U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 AM

7 posts, read 31,886 times

Advertisements

I'm not very good at knowing what areas of the city are good/bad places to live. I found an ad on craigslist for a townhouse in East Liberty and I'm interested in it. I just wanted to get some thoughts from people who have lived in the east liberty area of the city. Here's the craigslist ad. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/763484305.html (broken link) Maybe you've even lived in one of this guy's townhouses before. I could use some first hand knowledge and experience with this area. What's some of the pros and cons of the area? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM

33 posts, read 86,883 times
East Liberty near Washington Boulevard is fine. You'll be close to Pt. Breeze, Whole Foods, and the new "East Side" shopping area!

Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM

85 posts, read 235,511 times
I would be very leery of rent that cheap!

Old 07-21-2008, 12:01 PM

3,177 posts, read 1,426,623 times
That is some cheap rent. The location makes me think that the townhouse is either in North Point Breeze, or more than likely in Larimer. Realtors have lately been listing properties in Larimer as East Liberty. Kind of how properties in East Liberty used to be advertised as Shadyside.

Larimer looks a whole lot worse than it is, but I would suggest getting the address and doing a drive by. If you don't feel comfortable driving in the neighborhood then you'll have your answer on whether or not you should live there.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfer View Post
I would be very leery of rent that cheap!
That's what I thought. That's part of the reason I was a bit skeptical of the area from the get go.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:55 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,032,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
That is some cheap rent. The location makes me think that the townhouse is either in North Point Breeze, or more than likely in Larimer. Realtors have lately been listing properties in Larimer as East Liberty. Kind of how properties in East Liberty used to be advertised as Shadyside.

Larimer looks a whole lot worse than it is, but I would suggest getting the address and doing a drive by. If you don't feel comfortable driving in the neighborhood then you'll have your answer on whether or not you should live there.

This is very true. WHen I was searching for apartments you would get landlords who misrepresent what neighborhood their property is in.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:19 PM

625 posts, read 1,173,550 times
Washington Blvd. is not in East Liberty or North Point Breeze. 5th Ave turns into Washington Blvd. in Homewood (after you cross under the trestle beyond N. Point Breeze) and then continues next to Larimer until you get almost to the river. In any case, neither of those neighborhoods are desirable and would be a step down from East Liberty. I personally don't think I'd want to live on Washington Blvd. However, if the landlord really means 5th before you get to Homewood, that might be ok, especially closer to Penn. You should find out exactly where it is and go take a look at the place.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Well, I have definitely just decided to pass on the property. I'm just not getting a good vibe from the whole thing. I did a google street view on the areas around Washington Blvd and it looks pretty run down and sketchy just from the pictures. That and the low rent and the close proximity to possible bad areas is enough to scare me away. Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it!

Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 PM

9 posts, read 23,262 times
I use to work in East Liberty Its full of crime. Take it off your list.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:40 PM

18 posts, read 37,023 times
East liberty is not a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh