Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 05:55 PM

15 posts, read 37,590 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I am a recent graduate of Pitt, now I have lived in Oakland for 3 years so I figure I am used to city living, also my grandmother and aunt both live near Riverview part -by uniondale cemetery, not the best place.

I am going to Duquesne now for Law school and a found a tremendous apartment in building three of Allegheny Cener, with great views of the city, excellent price, and only a mile and a half from campus.

My question is, how safe is it to walk to town? And in returning from Duquesne late after studying is it safe to walk up federal street by PNC back to building three???

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM

76 posts, read 273,941 times
During daylight hours, perfectly safe. Enjoy.
After dark, use common sense. I'm not saying that anything would happen, but keep alert and keep your eyes open. No headphones or earbuds.
It seems pretty safe down there to me. Enough folks coming and going to deter any trouble.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 22,454 times
I have heard of a few problems there lately, mostly minor disturbances, drunk and disorderly type stuff, nothing major. There was a major flood of long term, older residents (over age 40 and up) fleeing there about 5 years ago, when one of the unis started getting blocks of student housing units there for their undergrads. But, other than the associated student-type probs that usually accompany a high concentration of young kids together, away from home, overusing alcohol, I know of nothing to steer you away from the place. Post here if you hear or find out anything different. I'd be interested to know.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:55 PM

10 posts, read 25,565 times
I lived at Allegheny Center as a student a few years ago and walked to and from downtown every day for school for 3 years. I personally didn't have any problems, but there were instances of mugging and the such with other students. I am a small young lady so I did carry pepper spray, but never used it. I tried to do most of my walking during the day, and there is a bus that picks up around there to downtown. Like the others have said, use your common sense.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:12 PM

84 posts, read 259,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerri3317 View Post
I lived at Allegheny Center as a student a few years ago and walked to and from downtown every day for school for 3 years. I personally didn't have any problems, but there were instances of mugging and the such with other students. I am a small young lady so I did carry pepper spray, but never used it. I tried to do most of my walking during the day, and there is a bus that picks up around there to downtown. Like the others have said, use your common sense.
If you have other options and this is not the ONLY place to live, doesn't it make sense to pick a place where you don't need to carry pepper spray?

By the way, I have heard horror stories of that area both by people who work at the hospital and some who live nearby. If you are female, FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO LIVE!

Old 07-25-2008, 02:17 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
I lived there years ago and walked back from work downtown at 3 AM a lot of times. never had a problem; of course I am a big black dude who was often mistaken for one of the Steelers......I was more scared of cops than robbers.

I don't think I would do that too much nowadays...

Old 07-25-2008, 06:16 PM

15 posts, read 37,590 times
Thank you for the replies guys, I actually am going to live downtown, found a better bargain on 6th street.

Ya the walk didn't really bother me, heck I used to play pick up football in uniondale cemetery at night and walk back up Brighton road to my grandmothers when it got dark.

I had just heard that it was extremely bad over there, mostly from my mother who is extremely afraid of Federal street because she was robbed there in like the 1960's . I knew it was not worse than where my grandma and aunts live.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh