Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 PM

84 posts, read 333,294 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move into the city and would like to hear everyone's recommendations.

I'm in my early 30's and am a professional who works from home. I'm currently living in the suburbs but would like to get into a situation where I can meet more single women in their late 20's/early 30's... I'm finding it quite difficult being in a rural area.

Between Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, and Southside, which area do you feel I would be happiest with? Please keep in mind that I'm not looking for the college scene.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice, it's much appreciated!

Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 08:01 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I think you'd like either of those three neighborhoods, but Shadyside and Squirrel Hill have a higher population of professionals in the age group you're looking for. Plus they are both good walking neighborhoods, where you can meet people in the coffee shops and books stores. If you have a dog, walk it. It's a magnet for women. And jog.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:08 AM

158 posts, read 526,992 times
Geeo is right on the money. I think you'll find Southside more about bars and youngER people. But I'm sitting near the shops in Shadyside right now and thanking my stars I get to stay here a little longer. Squirrell Hill is also cool, and closer to those parks where you can work the dog-walking angle. Shadyside is less family, more yuppie, than Sq Hill. And a little more expensive. But they are both pretty good.

By the way, I see great-looking girls around here, but I never meet them. I couldn't guess how you would do that. I guess the dog thing. Good luck; it's a terrible city to meet other singles. I've personally given up, but best of luck to you.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:36 PM

85 posts, read 308,361 times
Shadyside, but maybe its because I live here. I thought Squirrel Hill was a little too crowded for my tastes. There are a lot of people walking and jogging around here in Shadyside, and people seem very friendly.

Southside is definitely a better bar scene though.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
although the two are pretty similiar squirrel hill is probably a little better for families, shadyside a little better for singles.

southside is a pretty different feel, a little more grungey and urban looking... more tatoo parlors and piercings than yuppy. also tends to be cheaper and younger.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:27 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Squirrel hill is a good place. There are probably an equal amount of singles in Squirrel Hill and Shadyside. Shadyside girls always seemed a little more high maintance to me though. I live in S. Hill and like it. The parks make it worth while along with all the funky shops.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I'll just echo that I think both Shadyside and Squirrel Hill would be suitable. I'd probably have a slight preference for Squirrel Hill just because I think it ends up being a bit more of a grad/professional student neighborhood, and that may be your best bet for finding people in your age group who are actually single (not that there aren't such students in Shadyside, but since it is a tad pricier than Squirrel Hill, I think a few more working professionals end up in Shadyside, and a few more grad/professional students in Squirrel Hill, relatively speaking).

Old 07-10-2008, 03:24 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Shadyside has some really nice rentals. I would pick there. It feels a little more city than Squirrel Hill. But Squirrel Hill is good too. I would avoid South Side. It kinda a barfly scene. I have gone out there and the "singles" uhh well..lets just say UM NO> "Take a bath and stop using so much perfume" sums up a lot of southside. I think you should take a class at one of the many schools here to meet people. Also look in the paper for local art shows. A few friends run some things and I worked at a gallery. A lot of the traffic is right in your age range.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 AM

148 posts, read 640,429 times
Am I the only one that would recommend the Southside over the other two? Both S'quill and Shadyside have more of the college element (which the OP is trying to avoid, yes?), and the professional element in the Southside is increasing constantly, especially with new swanky office space developments near the Hot Metal bridge. Plenty of the employees of such companies do happy hour at Carson Street bars. It's close to action but living even as close as Sidney St (two streets behind Carson) results in relative quiet, and not as much parking wrangling as you find in Shadyside and parts of S'quill.

There are also some gorgeous rehabs to be bought there. Prices aren't as inflated as the other two neighborhoods.
As the area is further gentrified, it's also maturing, but is still fun, IMHO.

*disclaimer: haven't looked at the RE market in Pgh in 2 years, but I suspect it hasn't changed that much.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:03 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,931,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmakairos View Post
Am I the only one that would recommend the Southside over the other two? Both S'quill and Shadyside have more of the college element (which the OP is trying to avoid, yes?), and the professional element in the Southside is increasing constantly, especially with new swanky office space developments near the Hot Metal bridge. Plenty of the employees of such companies do happy hour at Carson Street bars. It's close to action but living even as close as Sidney St (two streets behind Carson) results in relative quiet, and not as much parking wrangling as you find in Shadyside and parts of S'quill.

There are also some gorgeous rehabs to be bought there. Prices aren't as inflated as the other two neighborhoods.
As the area is further gentrified, it's also maturing, but is still fun, IMHO.

*disclaimer: haven't looked at the RE market in Pgh in 2 years, but I suspect it hasn't changed that much.
You are right, as the S.S. Works is attracting many young proffessionals, between late 20s-mid 30s. The S.S. slopes have many fixer-upers that are attracting them as well. However, it still is a heavy party neighborhood and very urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh