Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite Pittsburgh Landmark(what makes Pittsburgh Unique?)
Andy Warhol Museum 0 0%
Carnegie Science Center 0 0%
Cathedral of Learning 7 19.44%
Pittsburgh Mills 0 0%
Duquesne Incline 10 27.78%
Carnegie Museum of art and science 3 8.33%
Point State Park 6 16.67%
"Three Sisters" Bridges 1 2.78%
Ye Old Robinson Town "Centre" 1 2.78%
Pittsburgh National Aviary 1 2.78%
Carson St. (bar and pub crawls) 2 5.56%
PNC Park 1 2.78%
Squirrel Hill business district 0 0%
Golden Triangle (architecture walks) 2 5.56%
Monroeville Mall 0 0%
Station square 0 0%
Hienz Field 0 0%
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical gardens 0 0%
Schenley park 2 5.56%
The Mattress Factory(no, not where they make your bed) 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:41 PM

362 posts, read 919,345 times

Advertisements

Schenley Park. Years ago they would show old classic movies on the hill side for free. We would take a cooler of beer and some blankets and have a blast. On the same hill in the winter we would sled ride and tube. The Vintage Car Race is held there every year as well. The park is a beautiful spot to get away from the hustle & bustle of Oakland.

I don't see how the Monroeville Mall is even on your list??????? How about Frick Park instead? Or The Strip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 09:12 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
Schenley Park. Years ago they would show old classic movies on the hill side for free. We would take a cooler of beer and some blankets and have a blast. On the same hill in the winter we would sled ride and tube. The Vintage Car Race is held there every year as well. The park is a beautiful spot to get away from the hustle & bustle of Oakland.

I don't see how the Monroeville Mall is even on your list??????? How about Frick Park instead? Or The Strip.
I think they still show movies there. I know they do in Riverview Park. As for the malls, Monroeville might be the only one worthy of the list, as it was the location of Dawn of the Dead and people come from as far away as Japan to see it. One mall on the list was enough, though.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,590 times
I have only been here a couple of months and honestly can't seem to pick a favorite. I think Pittsburgh itself is an amazing and wonderful city from the skyline to the bridges. The people are friendly and the cultural atmosphere is so diverse. I love it all.....so far.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:37 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
^well we are glad you like it so far. Make sure to check out all those landmarks.

Is the Warhol still free on Fridays? Or just for students? Anybody know?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,590 times
Thanks! I plan on it.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 PM

173 posts, read 460,142 times
Wink schenley park

I spent alot of time there!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:00 PM

85 posts, read 286,731 times
A young Australian I met said he was amazed by the South Side Strip because they had nothing like that in Australia.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:47 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyman View Post
A young Australian I met said he was amazed by the South Side Strip because they had nothing like that in Australia.
Awesome. My relatives from Italy come to visit every other year or so, and they absolutely love Carson St and the South Side, and The Strip District.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:33 AM

2 posts, read 5,193 times
Whoever posted this has to be from Robinson. Who else knows how to spell it as "Centre." It get my vote just because I grew up there. But in the city, I make sure I take every one I bring here to the Duquesne Incline. It is truly a unique treasure that makes Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:08 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
The little things: the ethnic neighborhoods that are still largely intact. Polish Hill was an oasis of cobblestone streets and dramatic contrasts of new and old, of glass and steel skyscrapers up against antique, pristine row houses fronted by an army of babushkas sweeping their stoops and their sidewalks. Forgive the stereotype, but when I was there last that's just what it was, and it was like having one foot in the past and while the other was being tugged into the future.

The Oyster House in Market Square with those great photos everywhere of Pittsburgh sports icons, their fish sandwiches which were never very good but never very bad. The Strip District with its combination of truckers and businessmen and civilians rushing in and out, Uptown Fifth Avenue as it was then, half new Hill District half old hold-outs making their stand at Bubbles Deli and the All-Star pool hall.

I'm not saying I don't dig the bridges and as another poster mentioned the weather beacon that the Gulf Building was in those days, and who could say that the Cathedral of Learning is not impressive; used to be, maybe it still is, the tallest university building in the world. But it's the things made and maintained by "people" not architects that to me are most moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh