Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 08:48 AM

7 posts, read 57,385 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving to Pittsburgh (zip 15206) and am looking for Utility companies for Electricity, gas and water.

The list that I got from the real estate agent is as follows:

Electric:
Duquesne Light
Allegheny Power

Gas:
Dominion People Gas
Equitable Gas
TW Philips Gas

Water:
Wilkins Penn Joint
Harmar Water
Plum Water
Oakmont Water
Pittsburgh Water & Sewage
Monroeville Water

Since I am new to the city, I just wanted everyone's opinion about what they think of the services of any of these companies listed or if they have faced problems with any of the above.

For instance, I read about Allegheny Power being sued by New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Maryland. They filed a suit in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania against Allegheny Energy Inc. in 2005. The suit claimed that Allegheny made major upgrades at its Armstrong, Hatfield's Ferry and Mitchell plants that dramatically increased emissions, without constructing new pollution controls required by the Clean Air Act. The plants have continued to emit thousands of tons more pollution each year, including sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide emissions, which blow into New Jersey. I don't know what the outcome of this lawsuit was, so the input from people who've been living in the city would be of great help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 09:53 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
I don't live in the city and I'm glad because I have Allegheny Power for my electric. It's 8.2 cents per kwh. I will guess they are about one half of what Duquesne Light charges. When I had DL there was frequent power outages. With AP I don't have any of that. I doubt you can get AP in 15206. If you can Duquesne Light will be the carrier/transferrer and you will pay just as much as using DL directly.

I'll choose Oakmont Water but I doubt you can get that in 15206, probably you'll have Pgh. Water & Sewage., and you're probably stuck with Equitable Gas.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:58 AM

Thank you PeterRabbit, I'll guess I'll call each of these/check their websites again - I really didn't get much info about their coverage areas.
Any more suggestions/experiences from other forum members would be helpful too...Thanks

Old 06-21-2008, 12:00 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
If at all possible, I would avoid Duquesne Light like the plague.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:11 PM

Okay, so that takes care of the Electricity part. And I think PeterRabbit said, based on the coverage area I might be left with Pgh Water & Sewage for water.

What about Gas companies?

Old 06-21-2008, 12:19 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
I believe my parent's use Equitable and are happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: