charge of their own recovery by investing their own time, willpower, and effort into it. You can't "force" people to get clean. My ex's family spent thousands on forced rehab to no avail.

"People are sufferrrrinnggggg". Um. Ok. How is that my problem? There are TONS of job openings right now. My office has been so sorely understaffed throughout the pandemic that we have now all "quiet quit" at my office and just toss in the bare minimum to keep our jobs at this point. Employers can't find workers, yet we're being told "times are tough"? My neighborhood is OVERRUN with litter and illegal dumping. I pick up pound after pound after pound of trash weekly, and still Brighton Road, California Avenue, Marshall Avenue, Woodland Avenue, Shadeland Avenue, etc. look like a landfill just days after I clean them. "People litter because they're mad at the worllldddd. People are sufferrrringggg. People need to be able to express their anger through litterrrinnggg." My (largely stoner) white liberal/progressive friends on Facebook are really starting to annoy me with their mental gymnastics to justify the ongoing decline of this once-proud city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 05:21 AM

1,913 posts, read 738,744 times
There was some ahole with a sign standing in the middle of lanes on the Parkway East yesterday. Traffic was inching along there and there he is with his poor me sign with addict written all over his face. Whoever is giving him money, please stop.

Just get near downtown, and there it is.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:04 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
There was some ahole with a sign standing in the middle of lanes on the Parkway East yesterday. Traffic was inching along there and there he is with his poor me sign with addict written all over his face. Whoever is giving him money, please stop.

Just get near downtown, and there it is.
Meh. The cardboard sign people don't bother me. They generally aren't aggressive. They just stand idly. I've been to cities where the homeless population will knock on car windows or follow you down the block if you're on foot.

I'm just tiring of my more progressive/liberal Democratic friends acting like I'm somehow responsible for their plight when the majority of them are enduring self-inflicted substance abuse issues.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:17 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Meh. The cardboard sign people don't bother me. They generally aren't aggressive. They just stand idly. I've been to cities where the homeless population will knock on car windows or follow you down the block if you're on foot.
Yes but these people are the ones pooping and peeing in broad daylight, making it extremely unhealthy to live in the city, go to work, etc. They're killing small business, property values, downtown tourism in general. It's an embarrassment, not safe and our mayor is doing zilch. All hot air and no action. Insane.

Old 05-04-2023, 08:01 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Correct. As a registered Democrat I am tiring of fellow Democrats becoming more and more bleeding-heart in nature. As someone who formerly loved and was nearly engaged to an addict I can say that only an addict and an addict themselves can take charge of their own recovery by investing their own time, willpower, and effort into it. You can't "force" people to get clean. My ex's family spent thousands on forced rehab to no avail.
I don't really think - outside of the political class and a few social service agencies - there's really a strong political force arguing to let homeless people encamp in the streets indefinitely. Like, I don't know anyone who argues for this at all, and I'm absolutely within left-wing circles. There might be somewhat of an indifference - an idea that the problem can't be solved with the resources on hand - but that's about it.

Not local, but I remember a few months back when the mayor of NYC argued to bring back involuntary commitment for the mentally ill homeless. The New York Times and the like panned it, and braced for the backlash, but people across the political spectrum in New York - even left-wingers - said it was a great idea.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:16 AM

79 posts, read 69,918 times
Quote:

"People are sufferrrrinnggggg". Um. Ok. How is that my problem? There are TONS of job openings right now. My office has been so sorely understaffed throughout the pandemic that we have now all "quiet quit" at my office and just toss in the bare minimum to keep our jobs at this point. Employers can't find workers, yet we're being told "times are tough"? My neighborhood is OVERRUN with litter and illegal dumping. I pick up pound after pound after pound of trash weekly, and still Brighton Road, California Avenue, Marshall Avenue, Woodland Avenue, Shadeland Avenue, etc. look like a landfill just days after I clean them. "People litter because they're mad at the worllldddd. People are sufferrrringggg. People need to be able to express their anger through litterrrinnggg." My (largely stoner) white liberal/progressive friends on Facebook are really starting to annoy me with their mental gymnastics to justify the ongoing decline of this once-proud city.
Here I am as a republican voter responding to a registered democrat posting a republican viewpoint. Many of the people being described here are not the homeless but panhandlers. They are different from the true homeless. The true homeless have fallen out of society farther than any other group. They need some help but that help must have as a goal to bring them back into society. To all the people that say there are plenty of jobs, ask yourself who will hire someone who cannot take a shower before going to work.

For those that do not feel anything for the homeless population, just walk around downtown. What you see in some parts of downtown does not creating a welcoming environment for people to visit the city. For that reason alone, the problem needs to be addressed.

Homelessness is a critical problem. Our government must find a way to divert the funds necessary to address it in a meaningful way. There are plenty of things the government spends money on that are less important than this.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:26 AM

Giving them Narcan, food and tents isn't helping either. It's really a drug problem.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:29 AM

79 posts, read 69,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Giving them Narcan, food and tents isn't helping either. It's really a drug problem.
That is a oversimplification of the situation.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:04 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreofless View Post
That is a oversimplification of the situation.
I agree fully. With age and wisdom I've come to realize that drugs are the end result of some peoples trauma. I work in social services and am blown away at peoples life story.

I had a mother addicted to heroin. The addiction came after the federal governments restricted certain pain medication associated with the opioid epidemic. This young lady had Sickle Cell Anemia. The periodic and sometimes prolonged "crisis" is painful. Her medication was cut and this led to opioid addiction. You have to put things into context.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I agree fully. With age and wisdom I've come to realize that drugs are the end result of some peoples trauma. I work in social services and am blown away at peoples life story.

I had a mother addicted to heroin. The addiction came after the federal governments restricted certain pain medication associated with the opioid epidemic. This young lady had Sickle Cell Anemia. The periodic and sometimes prolonged "crisis" is painful. Her medication was cut and this led to opioid addiction. You have to put things into context.
Sorry about that. Glad to have you back though.

Last edited by mjlo; 06-21-2023 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh