Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:46 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,488,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Which one has mini-golf?

Also, some might say this is off-topic, but I'm the OP and I say it isn't: If you see an amphibious vehicle tomorrow between noon and 1pm, wave. My immortal beloved has wanted to take a Ducky Tour since we moved here and tomorrow's her birthday!
haha, I've heard the Just Ducky tour is actually pretty cool but I've never done it. Let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,154,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Sandusky is only about 3 hours from Pittsburgh (about an hour west of Cleveland). I don't know when you were there last but it's grown a lot into a tourist destination. There is still Cedar Point and now there's an Indoor Water Park Resort (Kalahari), and quite a few wineries that grow their own grapes and have wine tastings and restaurants and stuff. It's a nice little getaway...good idea Tallysmom
Cedar Point -- We have such fond memories of that place. I have to admit that it's been exactly 25 years ago we were there. The reason I'm sure?

It was our honeymoon. July 9, 1983.

And he's still the one...

Old 07-14-2008, 01:21 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,788,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
So, we went to Ohiopyle for the first time today and it was fantastic! We're already planning a trip back to the area to go to Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob and maybe horseback riding. My question, as someone who's been here a little over a year, is what else is there to do a short (2 hours or less) drive away? We've been to Lake Erie and that's about it. I'm not including Cleveland, Wheeling or Morgantown because they're cities and this is more of an outdoors post. I have a few guidebooks, so I know all the names of the recreational hot spots around Western Pennsylvania, but I want some first-hand recommendations. How about it?
Try Mercer County, about an hour north of Pittsburgh. There's great recreational boating and fishing on the Shenango River Reservoir near Hermitage and Sharpsville, and Pymatuming State Park near Jamestown. There's also great shopping at The Prime Outlets near Grove City. And there's tons of history in the area. I would recommend staying away from the City of Farrell though.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 AM

33 posts, read 96,496 times
Default cook forest

Try Cook Forest State Park near Clarion, PA. There is plenty of camping, canoeing, hiking there, as well as an old fire tower to climb that gives an amazing view.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:25 AM

299 posts, read 1,006,293 times
New River Gorge
New River Gorge National River (U.S. National Park Service)
~3.5 hours from Pittsburgh

Allegheny National Forest
Allegheny National Forest - Welcome!
~2.5 hours from Pittsburgh

Old Bedford Village
Welcome To Old Bedford Village
~2 hours from Pittsburgh

McConnell's Mill
Pennsylvania State Parks - McConnells Mill - PA DCNR
~45 minutes from Pittsburgh

Kentuck Knob
Welcome to Kentuck Knob -- A Frank Lloyd Wright Creation
~1 hour from Pittsburgh

Allegheny Portage Railroad
Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)
~1.5 hours from Pittsburgh

Old 07-14-2008, 10:17 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,918,289 times
I like to go down into WV. There are a lot of cool places to go hiking and camping down there. It is really backwoods down there.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,699,850 times
Thanks everybody! I have enough ideas to last the next ten years now. BTW, Just Ducky tours are fun.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 PM

52 posts, read 225,813 times
You might like Titusville, PA, where oil was first drilled. The Drake Well is there, along with lots of historical museums. You can also take a leisurely train ride through the area (I think it takes over an hour)...it's especially beautiful during the autumn.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:48 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,782,640 times
Default Visit Johnstown, PA

Johnstown is about 1.5 hrs away to the east of Pittsburgh. Follow US Rte 22 East to Rte. 56 East and you'll be here in no time (except for the construction).

We have many places of interest including:

Inclined Plane
Flood Museum
Heritage Discovery Center
Bottleworks Ethnic Center
Arts Center
Flood Memorial (in South Fork)

Worth looking into for a visit, IMHO. Happy travels

Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,903,368 times
I know it's not in Western Pa, but i'm a big fan of Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens Contact in Akron, Ohio (probably about a 2 hour drive). They have beautiful gardens and the mansion is amazing. Stan Hywet was the home of the Seiberling family, aka the family that started Goodyear. Definitely worth the visit!

Oh and if you venture to see Stan Hywet i would also check out the following:

Akron Zoo

Brandywine Falls Adventure Brandywine Falls tour

Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad

Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom

Western Reserve Historical Society (http://www.wrhs.org/index.php/hale - broken link) Hale Farm and Village

Akron Ohio Hotel and Silo- Quaker Square Inn - Akron-Canton, Ohio Airport Hotel.

Official Web Site of the Akron Aeros

Welcome to Pro Football Hall of Fame

Akron/Summit Visitors Bureau - Overview of Akron Summit Visitors Bureau (http://www.visitakron-summit.org/2003/default.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh