U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:20 AM

673 posts, read 1,898,165 times

Advertisements

I moved to Pittsburgh from Denver, where there was mexican food aplenty, and was bummed when anytime I asked a Pittsburgher where I could get good Mexican food they sent me to another Tex-Mex place. My test to determine just how authentic a Mexican Restaurant is is to try their tacos.

They should always look something like this:

An american taco always seems to be chicken or beef in a flour tortilla, filled with lettuce and sour cream. Bleh...

Mexico City has the BEST tacos, and overall has the best mexican food as well. So, I challenge you, if you like eating Mexican Food at all, and want to try Pittsburgh's only authentic mexican restaurant, try Mexico City and tell me its not the best Mexican food you've ever had. I highly recommend the Al Pastor Tacos, and you MUST get the guacamole, it's hand made at your table. If you go, and you still think you know of a Mexican Restaurant that's better than this one, PLEASE tell me about it, because in my quest I have found none better than this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 01:47 PM

439 posts, read 1,315,583 times
Where is this place?

Old 06-27-2008, 03:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,970,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
I moved to Pittsburgh from Denver, where there was mexican food aplenty, and was bummed when anytime I asked a Pittsburgher where I could get good Mexican food they sent me to another Tex-Mex place. My test to determine just how authentic a Mexican Restaurant is is to try their tacos.

They should always look something like this:

An american taco always seems to be chicken or beef in a flour tortilla, filled with lettuce and sour cream. Bleh...

Mexico City has the BEST tacos, and overall has the best mexican food as well. So, I challenge you, if you like eating Mexican Food at all, and want to try Pittsburgh's only authentic mexican restaurant, try Mexico City and tell me its not the best Mexican food you've ever had. I highly recommend the Al Pastor Tacos, and you MUST get the guacamole, it's hand made at your table. If you go, and you still think you know of a Mexican Restaurant that's better than this one, PLEASE tell me about it, because in my quest I have found none better than this place.
OMG, that's a real taco! Next time I'm in Pittsburgh I'll check out Mexico City.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Where is this place?
Oops, I guess I should have mentioned where this is. There is one on Smithfield St. and the Boulevard of the Allies, and another on Wood St. between 4th and Forbes. The one on Smithfield is open until 8 on weekdays and Saturdays, and closed on Sundays. I think the one on Wood st. closes around 5 on weekdays and isn't open on Saturdays. DEFINITELY worth the trip into town for this excellent food.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:33 AM

799 posts, read 1,148,722 times
Pittsburgh City Paper has a review.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:36 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,436,998 times
I won't go near a Mexican restaurant although one located near me in Harmarville, Three Amigos. A friend who goes to Mexico and Cancun every other year for vacation (he says they're very different) claims this place is the real deal, authentic Mexican food. They have a couple of other locations. This one is in a former Eat 'n Park on old Rt. 28, Freeport Road.
Three Amigos Mexican Restuarante - What we offer our guestÂ*Â* (http://3amigosmexican.com/what_we_offer_our_guest - broken link)
Reviews of Harmar location:
Three Amigos Restaurante - Monaca, PA, 15061 - Citysearch (http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/43633003/monaca_pa/three_amigos_restaurante.html - broken link)

Old 06-28-2008, 06:40 AM

38,690 posts, read 90,496,732 times
Well if you want to play the "taco snob" game, I'm in. A "proper" taco doesn't have guac on it either. And "real" tacos al pastor aren't made with griddle-fried chunks of meat (as the meat in your picture appears to be); rather, the meat is cut off a spit in thin strips like gyro meat. Oh, and did it have pineapple slivers in it like a "real" al pastor taco is supposed to?

Old 06-28-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well if you want to play the "taco snob" game, I'm in. A "proper" taco doesn't have guac on it either. And "real" tacos al pastor aren't made with griddle-fried chunks of meat (as the meat in your picture appears to be); rather, the meat is cut off a spit in thin strips like gyro meat. Oh, and did it have pineapple slivers in it like a "real" al pastor taco is supposed to?
Ha ha, alright, another taco snob. This pic isn't of Mexico City's tacos, just the closest pic I could find. I just wanted to portray the difference between mexican tacos and american, but VERY observant!

Old 06-28-2008, 04:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,970,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It looked like salsa verderather than guacamole to me.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 PM

803 posts, read 2,730,046 times
I like the "Mendoza Express" on Noblestown road in Greentree... awesome food, and all of it Jalisco-based... the Mendozas seem to really pack 'em in, but they close up early as well, so get there before 8:30PM or so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or