U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,021 times
Default Relocating soon

Hello my girlfriend and I are relocating to Pittsburgh and were interesting in narrowing down where to look for a place to live. We are looking for a 2 bedroom in a eclectic walkable area around $1000 but we would prefer less.
I came up with Lawrenceville and she was interested in Sunnyside. How do they compare and where else is similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM

2,902 posts, read 6,905,600 times
What's Sunnyside??

Was that a play on words to describe Shadyside??

I'm confused. LOL.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:20 PM

25 posts, read 62,592 times
Try the hill district. :-P jk.

Lawrenceville would be a good fit.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:05 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,231,015 times
There are lots of walkable neighborhoods in the "East End" of Pittsburgh potentially within your budget (in addition to Lawrenceville and Shadyside, I would include at least Bloomfield, Friendship, Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze, and Regent Square). And other options would be the South Side, Downtown, or the Strip.

So to narrow it down a bit, maybe you can describe your ideal "eclectic" and walkable neighborhood in a bit more detail.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:01 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,915,552 times
I'd say shadyside is the nicest city neighborhood, followed by squirrel hill. they are also the most expensive, but your budget should fit okay. "eclectic" is in the eye of the beholder i suppose... shadyside is a pretty upscale area with historic city homes and a fair amount of greenery... it has some walkable retail areas on ellsworth and walnut. there is a combination of indepedent restraraunts, bars, and a few nicer chain stores (including an apple store, ann taylor, bannana republic).

the others mentioned are worth checking out as well, but personally if i was living in the city, i wouldn't live somewhere other than shadyside or squirrel hill.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 AM

Default regent square

We found an apartment we like but are unfamiliar with the area.

Is any one familiar with regent square or to be more precise trenton st?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:15 AM

Yep, I live in Regent Square. It is a small, walkable neighborhood nestled in a corner of Frick Park. It has a mix of all sorts of different housing from funky small apartment buildings up through near-mansions. In addition to the Park it also an increasingly popular "downtown" area (around two blocks total) with a few good restaurants, shops, an independent coffeehouse, an arthouse movie theater, and so on.

As for Trenton, it forms the east border of Regent Square. That means you will be relatively far from the Park and downtown area, but Regent Square is so small that isn't much of a problem. Anyway, if you know the specific block of Trenton, I can give you a little more information.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 AM

the apartment is on s trenton and union

Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanspace View Post
the apartment is on s trenton and union
That is right at the far northeast corner of Regent Square. I should note that puts you closer to the parts of Wilkinsburg some people advocate avoiding, although I personally don't find the immediate area around there anything to be concerned about. It is kinda an odd area, however (not necessarily in a bad way), because there is a small commercial district at that corner that not a lot of people know about.

Anyway, that is in fact a little bit away from "downtown" Regent Square. However, it is a good spot for public transit, and there are some local amenities at the corner of Forbes and Braddock (a playground, bar/restaurant, ice cream place, and another new restaurant coming in apparently).

Old 07-16-2008, 02:09 PM

15 posts, read 19,004 times
I like Lawrenceville. As I know many people tend to hate it. The neighborhood is on the up. Butler st. is changing for the better fast. It is a neighborhood for the artsy urban pioneer types. The rent is cheap there, and you could buy a modest rowhouse for very cheap.

Please realize that there is a big difference between Lawrenceville and places like Shadyside and Squirrel Hill. Shadyside tends to be nice old houses, with apartment buildings with high rent, and a highscale small business street(walnut), and another on Ellsworth with bars and art galleries. Lawrenceville has a long street called Butler with more middle class bars featuring all types of people ranging from your hipster artist along with your old once Iron worker drinking IC light in a can. Lawrenceville is a more gritty rowhouse neighborhood like the southside (a real urban feel), that many on this forum wouldn't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh