Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:49 PM

25 posts, read 87,536 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Pittsburgh at the end of the week and I had a few questions.
First and foremost, what parts of Pittsburgh are the "bad" parts of town. I understand that Pittsburgh is a nice city and everything but let's not lie, every city's got them. I need to know where they are so I can stay out.

Also, what are some good places to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:53 PM

18 posts, read 48,592 times
I use to live in Pittsburgh. Now I live down south.

I would say, just stay out of the city. You will probably run into danger no matter where you go. When I lived there, I just stayed out of the city. No reason to put your life in danger. Go to Monroeville, Robinson, or Cranberry. They are the nicest areas.

There is nothing to do there but drink. Where you visiting from, and why you going to Pittsburgh?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:04 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Ignore the hick from the south. Downtown Pittsburgh is fine and always has been. The bad areas are the Hill District, North Side, Homewood and Wilkinsburg. Our stadiums and science center are on the North Side. Around there you should be quite safe. Go to Mt. Washington for the view of the city. Oakland is home to Pitt University and the Cathedral of Learning is an impressive place to visit. Phipps Conservatory is also there at the entrance to Schenley Park.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,066,997 times
Quote:
Ignore the hick from the south
No kidding. They are recommending Monroeville as one of the nicest areas of Pittsburgh? They obviously haven't been here in about 20 years.

I think PeterRabbit hit the places I was thinking, too. Aside from Grandview in Mt. Washington, which is the street where you can look down upon the city in a breath-taking vista (has been voted most beautiful spot in America more than once) I wouldn't venture too deeply into Mt. Washington.

You have nothing to worry about whatsoever downtown ESPECIALLY since there is little to do in the downtown business district after the work-day closes aside from theatre and some classy bars/restaurants. Pittsburgh is the safest metro out of the top 25 largest metro's in America.

You're right though, there are certainly some rough spots in every city, it's good to stay clear of them.

Quote:
Where you visiting from, and why you going to Pittsburgh?
Okay, the fact that they left out the word ARE in two places in one sentence.. HIGHLY suspicious of hick and totally discredited.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:34 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdfess6 View Post
I'm visiting Pittsburgh at the end of the week and I had a few questions.
First and foremost, what parts of Pittsburgh are the "bad" parts of town. I understand that Pittsburgh is a nice city and everything but let's not lie, every city's got them. I need to know where they are so I can stay out.

Also, what are some good places to see?

First, ignore the first reply on this thread, a total troll. Secondly, some background of yourself would help in answering, like what you like to do, what you're looking for, stuff like that. Myself, a late 20s guy, enjoy going to the South Side, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shady Side, Downtown and the Strip District when I visit, and there's lots to do in every one of them. Those are just some of the neighborhoods I enjoy hanging out in, shopping, eating, a night out. I would stay out of some of the far East End neighborhoods, Lincoln Lemington, Larimer, Homewood.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:40 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,801,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Ignore the hick from the south. Downtown Pittsburgh is fine and always has been. The bad areas are the Hill District, North Side, Homewood and Wilkinsburg. Our stadiums and science center are on the North Side. Around there you should be quite safe. Go to Mt. Washington for the view of the city. Oakland is home to Pitt University and the Cathedral of Learning is an impressive place to visit. Phipps Conservatory is also there at the entrance to Schenley Park.
I would disagree that most of the North Side is perfectly safe, especially around the stadiums and museums, don't venture too far away from these areas at night though.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:42 AM

675 posts, read 2,097,481 times
Check out wikitravel's article on Pittsburgh. It is an excellent collection of information from locals about what you need to know when visiting the city of bridges.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:00 AM

33 posts, read 123,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivebee View Post
I use to live in Pittsburgh. Now I live down south.

I would say, just stay out of the city. You will probably run into danger no matter where you go. When I lived there, I just stayed out of the city. No reason to put your life in danger. Go to Monroeville, Robinson, or Cranberry. They are the nicest areas.

There is nothing to do there but drink. Where you visiting from, and why you going to Pittsburgh?
Run into danger not matter where you? Are you out of your mind? Yeah - I agree, head to Monroeville, Robinson or Cranberry, the absolute lamest, cookie cutter, big box, pavement covered, glossed over suburbs that look like anywhere else... nice? I guess if you're into the Olive Garden and Bed Bath and Beyond, those are for you! *rolls eyes*

Nothing to but drink? I guess if you aren't able to make friends, explore or be part of a community.

I've been all over this fine country and Pittsburgh, hands down, is one of friendliest, safest American cities there is...

Old 07-22-2008, 08:01 AM

85 posts, read 335,434 times
Monroeville, Robinson, or Cranberry are just like every other suburban shopping area in any city. Absolutley no reason so visit these areas. What are you interested in doing?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Also you can do a search for the recent travel articles on Pittsburgh that were in the NY Times and USA Today that hit on some of the more popular attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh