U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,342 times
Default Empty nesters question about home purchase in Churchill Area

We are re-locating to the Pittsburgh area from the Midwest. Have been looking in the Churchill Area for a home as jobs are close to that area. We are empty nesters. Is this area OK in terms of re-sale value in say 10-15 years? We love the homes we are looking at but have heard the schools and the Woodland Hills High School are not that good. Would appreciate any replies. Thanks a lot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 01:52 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,418,204 times
The old Churchill school system was fine. The state forced a very unpopular merger that became Woodland Hills. As soon as that happened many people in better areas like Churchill, Forest Hills, and Edgewood, put their houses up for sale and moved. Houses that were already up for sale had their prices reduced dramatically. Woodland Hills schools has the bad reputation that it's earned.

With the school situation out of the picture these communities are fine otherwise with Churchill probably being the most desirable. In 10 or 15 years people who want a good school system for their kids won't be looking in the Woodland Hills neighborhoods just as they aren't now. My opinion is the school district has dragged down the desirability of Churchill and the property prices. If appreciation can keep ahead of the high property tax rates you should be ok.

I haven't been in Churchill in a long time. Used to be there was only 2 commercial establishments in the entire borough, a bar and a gas station on Greensburg Pike.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:52 PM

10 posts, read 32,984 times
I moving103,
There are many home in that area that are beautiful and would resale just fine.
I live beside churchhill area near graham blvd side of Penn Hills. Blackenridge is also a nice area to check out. I lived in my home for 19 years and love my area. The school district is under construction to put it nicely, we have the gone thru some changes for the better due to many normal issues facing all areas and communities. The area is a great mix of people and the houses vary in price and size. Take a ride around the area and see for yourself. Good luck house hunting and welcome to the neighorhood if you choose this area.
Cecilia

Old 07-03-2008, 08:41 PM

14 posts, read 25,769 times
With Westinghouse leaving the Monroeville area for Cranberry, I would say that is very bad for residential and retail values in Churchill and Monroeville. North Hills, South Hills, Sewickley, Fox Chapel, Squirrell Hill, Shadyside... those are the areas where you'll be ok.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:34 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,418,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciliasjafra View Post
I moving103,
There are many home in that area that are beautiful and would resale just fine.
I live beside churchhill area near graham blvd side of Penn Hills. Blackenridge is also a nice area to check out. I lived in my home for 19 years and love my area. The school district is under construction to put it nicely, we have the gone thru some changes for the better due to many normal issues facing all areas and communities. The area is a great mix of people and the houses vary in price and size. Take a ride around the area and see for yourself. Good luck house hunting and welcome to the neighorhood if you choose this area.
Cecilia
How do you know they would resale just fine? You don't even know where it is and have no idea of the real estate history there.

There's no such place as "Blackenridge." It's Blackridge that borders Churchill and Blackridge is a part of Wilkinsburg. Now why would someone want to locate here, spend a lot of money on a place to be part of one of the most dangerous neighborhoods of the city?

You won't be their neighbor if they locate in Churchill. You obviously don't know the area after 19 years of living near it. There's a very distinct class division.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:50 AM

13 posts, read 33,175 times
While it is a good area, currently alot of homes are on the market now. The number one complaint that I hear is that the taxes are too high 3500-4500 yr. On the plus side people are getting nice, quaint, and well built homes in the Churchill area. I have done several homes recently for younger professional couples moving there into their first home and hoping to make some in 5-10 years after some minor remodeling. I personally like the area, not for the educational system but for the charm that is unique to that area and so close to the major roadways of Pgh.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:30 AM

939 posts, read 1,531,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
There's no such place as "Blackenridge." It's Blackridge that borders Churchill and Blackridge is a part of Wilkinsburg. Now why would someone want to locate here, spend a lot of money on a place to be part of one of the most dangerous neighborhoods of the city?

You won't be their neighbor if they locate in Churchill. You obviously don't know the area after 19 years of living near it. There's a very distinct class division.
Wilkinsburg is not a neighborhood, Its many different neighborhoods. The regent square area and Blackridge areas Look reasonable to me. This looks nice also.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,083 times
Churchill is a dangerous area?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 8,733 times
We currently live in Forest Hills, which is a quiet, little neighborhood next to churchill. From my experience, Forest Hills is a great place to live. The neighborhood is full of young couples, middle aged, and older folks that have been there for years. It is a very active, yet quiet community. Unfortunately we are moving to virginia for my husbands job, otherwise we would stay here forever. We are in the process of selling our house and the market here is really moving. If you are looking for a quiet, but very friendly safe place to live - check out forest hills! Please feel free to contact me if you would like to chat more!

Old 07-18-2008, 02:12 PM

168 posts, read 358,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Wilkinsburg is not a neighborhood, Its many different neighborhoods. The regent square area and Blackridge areas Look reasonable to me. This looks nice also.
Wilkinsburg is a separate municipality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh