U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2007, 12:27 AM

35,926 posts, read 55,187,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Also, if you're in the area, you may also want to try out Market Cross Pub in Carlisle. They have a nice selection of draft and bottled beer. (http://www.marketcrosspub.com/Beer%20Menu.htm) (broken link).
I tried to hit this place on my drive out the the coast recently, but we were too far behind schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winwahoo View Post
Pittsburgh is an awesome beer town! Even with PA's weird and out-dated alcohol laws, they are beginning to be less restrictive.
I don't think the law has changed so much as more folks are figuring out how to use an E license to operate what is basically a retail shop with a pretense that it is an eating establishment ("See Mr. LCB Guy, there's the seating area over there!" *LCB guy looks skeptically at a couple folding card tables and rusty lawn chairs*) instead of running an actual, true eating establishment that happens to sell take-home beer on the side. I think the goofy alcohol laws have ironically helped Pittsburgh become the beer town that it is. (Philly's reputation is pretty similar, but having sampled Philly's beer-bar scene, I still prefer Pittsburgh's.) They have prompted many taverns to carry a broader selection than they would have if they were not simultaneously catering to the carry-out market. There are places that would have carried countless bottles anyway, but I think there are more places with a better variety than if the stupid laws did not exist. Then along comes the guy from D's SixPax n' Dogz who is generally credited with developing the city's awareness of "gourmet" beers -- by selling them out of a greasy-spoon hot-dog joint, no less. Only in Pittsburgh. Then the growing reputation of The Sharp Edge, with its more conventional tavern format that the rest of the world is familiar with, really brought attention to the city's beer scene in from outside the region. There was a brief rumor that Brussels' world-famous Delirium Cafe was looking to open its first U.S. branch in Pittsburgh, but the rumor quickly died down and I haven't seen or heard anything about it since. But if that ever does come to fruition, I will have to seriously consider moving back to Pitt. Hell, I'd apply for a job there, waiting tables if that's all they had available. Not sure how I'd pay off my mega school loans that way, but hey, one finds a way.

Even here in Chicago, a city of 3 million people, we don't have the sheer number of pubs with the kind of selection you encounter almost casually in Pittsburgh. We've got our own equivalents of the Sharp and Creekhouse (The Map Room and The Hop Leaf) but we don't really have a Fat Head's or a Smokin' Joe's here. (Well maybe one -- Delilah's.) You won't walk into a corner bistro here that seats no more than 40 people and find 80 beers on their menu, or a casual Mexican restaurant with Rogue Chocolate Stout on tap. I've encountered both in Pittsburgh. And you sure as hell won't find a freakin' hot dog stand here with a thousand varieties of beer!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 10:49 AM

485 posts, read 891,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think the goofy alcohol laws have ironically helped Pittsburgh become the beer town that it is. (Philly's reputation is pretty similar, but having sampled Philly's beer-bar scene, I still prefer Pittsburgh's.) They have prompted many taverns to carry a broader selection than they would have if they were not simultaneously catering to the carry-out market. There are places that would have carried countless bottles anyway, but I think there are more places with a better variety than if the stupid laws did not exist.
Nevetheless, I wouldn't be too upset if PA privatized the liquor store system. I'm guessing I won't live to see that day.

Here in south central PA, we run to MD to buy beer/liquor .... bargain prices, relatively speaking. Are there similar bargains to be had in neighboring WV and OH?

Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 AM

35,926 posts, read 55,187,985 times
Quote:
Nevetheless, I wouldn't be too upset if PA privatized the liquor store system. I'm guessing I won't live to see that day.

Here in south central PA, we run to MD to buy beer/liquor .... bargain prices, relatively speaking. Are there similar bargains to be had in neighboring WV and OH?
Oh, I wouldn't be upset if the laws are repealed either. I think Pittsburgh's and Philly's beer culture is now an established fact that is not going to recede if the stupid laws are repealed. But I do think the laws were one of the components that made them the craft-beer centers that they are.

As for booze bargains in OH and WV: I lived in Pittsburgh proper so it wouldn't have been worth my while to drive 80-90 miles round-trip to save a few bucks on a couple bottles of vodka. Maybe for those who lived in border counties it's worth the while. And even if I could find beer cheaper there, I didn't reckon I was going to find anywhere near the beer selection in, say, Wheeling, than I would have in Pittsburgh.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 AM

Default beer

I don't have anything new to add to this thread, but I like beer and wanted to get the thread back to page 1, so that the newer members can comment on it.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:02 AM

20,274 posts, read 17,930,501 times
Quote:
I don't have anything new to add to this thread, but I like beer and wanted to get the thread back to page 1, so that the newer members can comment on it.

I don't have much to add other than that for a person like me who loves beer, and particularly loves Belgian and Belgian-style beers, Pittsburgh is an outrageously great town to live in (which I would say even if I didn't live a two block walk from D's).

Speaking of D's, it has actually changed quite a bit recently from being just a hotdog stand (although even back then it also had what I consider to be the best fries in town). Obviously the expansion into the space next door was key, but they have also added a lot to the menu, including pizza--which you can get with a whole wheat crust that that goes great with beer--and some excellent hamburgers (which not coincidentally also go great with beer).

And speaking of Belgians, I wanted to give a quick mention to the Point Brugge Cafe in Point Breeze. Their beer selection is not quite up to the same stellar standards as The Sharp Edge or D's, but it adds a slightly more upscale dining option to the beer scene. In fact, they do a decent amount of cooking with beer, which is fun, and of course in general the Belgian dishes they serve were designed to go with beer.

And finally, I want to mention Kelly's Bar and Lounge in East Liberty, a place I only recently "discovered". It is a completely different style from these other places (I'd call it retro-lounge-hipster-chic, or something like that), and is probably better known as a cocktail bar. But it has an excellent little beer menu and some great beer-friendly food (including an outstanding mac'n'cheese).

OK, maybe I did have something to add.

Last edited by BrianTH; 02-22-2008 at 10:10 AM..

Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 AM

666 posts, read 1,258,406 times
Does anyone know of a fail-safe place to pickup a good sampling of East End's beers? I LOVE their Big Hop, and was hopin' to try out of a few of their other beers this weekend.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Does anyone know of a fail-safe place to pickup a good sampling of East End's beers? I LOVE their Big Hop, and was hopin' to try out of a few of their other beers this weekend.
If you mean on tap, this is a very handy link:

Here's who's pouring all that GOOD BEER: - East End Brewing Company

By the way, The Map Room (in bold on that list, meaning it always has multiple East End beers on tap) is in Regent Square, right next to D's. I haven't checked so I don't know for sure, but I suspect you could also buy East End beers at D's (perhaps after tasting them at The Map Room!).

Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If you mean on tap, this is a very handy link:

Here's who's pouring all that GOOD BEER: - East End Brewing Company

By the way, The Map Room (in bold on that list, meaning it always has multiple East End beers on tap) is in Regent Square, right next to D's. I haven't checked so I don't know for sure, but I suspect you could also buy East End beers at D's (perhaps after tasting them at The Map Room!).
Good info. Thanks. I'm from outside the area - can you tell me if their beers are available by the case at the local distributors?

Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Good info. Thanks. I'm from outside the area - can you tell me if their beers are available by the case at the local distributors?
Hopefully someone can, but unfortunately that person is not me. I've only had their beers on tap, so I don't really know what their bottle distribution is like (or for that matter if they even sell bottles). I do happen to know they offer kegs and growlers at their brewery, and I believe I may have seen the growlers at D's, but that is probably not what you are looking for.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 PM

160 posts, read 8,806 times
Why did Rolling Rock Leave Latrobe, Pa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh