Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
[EDIT] I stand corrected, Anheuser-Busch recently bought the Latrobe brewery from InBev.
Wrong again... Anheuser-Busch bought the Rolling Rock brand from InBev, City Brewing based in LaCrosse WI bought the actual brewery. Not that this has much to do with the original topic....

...We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 07:55 PM

20 posts, read 144,274 times
I do have to agree--of all the towns on earth, Latrobe???

Anyway...

I have always had fond memories of Latrobe becuase two of my best friends went to St. Vincent College and I have always loved that place.

Tilbat--unless you are absolutely set on living in Latrobe, I'd encourage you to check out Greensburg and Ligonier. All three towns are nice, although Greensburg and Latrobe have more of an "in-town" feel to them whereas Ligonier is more rural (and also quite upscale). The schools in each town are good, and if I had kids I wouldn't hesitate to send them to any of the public schools in the area.

With only a few exceptions, anywhere you pick in Westmoreland County is going to be nice.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 45,500 times
Default School Questions

To answer your questions about schools. Greensburg is nice, as mentioned on another post, anywhere in Westmoreland county is nice and has good schools. Mountian View is actually in Latrobe school district. I love Ligonier if you like the small town feel. The Mellons own most of the town and prohibit many commericial businesses. The closest McDonalds and Walmart are 20 minutes away in Latrobe. Even though Ligonier is more upscale the public schools are not as advanced as Latrobe and Greensburg. The reason being is that most of the wealthy residents send their children to the private school in the area. But if you want to know everyone (I think Ligonier only has 1800 residents, one supermarket, and 2 gas stations) this is the place to be. If you have any other questions, just ask.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:35 PM

8 posts, read 29,563 times
Thank you for all your posts which have caused much mirth in our camp here. Yes, it must be a bit odd why a Brit family should choose to live in LaTrobe. The reason being that my husband has accepted a job with a company called Kennametal based in said town. We currently live in South West Germany, an hour from the French border. We will have been here 6 years by the time we depart for the shores of the States. I have to say I can not wait to live in an English speaking country again and to be able to read all things in shops, understand people and communicate with them and most of all browse, browse, browse in bookshops! Thank you all for your info, it's very helpful. Keep them coming. Oh, and Drover, I have no idea what the beer is you are talking about.... sorry! And StaceyPSU, I have another question for you. Do all the houses in Westmoreland County have HomeOwner Associations, particularly in the school catchment areas of Maxwell Elementary and Mount View? Cheers, tilbat!

Old 04-02-2007, 12:44 PM

Tilbat:

InBev (formerly Interbrew) is a Belgian-based brewing conglomerate; they are the largest brewery in the world and they own seemingly every major European brand including Bass, Beck's, Hoegaarten, Stella Artois, Leffe, Lowenbrau, Spaten/Franziskaner, Bell-Vue, Murphy's, Staropramen, and a plenty of others I can't think of at the moment. They used to own the Rolling Rock brand (brewed in Latrobe) but recently sold it to Anheuser-Busch.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:58 PM

Drover,
Your the 'Beer' man. Well, I've only sampled a couple of those, Stella, becks & Murphys. These days I prefer Guinness to Lager. How does Rolling Rock compare? You sound like the sort of person that would enjoy the Oktober Fest in Munich (which is actually held in Sept, German logic...)

Old 04-02-2007, 01:05 PM

Rolling Rock is a pretty weak lager by European standards. It's a standard American lager, about on par with Budweiser.

I'd like to catch Oktoberfest in Munich some day (or anywhere in Bavaria for that matter). But it's also a pretty big deal here in Chicago and a HUGE deal in the nearby neighboring state of Wisconsin. So while it's probably not the same as in Munich, at least I never have to go without.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:11 PM

Have you tried Speckled Hen or Sheep Dip (Real Ale) brewed in England?

Sorry, I digress from the thread.....

Old 04-02-2007, 01:47 PM

I've had Speckled Hen. I wasn't too impressed. I find English milds and standard biters to be a little bit boring.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
I am in Unity Township, part of the Greater Latrobe School District. Both of our kids went through Mountain View Elementary --- it is an excellent school.

I also know many people from Kennametal! Some are locals and many are transplants from North Carolina. The Germans drift in and out every few years (as do the Latrobeans into Germany).

Welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh