Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 AM

84 posts, read 333,294 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently moved back to the suburbs of Pittsburgh to be close to family (I grew up here). I'm starting to get frustrated in the dating department as there just don't seem to be many eligible females in their late 20's-early 30's here (mostly families with children, 50's+, and college students). I should mention that I'm not into the bar scene at all and I also work from home, which makes it more challenging to meet people.

I would consider checking out a different area (possibly in the city) which has more going on and a better singles crowd. I would like to stay close to family but I'm having a pretty tough time socially.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide, it's very much appreciated.

Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 10:28 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I'm single and in my early 30s as well, and I think where people go wrong is that they're looking for one place to find people, as if there's a secret club with a secret handshake. The only think I can tell you is to do things that you like, and you'll meet people with similar interests. Look into Meetup and Meetin and PUMP, or check the groups and activities sections of Craigslist, and check the events listings in the City Paper and This is Happening. Volunteer somewhere. You shouldn't go about it like you're trolling for women, but the more people you meet, the better your odds are.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:00 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
If you think the Pittsburgh area is bad, try living in the Warren/Youngstown area of Ohio. I'm 29 and most of my high school classmates are in Columbus or North Carolina. The only people left are alcoholics that make $8/hr and/or they have kids. The ones that are halfway decent and have an education are married. Where does that leave a single, responsible, never married w/no kids girl?????

Have you tried online dating? I've tried eharmony and match.com, but i'm just sick of looking and have decided to quit wasting my money. I figure someday i'll meet someone who will sweep me off my feet.

Good luck on your search!

Old 06-29-2008, 06:11 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
If you think the Pittsburgh area is bad, try living in the Warren/Youngstown area of Ohio. I'm 29 and most of my high school classmates are in Columbus or North Carolina. The only people left are alcoholics that make $8/hr and/or they have kids. The ones that are halfway decent and have an education are married. Where does that leave a single, responsible, never married w/no kids girl?????

Have you tried online dating? I've tried eharmony and match.com, but i'm just sick of looking and have decided to quit wasting my money. I figure someday i'll meet someone who will sweep me off my feet.

Good luck on your search!
Have you tried FACEBOOK? My son met a girl that he is dating there. I don't think it costs anything. It's not really considered a dating sight.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:20 PM

I have both facebook and Myspace, but i really don't like Facebook at all. I have searched on myspace a bit, but i'm just tired of trying to meet people online. I would like it better if i could meet someone in person, but thanks for the advice!

Old 06-29-2008, 06:39 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,454 times
Quote:
I have both facebook and Myspace, but i really don't like Facebook at all. I have searched on myspace a bit, but i'm just tired of trying to meet people online. I would like it better if i could meet someone in person, but thanks for the advice!
Do you ever go up around Cleveland? There may be more possibilities for you there. I have a good friend that lives in Youngstown and she's always told me how difficult it is to meet someone there when you are older. I'm old now (close to 60) and have been married for 34 years, and would likely use the Internet now to try and meet people, as it can open up more possibilities. Do you think you'll always stay around Youngstown? It does have some nice areas, but overall it's depressed.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:22 PM

I do go to Cleveland for Indians games, concerts, etc., but i plan on staying in the Youngstown area if i can find a job. If not i'm looking to stay in Northeast Ohio or Western Pa.

30somethings, sorry i hijacked your thread.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:31 PM

84 posts, read 333,294 times
Quote:
30somethings, sorry i hijacked your thread.
No problem, I've gotten some good info so far from the suggestions. Thanks for all of the replies, and if anyone has more I'm all ears.

Lance

Old 06-29-2008, 09:18 PM

803 posts, read 2,969,383 times
I've actually met many a decent gal on Yahoo or even Craigslist, but as with anything else, you have to sift through the garbage to get to the tasty bits... just like in a public setting or even a church social group; it's all about the timing and luck.... and I wish ya' good luck!!!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 13,313 times
Try Venture Outdoors. They do a lot of cool urban exploring and don't entire focus their activities on drinking.

http://www.ventureoutdoors.org/Index.aspx (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh