Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 12:07 AM

23 posts, read 36,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Venetia? Is that out Route 19 south, around Peters Township? And is that where you spent most of your time when you were in the Pittsburgh area? If so, Pittsburgh itself, even the near suburbs once you get in as far as Mt. Lebanon is alot different, alot better, if you're more of a cosmopolitan girl.

The best is yet to come!
Yes it is out by Peters township....i don't mind the country much. And it's not entirely that either.....it's actually very nice with all the greenery. I love certain parts. But it would be nice to become more familiar with what is within Pittsburgh's downtown and surroundings. I've walked around a bit there. Also took one of those boat tours. But I have yet to discover Lawrenceville and other places like it. Mt. Lebanon seems nice enough-but my boyfriend wants to stay a lil ways outside of the city. Which is fine....I'd have the scenery to keep me company on my commute I guess.

Actually hoping to find work in the downtown area. Hoping it's not too hard to come by around there. I'm working in finance-currently as a bilingual loan administrator. Sadly I doubt my French will come to much use out there. But I can possibly work towards my Spanish. Been wanting to get that under my belt a while now. I know, I know, after all that talk about art and such....truth is I got involved with finance abroad as it was the only thing that paid bills. Other than my previous bar tending/serving job.
Thinking of possibly getting involved with a local gallery too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:05 AM

2,751 posts, read 5,361,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarian View Post
Yes it is out by Peters township....i don't mind the country much. And it's not entirely that either.....it's actually very nice with all the greenery. I love certain parts. But it would be nice to become more familiar with what is within Pittsburgh's downtown and surroundings. I've walked around a bit there. Also took one of those boat tours. But I have yet to discover Lawrenceville and other places like it. Mt. Lebanon seems nice enough-but my boyfriend wants to stay a lil ways outside of the city. Which is fine....I'd have the scenery to keep me company on my commute I guess.

Actually hoping to find work in the downtown area. Hoping it's not too hard to come by around there. I'm working in finance-currently as a bilingual loan administrator. Sadly I doubt my French will come to much use out there. But I can possibly work towards my Spanish. Been wanting to get that under my belt a while now. I know, I know, after all that talk about art and such....truth is I got involved with finance abroad as it was the only thing that paid bills. Other than my previous bar tending/serving job.
Thinking of possibly getting involved with a local gallery too...
That is pretty out there. I'd give anything to see greenery right now. It probably won't rain in L.A. till November! The summers are the worst time of the year, for me anyway.

Those places you mention are as familiar to me as your home is to you, and the thought of Lawrenceville makes me nostalgic. When I was a kid I had an aunt on Denny Street and she used to watch me everyday while my mom was at work. In those days it was just an old, poor area, but I know it's been discovered by newcomers in recent years. Industrial Chic, we never could have seen that coming.

The truth is I tried to go home years ago, but it never felt right. I think must have been gone too long. I still had good friends there, but alot were married and spread out, and there wasn't much family that I wanted to deal with, it was the strangest thing to feel lonely in your home town.

Now it's hard for me to think of Pittsburgh as anything less than wonderful. Things always look better in retrospect. I'd like to be able to tell you that I know Pittsburgh will be for you, but I don't want to lie to you. I've lived in a few American cities and I liked some and disliked others. I'm not all that crazy about the one I'm in now, it wouldn't be my first choice, even my second or third, but I'm here for now and I try to surround myself with things I do like.

There are things to like about Pittsburgh. I know alotta people would disagree with me, but I prefer Pittsburgh weather to L.A.'s. I don't know if you know L.A. or not, but I prefer Pittsburgh's city life to this. L.A. is a lot of towns strung together to make one urban sprawl with Downtown L.A. as some vague focal point alotta people never see. Also, I like the oldness of Pittsburgh, old neighborhoods especially, there's a quaintness there that I think you could appreciate.

I forget where in Canada you said you were from, but there's a chance you might feel isolated in Pittsburgh. It is off the beaten path after all. That was something I didn't like even when I was growing up there, but it might not bother you. Not that you won't have access to the things you want or need, but just that feeling that you're out in the middle of nowhere, for me that was always a little claustrophobic in a reverse way.

Working in town sounds like a good idea for you, especially if you're going to be living out in the suburbs. What you probably don't want is one long suburban lull, might drive you nuts. The people there just expect honesty and directness, with a little bit of dangerous deviant behavior thrown in to break the monotony I think you'll be fine. As long as the downside isn't too steep you should take a shot. It's the things we walk away from without giving them a chance that we end up regretting.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
That is pretty out there. I'd give anything to see greenery right now. It probably won't rain in L.A. till November! The summers are the worst time of the year, for me anyway.

Those places you mention are as familiar to me as your home is to you, and the thought of Lawrenceville makes me nostalgic. When I was a kid I had an aunt on Denny Street and she used to watch me everyday while my mom was at work. In those days it was just an old, poor area, but I know it's been discovered by newcomers in recent years. Industrial Chic, we never could have seen that coming.

The truth is I tried to go home years ago, but it never felt right. I think must have been gone too long. I still had good friends there, but alot were married and spread out, and there wasn't much family that I wanted to deal with, it was the strangest thing to feel lonely in your home town.

Now it's hard for me to think of Pittsburgh as anything less than wonderful. Things always look better in retrospect. I'd like to be able to tell you that I know Pittsburgh will be for you, but I don't want to lie to you. I've lived in a few American cities and I liked some and disliked others. I'm not all that crazy about the one I'm in now, it wouldn't be my first choice, even my second or third, but I'm here for now and I try to surround myself with things I do like.

There are things to like about Pittsburgh. I know alotta people would disagree with me, but I prefer Pittsburgh weather to L.A.'s. I don't know if you know L.A. or not, but I prefer Pittsburgh's city life to this. L.A. is a lot of towns strung together to make one urban sprawl with Downtown L.A. as some vague focal point alotta people never see. Also, I like the oldness of Pittsburgh, old neighborhoods especially, there's a quaintness there that I think you could appreciate.

I forget where in Canada you said you were from, but there's a chance you might feel isolated in Pittsburgh. It is off the beaten path after all. That was something I didn't like even when I was growing up there, but it might not bother you. Not that you won't have access to the things you want or need, but just that feeling that you're out in the middle of nowhere, for me that was always a little claustrophobic in a reverse way.

Working in town sounds like a good idea for you, especially if you're going to be living out in the suburbs. What you probably don't want is one long suburban lull, might drive you nuts. The people there just expect honesty and directness, with a little bit of dangerous deviant behavior thrown in to break the monotony I think you'll be fine. As long as the downside isn't too steep you should take a shot. It's the things we walk away from without giving them a chance that we end up regretting.
I agree entirely, you can't give up 'til you try because there might the experience of a lifetime waiting for you. Sort of how I felt wit going to Hungary to study. I never regretted it. I had an amazing time there..I don't mind the old and quaint. That for me adds character to a place. It's the cookie cutter houses in some suburbs that bother me. I can't stand uniform and parallel things. Not when it comes to houses. Manicured lawns, etc...not my thing. Coming from BC having nature is pretty important. I like Toronto for what it is, but I still am sensing the absence of enough trees and parks and nearby wooded areas. Living in Vancouver I used to go for hikes on weekends. It was only a 20-30 min bus ride for me. And then you were out in the middle of rain forest. The smell of pine needles, moss and fern....well that's west coast though. I know PA is different. But I really like the hills and woods there. I sadly missed the fall but I have no doubts it's breath taking. See that's one thing we don't have in the west really. The colorful sea of trees in the fall.

Never been to LA.....but it sounds like its a lil cold for me-not weather wise. But the people sound like they might be a bit too pretentious and preoccupied with wealth and success for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy money. But there are better things in life to value than that too. Things that will stay with you forever. Anyhow, I digress....

PIttsburgh appears to have enough character and art and various other cultural things for me to end up settling in well.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I agree entirely, you can't give up 'til you try because there might the experience of a lifetime waiting for you. Sort of how I felt wit going to Hungary to study. I never regretted it. I had an amazing time there..I don't mind the old and quaint. That for me adds character to a place. It's the cookie cutter houses in some suburbs that bother me. I can't stand uniform and parallel things. Not when it comes to houses. Manicured lawns, etc...not my thing. Coming from BC having nature is pretty important. I like Toronto for what it is, but I still am sensing the absence of enough trees and parks and nearby wooded areas. Living in Vancouver I used to go for hikes on weekends. It was only a 20-30 min bus ride for me. And then you were out in the middle of rain forest. The smell of pine needles, moss and fern....well that's west coast though. I know PA is different. But I really like the hills and woods there. I sadly missed the fall but I have no doubts it's breath taking. See that's one thing we don't have in the west really. The colorful sea of trees in the fall.

Never been to LA.....but it sounds like its a lil cold for me-not weather wise. But the people sound like they might be a bit too pretentious and preoccupied with wealth and success for my liking. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy money. But there are better things in life to value than that too. Things that will stay with you forever. Anyhow, I digress....

PIttsburgh appears to have enough character and art and various other cultural things for me to end up settling in well.
From everything you say I think Pittsburgh's a good bet for you. It is old and quaint, you do have easy access to rural, woody areas. I'm sure there are the cookie-cutter type suburbs there too, as everywhere. But in the city, especially in the East End there are alotta big, old houses in neighborhoods stinkin' with atmosphere.

As far as people in L.A., they get a bad rap. Like all stereotypes there is an element of truth to it, just like I always heard growing up about 'cold' New Yorkers. Then I moved there when I was in my early 20's and found that once you got past the gruff exterior, once they saw you were alright, they were the warmest, most human people I'd come across. Love-starved was how they struck me, once I saw through. And in L.A., like anytime people are living in challenging conditions, their humanity either has to breathe or die, so the big ones, the smart ones, the strong ones rise above it. That could be the biggest negative, in fact, to living in a smaller, less challenging town; people don't have as much to rise above so they just don't.

You seem like a very warm girl. Do you come from a close family? Are they still up in Canada? How do they feel about your moving away?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
From everything you say I think Pittsburgh's a good bet for you. It is old and quaint, you do have easy access to rural, woody areas. I'm sure there are the cookie-cutter type suburbs there too, as everywhere. But in the city, especially in the East End there are alotta big, old houses in neighborhoods stinkin' with atmosphere.

As far as people in L.A., they get a bad rap. Like all stereotypes there is an element of truth to it, just like I always heard growing up about 'cold' New Yorkers. Then I moved there when I was in my early 20's and found that once you got past the gruff exterior, once they saw you were alright, they were the warmest, most human people I'd come across. Love-starved was how they struck me, once I saw through. And in L.A., like anytime people are living in challenging conditions, their humanity either has to breathe or die, so the big ones, the smart ones, the strong ones rise above it. That could be the biggest negative, in fact, to living in a smaller, less challenging town; people don't have as much to rise above so they just don't.

You seem like a very warm girl. Do you come from a close family? Are they still up in Canada? How do they feel about your moving away?
It's funny to me you should think I seem close to my family. I don't really think that my family situation could be perceived as that close. I've lived with my mother until I moved to Hungary. She's out West right now. I see her rarely these last 5-6 yrs. I'd see her every 1-2 yrs. I got a lot closer to my family in Hungary when I moved there. I used to visit as a kid in the summers. I guess like most European families, yes we're close. But I have no relatives here in Ontario. It was strange to see my boyfriends family dynamics, as they're very different from what I am used to. I do miss my relatives now I'm out here on my own.....but not as much I guess as others would being more attached. I miss having occasional dinners or outings with them. My family understands my desire to move away. And they respect that. They know I'm a capable person. But then they never had a say that much either. They know I'm independent. Canadians are generally known to be quite friendly. We are usually warm and welcoming. I mean you can tell the difference already with the border guards. Its been parodied about how friendly we are in that movie Canadian Bacon!

I can imagine it takes time to get to know people in certain cities. People become guarded and defensive if they continuously have to deal with trust or security issues. Living in a city, that is threatened at times. Toronto isn't too different. People are not comfortable here with being looked in the eyes. They get suspicious.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
It's funny to me you should think I seem close to my family. I don't really think that my family situation could be perceived as that close. I've lived with my mother until I moved to Hungary. She's out West right now. I see her rarely these last 5-6 yrs. I'd see her every 1-2 yrs. I got a lot closer to my family in Hungary when I moved there. I used to visit as a kid in the summers. I guess like most European families, yes we're close. But I have no relatives here in Ontario. It was strange to see my boyfriends family dynamics, as they're very different from what I am used to. I do miss my relatives now I'm out here on my own.....but not as much I guess as others would being more attached. I miss having occasional dinners or outings with them. My family understands my desire to move away. And they respect that. They know I'm a capable person. But then they never had a say that much either. They know I'm independent. Canadians are generally known to be quite friendly. We are usually warm and welcoming. I mean you can tell the difference already with the border guards. Its been parodied about how friendly we are in that movie Canadian Bacon!

I can imagine it takes time to get to know people in certain cities. People become guarded and defensive if they continuously have to deal with trust or security issues. Living in a city, that is threatened at times. Toronto isn't too different. People are not comfortable here with being looked in the eyes. They get suspicious.
No, I just felt a warmth coming off you and wondered where it came from. 'Family', isn't always a sacred thing. It is one of those things that we don't choose, after all. There have been times in my own life when I've felt close to family, especially immediate family, but then other times when I've been disappointed by those same people, as I'm sure they've been with me.

I've only been to Canada once when I was a kid, and that was just around the southern border area, so I really don't know anything, but it does seem pretty cool, maybe the way America was twenty or more years ago, before it got out of hand in so many ways.

My point about the people in L.A. and New York, big city people in general, is that often they get beyond their apprehension and distrust and they can actually be better, warmer than those in the smaller towns, because it's as if they have to, if they're going to retain their humanity at all.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:00 AM

The strange thing for me is that I never really had that much family around me growing up. It was mostly my mother and myself and well close friends. I'd be with my father and his family on occasion. So moving to Europe and suddenly having cousins, aunts and uncles, grandparents all around me was a different experience. I enjoyed having the big dinners for Christmas, and all the great get togethers.

Would you say that people in Pittsburgh are generally close to their relatives and immediate family?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Quote:
The strange thing for me is that I never really had that much family around me growing up. It was mostly my mother and myself and well close friends. I'd be with my father and his family on occasion. So moving to Europe and suddenly having cousins, aunts and uncles, grandparents all around me was a different experience. I enjoyed having the big dinners for Christmas, and all the great get togethers.

Would you say that people in Pittsburgh are generally close to their relatives and immediate family?
Yes, many grown-ups still go over to their parents house for Sunday dinner around here. And if you ever happen to see a really large congregation of people in one of the parks, it's more than likely a family reunion

Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 AM

I guess its a bit odd that a Canadian would want to move down there so randomly...Pittsburgh hasn't yet had that much influx of intrigued people. It's almost like a diamond in the rough yet to be discovered. But I think it will develop into a desired destination. If only accessibility were a little simpler. I think Pittsburgh has a quality that could be exposed even more, and already I've heard good reviews in the media about it. People from NY are becoming more and more interested. Also the information I've gathered about the arts and culture down there-there appears to be a strong and developing community that continues to expand and thrive for a better future. There's already a great deal there for the sports fans. Since I've never followed sports too much, I've been "trained" to be a Steelers supporter.
But it will take the people a while to adapt to newcomers coming in. That will be one of the largest transitions I believe. People are friendly and polite, but won't want to adapt to all the changes. I believe that the city will grow but that the surrounding areas will remain isolated and unchanged for a long time.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I just want to note I don't think the region as a whole is all that isolated or frozen in time. Indeed, for good or ill the suburbs here feel much like the suburbs I grew up in outside Detroit. And I know a good number of the people I grew up with are still in the Detroit area, and probably if you met them it would take a little time to make them into close friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh