U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2007, 01:03 PM

12 posts, read 35,483 times
Default Moving back to Pittsburgh

I'm moving back to Pittsburgh after living in the Washington, DC area for ten years. I am originally from a small town about 40 miles north of Pittsburgh (Ellwood City) and am looking for a similar type of town closer to Pittsburgh. I will be working downtown, and don't want a long commute. Can anyone recommend a town/suburb in the north (I want to be close to my family in Ellwood City, so the South Hills and East areas are not an option) which has an actual small town/neighborhood feel to it (as opposed to sprawling/new development suburbs)? My husband and I plan on having children soon, so school district is an important factor. I'd also like to have a good-sized yard. I'm looking for small-town charm within easy commuting distance to Pittsburgh and not too far from Ellwood City (Lawrence County). Any ideas out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,445 times
Default Moving back to Pittsburgh

I'm actually relocating back to Pittsburgh from the Washington DC area too. We're looking in the Washington County area. Taxes are cheaper than Allegheny and Westmoreland. I've seen developments that offer large lots. But it's 'country' out there (I think). Washington PA is about 25 minutes to downtown Pitts.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:09 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,888,470 times
How about Zelionople (not sure about spelling)?

Old 01-05-2007, 05:24 PM

12 posts, read 35,483 times
That's the type of town that I'm looking for, but Zelionople is a little farther away from Pittsburgh than I'd like to be.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:33 AM

7,377 posts, read 10,097,708 times
How about near Cranberry Twp?

If you go just out of Cranberry there's a little area that's just in Beaver County, with easy access to 79 and downtown access. It's Bradford Park -- not Bradford Woods... and it's a nice little area. You want to look for roads named Mary Reed, Bradford Park, Conway Wallrose... It's zip code 15005.

We lived in Beaver, too. They had a train into the city. I can remember there was a song about taking my baby to the train that was popular when I was picking up my husband at the train...

Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,542,375 times
West View. Honestly, I went there for the first time today and it suprised me. It's very close to the city... so it's not that bad of a commute along US19/Perry HWY. It's just north of the North Side of the city. It's a small town that seems to have a true "neighborhood feel" as opposed to the sprawl of say... Cranberry Twp. It has a small, cute downtown. I just drove through it today... so I don't know much about it... but on appearances... I was pleasantly suprised.... and it might fit your request. It's part of the North Hills School District, I believe.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:32 PM

2 posts, read 8,226 times
Default west view indeed!

i moved to west view from chicago. it's definately a nice place to live. my son started kindergarten this year, and i've been very impressed with the school.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:18 PM

14 posts, read 40,320 times
Again, I have to saw Sewickley area for you. Sorry I am so partial to it, but for small town charm, and good schools, as well as a decent commute, it is the best. Emsworth is a lovely little town. Closer to Pittsburgh. Decent school district, close to 79 North. I am not to sure of the safety and schools in West View. Ben Avon and Avalon are also good areas. My graddaughter is attending the pre-school at the Mt. Nebo Presbyterian Church and loves it. Mt. Nebo is also a good area... it is more rural than the others but a lovely area.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 PM

83 posts, read 112,535 times
I agree Sewickley is very nice. It depends on your income. Sewickley $$$ IMO. Ambridge is next town down from Sewickley (the first town in Beaver County). Very reasonable - cheap! Small town of about 7800, avg home price for something nice 80-100,000, reasonably low taxes, new school. You will hear alot of negatives about Ambridge, but you will about Ellwood, too. Similar "feel" to Ellwood. CLose to town on two bus routes. One is direct (BCTA) and will get youto Pitts. in about 30 minutes. Same if you drive but you will have to pay for parking, anywhere from $2-$20 per day.

Ambridge was recently named a Preserve America community, and is home to Old Economy. There many community oriented, committed people there. And, f you are a church goer, there are 23, yes, 23 churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh