Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,734,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBlu View Post
Oh, I absolutely agree with you that I'm nothing but 100% American (and quite proud of it!), but maybe I should explain that I was actually born in Puerto Rico and that tidbit of personal information tends to short out some people's perception of me in sometimes quite hilarious ways. Never mind that PR has been part of the United States since 1898 and that my own ancestors immigrated from Europe to the continental US in the first half of the 19th century before some of them found their way down to the Caribbean after the Spanish-American war, to some people I'm still a "Hispanic" even if everything else about me tells them otherwise.
My wife is from Puerto Rico although she is typical (mix of spanish, african, and taino) in terms of mix. My grandfather was a Mexican which seems to mess people up since he was purely of Spanish descent. People's misconceptions are based on ignorance but if you don't tell them, you'll probably never change their minds. Still, having been to PR, it does feel like a different country. It exists in purgatory. there was a "everybody hates Chris" episode where the principal tried to have a Puerto Rican teacher deported until she found out that "she's actually a citizen."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,024 times
Question jobs

I work for an agency that provides direct care for persons in their own homes in the Pitttsburgh area., and was wondering if there are any hispanic people who would be interested in this type of employment? It is usually part time, and consists of getting disabled people ready to go to work, etc. It is direct care, bathing, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, things that need to be done for a person who cannot do these things themselves. If anyone is interested in doing this type of work, please feel free to use this site as a contact. thank you, rv1301

Old 01-03-2009, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 44,393 times
Default Moving to pitts..husbands Dominican

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
I see there aren't very many hispanics in Pitt, would you say there are problems with racism or cultural problems?

So funny! My husband and I were just talking about this very think this morning! He's from the DR (grew up in NYC) and I'm caucasion...we're moving to Pitts in May right after the birth of our son. We aren't looking for a predominently hispanic area to live..we just want to be able to offer our son a little of his culture.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 25,486 times
My husband is Hispanic and moved to PA from CA when he was a teenager. It was definitely a culture shock for him since they moved to an area in central PA which I lovingly refer to as "cow country". We moved to Pittsburgh to go to college and now we are perm. residents. I learned to cook a lot of Mexican food because of the lack of restaurants. Although he does like El Campesino sometimes and Chipotle in a pinch... we both agree Baja Fresh was better though.

Anyways, he does run into ignorant people once in a while. And the areas that I have noticed Hispanic clusters in were not the neighborhoods we wanted to buy a house in. We are now in a neighborhood that has a black majority, so now me being white am the one that stands out. We did notice a few Hispanic families did move in up the street a little but have not yet had the chance to meet them. My husband hopes that he'll be able to expose our kids to enough of his culture for them to love it as much as he does but it will be challenging.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri3317 View Post
My husband is Hispanic and moved to PA from CA when he was a teenager. It was definitely a culture shock for him since they moved to an area in central PA which I lovingly refer to as "cow country". We moved to Pittsburgh to go to college and now we are perm. residents. I learned to cook a lot of Mexican food because of the lack of restaurants. Although he does like El Campesino sometimes and Chipotle in a pinch... we both agree Baja Fresh was better though.

Anyways, he does run into ignorant people once in a while. And the areas that I have noticed Hispanic clusters in were not the neighborhoods we wanted to buy a house in. We are now in a neighborhood that has a black majority, so now me being white am the one that stands out. We did notice a few Hispanic families did move in up the street a little but have not yet had the chance to meet them. My husband hopes that he'll be able to expose our kids to enough of his culture for them to love it as much as he does but it will be challenging.
thanks, that's the kind of information I was looking for. Once in a while is a far cry from everyday or everywhere he goes. As for culture, it's never the same of course, just like "Italians" in the US are nothing like actual Italians though they may be proud of their heritage.
may I ask which neighborhood you chose and whether you would consider yourself a city person or not?

Old 01-07-2009, 01:00 PM

10 posts, read 25,486 times
We bought a house between Crafton Heights and Crafton, so it is kind of between the good and the bad. One end of my street is all run down and the other has newer, larger houses. But we have lived on Mt. Washington, North Side, and Robinson. We now consider ourselves city people with country hearts. Since I grew up in a more rural area I need space. A yard bigger than a postage stamp was a must when we were looking for a house to buy. My husband is orginally from LA but moving to rural PA has changed him into a country boy. I think he misses it more than I do sometimes.

We are having our first child soon and he fully intends on teaching it spanish. I am going to have to learn along with the baby. His whole family speaks spanish. He sees himself as an American who is blessed with a Mexican family. His love for his culture is one of the things I love about him.

We have been in Pittsburgh for almost 10 years and I have noticed a definite increase in Hispanics through the years.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,527 times
I am Puerto Rican, born & raised in Pittsburgh. My parents came during the 1970's. The Latino population here is not centralized, it is spread out over various neighborhoods in Pittsburgh. My family was centered on the Eastside of the city merged right into the African American community. Because of the lack of culture, most of the younger generation does not speak Spanish and would appear to the average person as light-skinned African Americans or "mixed". As I was born & raised here, I have experienced my fare share of racism. Since 2000 there has been an influx of other Latinos. There is a growing Mexican neighborhood on the Southside and others scattered throughout the Pittsburgh area, as well as Peruvians, Colombians, Brazilians, Chileans and Argentinians. Most of the Colombians, Chileans, Argentinians are most "affluent" in there professions and many can pass for white, which means they live mostly in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Oakland or North Hills. You will find random Mexican/Central Americans & Peruvian/Ecuadorians on foot throughout the Eastside- East Liberty, Garfield, Wilkinsburgh, Homewood and in places like Duquense, Homestead and the Northside/North shore. Because the Pittsburgh area is predominantly white and there is no centralized Latino communities you won't see people projecting their "Latinidad". They try to keep a low cover. Recently a man was pulled over on the Southside by police and asked for his "papers" then told by the officer "welcome to Arizona". There was a college bar in Oakland that offered $2 Coronas on Wednesday & advertised it as "******* Wednesday"- just fyi.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 AM

what Wednesday?

Old 07-08-2010, 10:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Think of an ethnic slur based on the notion the person in question recently crossed a river.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:35 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scehum View Post
There was a college bar in Oakland that offered $2 Coronas on Wednesday & advertised it as "******* Wednesday"- just fyi.

While I can believe that statement, I'd love to see the proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh