U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:41 PM

20,274 posts, read 17,296,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did I say that? Show me.
That is a pretty hypocritical request since no one here said "legalizing something that is now illegal is going to put the crooks and criminals out of business." The very serious point is that our drug laws create large incentives in favor of criminality. Remove those incentives, and you likely reduce total criminality. The only way that isn't true is if you assume that all people who commit crimes are somehow destined to do so.

Quote:
There is also no reason to assume the same number wouold not be committed.
We don't need to assume it. We already know the violence rate in the drug trade is far higher than in most other black market activites.

Quote:
Illegal activities by their very nature involve violence.
Tax evasion is illegal, and quite common. How many tax-evasion-related murders are there every year?

Now exactly who is being "naive" again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 11:50 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,805,513 times
One day, the political system in this country will collapse when it becomes apparent just how similar liberals and conservatives actually are. Get out of my life, and stay out! Generally speaking, of course.

Ship all busybody do-gooders to Mars! They can create their safe, law-abiding utopia there. I'll take the drugs, unhealthy food and gay marriage down here on Earth, where they belong.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 PM

To preempt any replies...I'm straight and I tend to eat healthy. I haven't touched meat in 16 years. I support the right of anyone to live their life as they see fit, though. Anybody who doesn't is deserving of the word fascist, and I don't throw that word around lightly.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:56 PM

67,402 posts, read 55,050,371 times
Well just who were you referring to in this statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH
I think it is "quite naive" to assume certain people are born to be "crooks and criminals" and that our legal policies have nothing to do with it.
If it is me, I'd like you to show me where I said that. I do not think I am being hypocritical at all by making that request. That is certainly not part of my belief system. I do think crime will always be with us.

From Wikipedia: War on Drugs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The War on Drugs is a prohibition campaign undertaken by the United States government with the assistance of participating countries, intended to reduce the illegal drug trade—to curb supply and diminish demand for certain psychoactive substances deemed "harmful or undesirable" by the government. The term was first used by President Richard Nixon in 1971, and his choice of words was probably based on the War on Poverty, announced by President Lyndon Johnson in 1964.
See this, too.

frontline: drug wars: thirty years of america's drug war | PBS

Old 06-28-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well just who were you referring to in this statement?

If it is me, I'd like you to show me where I said that. I do not think I am being hypocritical at all by making that request. That is certainly not part of my belief system. I do think crime will always be with us.

From Wikipedia: War on Drugs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See this, too.

frontline: drug wars: thirty years of america's drug war | PBS
Wikipedia and government-funded television networks aren't the best ammo for winning an argument about the drug war, or many other subjects.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:02 AM

125 posts, read 257,920 times
I'm late on this, but what was wrong with my stiletto example? It was a loose analogy and I'm pretty sure I don't need to "grow up" because of it.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:11 AM

67,402 posts, read 55,050,371 times
It seemed kind of mocking, as it went on. But it didn't get deleted, so don't worry about it.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:12 AM

275 posts, read 361,241 times
Legalizing drugs??!!?! Got to be the most navive thing I'ver heard in years. Yes, point to prohibition and the current legality of alcohol as an good example.

Please outline for me the benefits of alcohol in a modern society?

I'll counter by pointing out all the money, lives lost, families destroyed by something that adds so little benefit to society. Alcohol needs to go the way of cigarrettes, and that being people will realize that it really has no benefit. The attraction to alcohol for many is mainly medicinal, as they are treating and underlying depression or anxiety disorder.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:14 AM

36 posts, read 83,022 times
Quote:
Wikipedia and government-funded television networks aren't the best ammo for winning an argument about the drug war, or many other subjects.
Wikipedia is a very reliable source to quote!
Reliability of Wikipedia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See!?

Old 06-28-2008, 08:25 AM

125 posts, read 257,920 times
Quote:
Please outline for me the benefits of alcohol in a modern society?
Please outline the benefits of computer games in a modern socity. Not everything is beneficial, that doesn't mean it should be illegal.
It doesn't have to be beneficial to society, it is the freedom of an adult to do what they legally want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh